BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 Convertible Revealed?

09-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #67
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m34m View Post
Not wrong just misguided. The more voices like that exist the more BMW is inclined to build shit. Just look at the rest of their lineup which has gone soft to pander to the masses. The 3000lb Cayman and Boxster will likely only see street use too but it doesn't mean they need to be compromised performance wise and turned into bloated whales. Ok "dude"?
Before I address the above quote, I want to say that if you don't understand how a convertible sports car, including an 911 GTS convertible, Huracan Spyder, 488 Spyder, etc can be even better to drive on the street in many ways vs a coupe then you're definitely missing out in terms of the driving experience. Go drive a Boxster GTS with the roof down on a sunny day and tell me that hearing even more of the engine and exhaust didn't add to the driving pleasure on the street. If that doesn't make sense to you then I feel bad for you, as you're definitely missing out.

As for your quote above, if you think BMW didn't go soft as of the e9x M3 then enjoy your smooth driving coupe. M lost its way since the e9x based to sell volume for profits. For the first time ever I had to modify my exhaust because the sound proofing made my e93 M3 relatively boring compared to my e46 M3 convertible (not to mention the huge difference in the lack of steering feel and the smoother suspension to boost sales). It's ridiculous that they make an M6 coupe at that weight, let alone the convertible. If the M6 convertible weighed a reasonable amount for an M car then I would have bought one. But even the coupe is unbelievably bloated (I won't get into the X5M/X6M - as good as they drive - the X5M is shockingly good on a track for what it is - they fall under the same category of trying to milk more profits from my perspective).

So in a way we have the same complaint except that you somehow think because BMW makes a convertible M that they have lost their way. But they, in fact, lost their way to boost sales across ALL of the M categories - regardless of whether we're talking about coupes, 4 doors, or convertibles. In fact if the M4 convertible wasn't a hardtop, which is ridiculous for an M car due to the additional weight, then I would consider it more seriously (although I hate the engine on the street due to the turbos, as you definitely feel the lag - which is why I'm holding on to my E93 M3 for now). And don't get me started on the lack of road feel in the steering wheel of the M4 coupe or the crappy exhaust note because they didn't figure out how to make it sound better due to the turbos (I think they need to hire AMG for that). The bottom line is that M lost its way a long time and not because they make convertibles - it's because they need to sell more cars, which is very sad.

I'm done with my rant now. My point is that you're pointing a finger in the wrong direction here. Regardless of whether they make convertibles or any other format, M isn't what it used to be, despite the M4 heading in the right direction in some respects, and I am hoping that with more carbon fiber and hybrid electric engines the next gen will head further back in the right direction towards the E46 and those before it. In the meantime, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they will build an M2 convertible, as the M2 is clearly a step in the right direction...
Excellent post.

I have no idea why alleged M car fans recall aren't aware that BMW has made

-e30 m3 convertible
-e36 m3 convertible
-e46 m4 convertible
-e93 m3 convertible
-f80 m3 convertible

That doesn't even get into the M6, Z3 and Z4 models..

@m34m ...

It's easier to count M cars in coupe form that didn't come in a convertible than the other way around.

1M
So far... M2..
Also true and good points. The question is of those past convertibles how desirable are they today versus their coupe siblings? If the answer is not as desirable then the next question should be why?

Easy questions and easy answers.

As far as desirability when new- clearly people do purchase these cars and enjoy them. I don't see a ton of them languishing on dealer lots. One could easily say an M6 comp package car won't sell anywhere as quicky as an M6 vert ..

I doubt that it matters whether one looks at only M cars or also at the lower models.

In all cases the convertible will cost significantly more than the non convertible model when new, and generally once they are about 3-4 years used , the convertible value begins to drop below the hardtop value and that continues over time with the hardtop eventually having a significantly higher value.

Why ? Here are some reasons that convertibles fare worse in the used market.

- Convertible tops often don't last the life of the vehicle -they eventually fade and get tears or rips in then if not extremely well taken care of.

- Convertible tops are difficult to diagnose when they don't work properly.

- Convertible tops are expensive to repair/replace.

-On models without a glass rear window(fortunately not an issue with most BMWs ) - rear visibility gets worse over time.

- hardtops make better race cars

-Eventually, at some point , a convertible top will leak.

My daughter is on her second E46 convertible. The first one never leaked until after 215k miles ( amazingly- no issues at all with the top motor ) on an 2001 and now her 2004 has under half that mileage and is doing great.

My ex has a 2003 E46 m3 convertible - at 115k miles or so she is just beginning to have some issues with her top with regards to it not closing/motor failing.

So- in my household these cars have been pretty good performers - your mileage may vary

----

I wonder if the e9x and F8x hardtop models will actually fare better than the soft top models when it comes to resale since the exterior condition of the top is not a factor when it comes to age/wear/tear?
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      09-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #68
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Completely agree. I will always have a vert in my stable. Dare I say, weather willing, my S2k, top down, is a more rewarding driving experience than my ///M2

-c
I love driving a convertible when the sun is out (I have a Z4M roadster). But a M2 is somewhat a car that BMW is trying to position as their "ultimate" driving machine that is focused on driving fun and driver involvement.
A four seater convertible will always be heavier, have more bodyflex and is therefore somewhat compromised as a sports car. I think it undermines the purpose of the M2 a little and personally I hope they don't build one. Keeps the M2 in coupe shape a little more exclusive 😊
People who want a four seater convertible BMW-M can always buy a M4 of M6. For people with a M2 budget there is always a M240i convertible and I don't see the need for a sportier M2 convertible.

In my opinion; if you want a sport car that is a convertible you are 100% way better of with a roadster then a four seater convertible… A roadster is more ridgid and less of a compromise then a longer, heavier, four seater convertible. At the time my Z4M roadster was one of the stiffest roadsters out there and you can really feel this. The Z4M roadster is only 15kg heavier then the Z4M coupe. It drives great and the difference between the Z4M coupe vs roadster is not that big in terms of handling!
A four seater M convertible vs the four seater M coupe is a big difference in handling, weight and body flex. In my opinion the four seater convertible does not really deserve the name M anymore, because it is to much of a compromise… but on the other hand a X5 or X6 should also not receive a M model in my opinion

My Z4M kills a lot of faster cars at the track and the handling is awesome. I don't see any other four seater convertibles of any brand doing the same thing as what is possible with a roadster
IMO if you only do fast street driving and want a small four seater convertible a 240i will be all the car you need.

09-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #69
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
I love driving a convertible when the sun is out (I have a Z4M roadster). But a M2 is somewhat a car that BMW is trying to position as their "ultimate" driving machine that is focused on driving fun and driver involvement.
A four seater convertible will always be heavier, have more bodyflex and is therefore somewhat compromised as a sports car. I think it undermines the purpose of the M2 a little and personally I hope they don't build one. Keeps the M2 in coupe shape a little more exclusive 😊
People who want a four seater convertible BMW-M can always buy a M4 of M6. For people with a M2 budget there is always a M240i convertible and I don't see the need for a sportier M2 convertible.

In my opinion; if you want a sport car that is a convertible you are 100% way better of with a roadster then a four seater convertible… A roadster is more ridgid and less of a compromise then a longer, heavier, four seater convertible. At the time my Z4M roadster was one of the stiffest roadsters out there and you can really feel this. The Z4M roadster is only 15kg heavier then the Z4M coupe. It drives great and the difference between the Z4M coupe vs roadster is not that big in terms of handling!
A four seater M convertible vs the four seater M coupe is a big difference in handling, weight and body flex. In my opinion the four seater convertible does not really deserve the name M anymore, because it is to much of a compromise… but on the other hand a X5 or X6 should also not receive a M model in my opinion

My Z4M kills a lot of faster cars at the track and the handling is awesome. I don't see any other four seater convertibles of any brand doing the same thing as what is possible with a roadster
IMO if you only do fast street driving and want a small four seater convertible a 240i will be all the car you need.

I think you make some valid points above EXCEPT you're assuming that anyone wants a cover can buy a roadster. While a roadster is clearly going to be a better driver's car, on average, I buy a 4 seat convertible so I can fit my 2 kids in the back. If a roadster was an option for me I would have bought a Boxster S or GTS literally YEARS ago and been very happy.

Also, the idea of buying an M4 with the hardtop or M6 with the weight isn't very appealing because I still want something that is closer to an E46 M3 Convertible or older in terms of engaging. I think what is being lost on some people who think there shouldn't be an M2 convertible is the whole purpose it would serve - to provide a lower weight and more raw/precise driving experience to those long for a more raw car that BMW doesn't make anymore. That's actually why the M2 coupe is proving to be so popular and the M2 convertible would be popular for the same reason.

BTW, not everyone who would buy an M2 convertible is on an "m2 convertible budget". I can afford an M4 convertible or even an M6 convertible but neither provides me with the driving experience I am looking for. So the M2 convertible could be the PERFECT solution for someone like me, albeit with an interior that isn't as high end as I would like or that I'm willing to pay for. But that small trade off would be more than worth it if the car turns out to be really engaging and keeps me in the M brand. I REALLY don't want to leave the M brand, as I have owned an M for 15+ years now, but I will turn to AMG if I need to in 1-2 years after we see if the M2 convertible and new M6 is released. If the M2 convertible is never released and the new M6 doesn't come in a convertible form or is still bloated then I will have no choice but to look elsewhere, which will be very sad...

Anyhow, I hope this makes people understand where the M2 convertible fits into the M brand and why it might be an important car for some of us M owners out there...
Appreciate 2
SoCalRob281.00
      09-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #70
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
I think you make some valid points above EXCEPT you're assuming that anyone wants a cover can buy a roadster. While a roadster is clearly going to be a better driver's car, on average, I buy a 4 seat convertible so I can fit my 2 kids in the back. If a roadster was an option for me I would have bought a Boxster S or GTS literally YEARS ago and been very happy.

Also, the idea of buying an M4 with the hardtop or M6 with the weight isn't very appealing because I still want something that is closer to an E46 M3 Convertible or older in terms of engaging. I think what is being lost on some people who think there shouldn't be an M2 convertible is the whole purpose it would serve - to provide a lower weight and more raw/precise driving experience to those long for a more raw car that BMW doesn't make anymore. That's actually why the M2 coupe is proving to be so popular and the M2 convertible would be popular for the same reason.

BTW, not everyone who would buy an M2 convertible is on an "m2 convertible budget". I can afford an M4 convertible or even an M6 convertible but neither provides me with the driving experience I am looking for. So the M2 convertible could be the PERFECT solution for someone like me, albeit with an interior that isn't as high end as I would like or that I'm willing to pay for. But that small trade off would be more than worth it if the car turns out to be really engaging and keeps me in the M brand. I REALLY don't want to leave the M brand, as I have owned an M for 15+ years now, but I will turn to AMG if I need to in 1-2 years after we see if the M2 convertible and new M6 is released. If the M2 convertible is never released and the new M6 doesn't come in a convertible form or is still bloated then I will have no choice but to look elsewhere, which will be very sad...

Anyhow, I hope this makes people understand where the M2 convertible fits into the M brand and why it might be an important car for some of us M owners out there...
Indeed you have some valid points (I don't have kids)...and yes it's true what you say about a convertible with a metal roof. You my sir; deserve a M2 convertible 😎
A convertible with a metal folding roof looks mostly like crap with the roof open and closed (fat rear end) and weighs to much. When driving with the metal roof open (that is the main purpose of convertible), then there is zero luggage space in trunk. I don't get it why someone would want a metal roof convertible besides a McLaren roadster or a 485 Italia 😉
      09-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #71
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Easy questions and easy answers.

As far as desirability when new- clearly people do purchase these cars and enjoy them. I don't see a ton of them languishing on dealer lots. One could easily say an M6 comp package car won't sell anywhere as quicky as an M6 vert ..

I doubt that it matters whether one looks at only M cars or also at the lower models.

In all cases the convertible will cost significantly more than the non convertible model when new, and generally once they are about 3-4 years used , the convertible value begins to drop below the hardtop value and that continues over time with the hardtop eventually having a significantly higher value.

Why ? Here are some reasons that convertibles fare worse in the used market.

- Convertible tops often don't last the life of the vehicle -they eventually fade and get tears or rips in then if not extremely well taken care of.

- Convertible tops are difficult to diagnose when they don't work properly.

- Convertible tops are expensive to repair/replace.

-On models without a glass rear window(fortunately not an issue with most BMWs ) - rear visibility gets worse over time.

- hardtops make better race cars

-Eventually, at some point , a convertible top will leak.

My daughter is on her second E46 convertible. The first one never leaked until after 215k miles ( amazingly- no issues at all with the top motor ) on an 2001 and now her 2004 has under half that mileage and is doing great.

My ex has a 2003 E46 m3 convertible - at 115k miles or so she is just beginning to have some issues with her top with regards to it not closing/motor failing.

So- in my household these cars have been pretty good performers - your mileage may vary

----

I wonder if the e9x and F8x hardtop models will actually fare better than the soft top models when it comes to resale since the exterior condition of the top is not a factor when it comes to age/wear/tear?
I'm just glad the only one having problems is your ex. I assume there's a reason she's your ex so
That is all.