BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2019 Audi A1: First Official Images Of New Plush Hatch

06-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

2019 Audi A1: First Official Images Of New Plush Hatch

Quote:
Audi has been trying to build some hype around the 2019 A1 these past few weeks with an assortment of teasers, but tonight, official images of the new generation sub-compact surfaced online, thanks to Belgian site Autotijd.

The new A1 has a more serious and dynamic exterior than the car it replaces, adopting some of the Q2’s chunky design elements including a more dramatic face with a wider, hexagonal grille and squarer headlights. We have to say, though, that those new “L” shape tail lamps look closer to products from Munich than Ingolstadt.

The two A1 models depicted in these photos are the 35 TSI and 40 TSI, both in S Line trim that apparently comes with more aggressively styled bumpers, a rear diffuser, rocker panels, bigger wheels and honeycomb grille on the outside, along with sportier details inside, like the trimmings, steering wheel and seats.

Virtual Cockpit And MMI Touch Infotainment

The A1’s dash is chock full of lines and angles (and pronounced air vents), typical of VW Group products these days. Audi’s Virtual Cockpit digital instrument panel makes its way inside the A1, as does the new haptic MMI Touch touchscreen display used on the latest A6, A7, A8 and Q8. The colorful accents around the vents suggest that the smallest member of Audi’s lineup will offer plenty of customization and personalization options.

We’ll have to wait a few days to get the skinny on the technical details, but we know that the new A1 is built around the VW Group’s ubiquitous MQB A0 platform that combines aluminum and hot-formed steel within the floorpan. We expect an increase in overall length, width and wheelbase, which will result in improved interior space for rear passengers and luggage capacity.

Powertrain Options

At launch, the engine lineup will largely mirror its VW Polo cousin, with 116PS / 114hp 1.0-liter three-cylinder and 150PS / 148hp 1.5-liter four-cylinder turbo gasoline units. Later on, we will see a hotter S1 with a 250+ hp 2.0-liter turbo and Quattro all-wheel drive. It remains to be seen if the rumors about Audi ditching its diesel offerings on the A1 (at least in some markets) are true.

After an (official) presentation in the coming days and a world premiere at the Paris Auto Show later in October, the new A1 will begin to arrive across dealerships in Europe before the end of the year.
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/06/20...w-plush-hatch/

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

that is wonderful. i WISH they'd bring this to the US i'd totally buy one as a city runaround. I wish Americans were smarter and bought more hatchbacks instead of crossovers. Similiar room, better economy, much smaller for big cities.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      06-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
So it's an Audi Golf.

That dash is worlds better than the RS3.SMH. Not enough HP to interest me, though.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4645.50
      06-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Definitely not a fan of Audi's new exterior styling direction.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
So it's an Audi Golf.

That dash is worlds better than the RS3.SMH. Not enough HP to interest me, though.
Actually its an Audi Polo. The Audi Golf is the A3.
      06-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
So it's an Audi Golf.

Rather have a GTI or Golf R.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
that is wonderful. i WISH they'd bring this to the US i'd totally buy one as a city runaround. I wish Americans were smarter and bought more hatchbacks instead of crossovers. Similiar room, better economy, much smaller for big cities.
Whenever I'm in Europe I see these small sporty hatches from not only Audi but Citroen, Peugeot, Renault, etc. as well. They all look so damn cool. I'd seriously consider one if they were sold here.
Appreciate 1
10"4964.50
      06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Whenever I'm in Europe I see these small sporty hatches from not only Audi but Citroen, Peugeot, Renault, etc. as well. They all look so damn cool. I'd seriously consider one if they were sold here.
seriously....it's amazing to me that families in europe can EASILY travel in 5 door hatchbacks while American families require such massive SUVs and minivans.

i'd love to get a Renault hatchback.....to be honest. Will be years before they come back to the US market and even if they did i doubt they'd bring the good stuff! :/
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
seriously....it's amazing to me that families in europe can EASILY travel in 5 door hatchbacks while American families require such massive SUVs and minivans.

i'd love to get a Renault hatchback.....to be honest. Will be years before they come back to the US market and even if they did i doubt they'd bring the good stuff! :/
Hey, I'm a weirdo that gets a kid and a dog around in a GTI. I'd actually love a Polo GTI or an M140i.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:

American's don't require full size SUVs and vans, it's a choice and a luxury. We have more space and a different culture.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #12
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I'm quite disappointed in this. I'm not a fan of how angular Audi designs are becoming. Even the LED DRL layout -- plainly conceived to mirror the pattern of the taillights, which is a fundamental design misstep that puts branding over safety -- is stylized and far, far too busy.

Audi designs used to use minimalism, materials, and proportion (particularly using convex body forms -- something that Mercedes still does masterfully) to grand effect. No more. Fundamentally, there's not much difference between this and a Civic ... or a Hyundai (the front end shares some of the same styling cues as the new Veloster) ...

... and a BMW, I'm sorry to say ...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Audi is always knocked for being too tame and pedestrian in design, especially on their performance models. Perhaps this is a bit of an over-correction.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
No thanks, give us wagons back instead

An m5 or rs6 or even a m550i wagon would be amazing and way more useful than a tiny hatchback

I would have bought a ctsV wagon if they still made them
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Quote:

An m5 or rs6 or even a m550i wagon would be amazing and way more useful than a tiny hatchback

Meh, keep your two ton barges. I'd consider an RS3 five door with a manual, but that's about as big as I'd ever drive.

It would be great to have a sub Golf sized option, or better, anything under 170" with rwd and a back seat.

Although to be fair, any wagon is better than any SUV or really, any sedan. I'd happily get an S4 Avant for the spouse.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      06-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm quite disappointed in this. I'm not a fan of how angular Audi designs are becoming. Even the LED DRL layout -- plainly conceived to mirror the pattern of the taillights, which is a fundamental design misstep that puts branding over safety -- is stylized and far, far too busy.

Audi designs used to use minimalism, materials, and proportion (particularly using convex body forms -- something that Mercedes still does masterfully) to grand effect. No more. Fundamentally, there's not much difference between this and a Civic ... or a Hyundai (the front end shares some of the same styling cues as the new Veloster) ...

... and a BMW, I'm sorry to say ...
The A1 has always been their over designed thing though. That's okay, leave the volume sellers kinda simple.

We're on different pages with MB's lozenge styling. Really dislike it myself and can't see any similarity to older, bauhaus style Audii.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The A1 has always been their over designed thing though. That's okay, leave the volume sellers kinda simple.

We're on different pages with MB's lozenge styling. Really dislike it myself and can't see any similarity to older, bauhaus style Audii.
I consider the W220-W222 coupes to be some of the most gorgeous large cars ever sold. They vary from model year to model year with really interesting detail adjustments that are all anchored to a common thread -- presence. How is the presence kept? Convex body shapes.

For example, look at a recent S Class alongside a BMW 7 Series. The BMW is peppered with creases that fold inward, resulting in concavity that removes some presence of general shape. The Merc's have creases that almost all curve outward, enhancing the presence of shape. It's that kind of fundamental design philosophy that has defined Merc since the 1950s.

Today, the epitome of this is the GT. Even the rocker-panel crease, designed to accentuate the fenders and slim the sides of the car, is convex below the bend. Contrast that with the i8 -- Concave creases everywhere -- the new Z4, and just about every Japanese car (an exception: the 370z, which I consider among the best production Japanese designs of the last 15 years).

Now, compare the previous A1 to the new one. There are many, many more presence-decreasing concave creases. This even applies to the interior. It's really sad, because the previous-gen Audi designs all retained some fullness despite becoming more angular because the sculpting minimized inward folding. That's no more.

Last edited by Viffermike; 06-19-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #19
thasuperdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

It looks like they're trying too hard to make a "cool" car. Like the new Civic Type-R. Not every car needs to look like a Lambo or McLaren. Less up front and more fender please. 225s won't cut it.
      06-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Gotcha. The AMG GT is a great design (looking for a lighter chassis.). The S Coupes are okay but age poorly to my eyes. The E is, was and always will be a band aid colored taxi to my eyes.

But you also compared the E to the 7er, and both are weird cars that have little appeal to me. I'd have an A6 or XJ in those two size classes.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      06-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #21
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Audi is always knocked for being too tame and pedestrian in design, especially on their performance models. Perhaps this is a bit of an over-correction.
OVER? It's still mundane.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #22
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post

Then buy a used V?
Appreciate 0