BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Placement of dashcam, am I thinking right?

06-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
I'm thinking about buing a Blackvue and want the camera to be least visible possible from outside and least obstructing from inside.

So I was thinking of placing the adhesive contact point on the black dotted area of the windshiel surrounding the rear view mirror. And sort of behind the whole plastic cover that is covering the forward pointing sensors so it wont obstruct my view in a noticable fashion.

So, my question, how silly it may sound, is if anyone knows that the placement is totally fine? I mean, I don't want to block any sensors etc, I guess this is my biggest concern..

Also, for a rear camera with tinted rear window, do you guys place it with the adhesive on the tint or is there any other location that is good for placing the rear camera?

I tried drawing an image to visualize how I mean, I discovered that I haven't really advanced in drawing skills since 6th grade...

I attached the image in case it doesn't display correctly in the post. I also borrowed the picture from another post I saw because it was taken from a perfect angle so hope that's ok..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
300f87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Which model are you looking at? Higher-end models like DR750S and DR900S have a microSD card slot and a button that turns off wifi (or formats the card if you hold for 5 sec or so) on one end of the barrel, and a proxmity sensor to turn on and off sound recording on the other end.

It looks like, for your chosen location, you will need to mount the cam upside down to avoid blocking the lens with the dot matrix. Whichever model you get, you will lose access to the microSD slot and the “wifi” button, while the cam is mounted.

I have (well had, during my ED trip) a DR750S mounted right below the mirror base, but that might not work for you seeing that you have a detector mirror-mounted. Mine does not obstruct my view much since it is behind the rearview mirror from the driver’s seat.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
That's exactly how mine is mounted. I've got the previous version of this camera:
https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardi...dp/B076ZYQK1J/
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300f87 View Post
Which model are you looking at? Higher-end models like DR750S and DR900S have a microSD card slot and a button that turns off wifi (or formats the card if you hold for 5 sec or so) on one end of the barrel, and a proxmity sensor to turn on and off sound recording on the other end.

It looks like, for your chosen location, you will need to mount the cam upside down to avoid blocking the lens with the dot matrix. Whichever model you get, you will lose access to the microSD slot and the "wifi" button, while the cam is mounted.

I have (well had, during my ED trip) a DR750S mounted right below the mirror base, but that might not work for you seeing that you have a detector mirror-mounted. Mine does not obstruct my view much since it is behind the rearview mirror from the driver's seat.
I don't have a radar detector, I just borrowed the picture from someone who had..
I'm looking at the DR750s and above at this point, people drive like crazy so it would feel great to have a recording if/when something happens.

So your idea might work, I'll think about it.
About the dotted matrix, I was thinking about placing it so as much of the adhesive is on the dots but the camera lens will be low enough so it will not be obstructed, at least that's my idea..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
300f87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
I don't have a radar detector, I just borrowed the picture from someone who had..
I'm looking at the DR750s and above at this point, people drive like crazy so it would feel great to have a recording if/when something happens.

So your idea might work, I'll think about it.
About the dotted matrix, I was thinking about placing it so as much of the adhesive is on the dots but the camera lens will be low enough so it will not be obstructed, at least that's my idea..
You get an extra adhesive sticker, so you can re-mount the cam elsewhere if you don’t like the location. I mounted it below the mirror base as I wanted easy access to both sides of the cam. You can wave your hand over the proximity sensor on the driver side to turn on/off sound recording, and also flag the current video so that it does not get overwritten (if anything interesting happens while you drive ).
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I just posted this pic over in the radar detector thread, but: if you want the camera centered you'll need to mount below the mirror. In the position I used, I can't see the camera while driving at all (blocked by mirror), but it has a perfect view of everything...
Attached Images

I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #7
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
I just posted this pic over in the radar detector thread, but: if you want the camera centered you'll need to mount below the mirror. In the position I used, I can't see the camera while driving at all (blocked by mirror), but it has a perfect view of everything...
Interesting! I don't need to have the camera centered as long as it has a perfectly clear forward view. I guess I'll have to think about it, appreciate the input!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I'm also tall (6ft 3inches / ~190cm) so my head is almost even with the mirror to begin with, so that helps hide the camera from my own view. I suspect a shorter driver would have the camera in their sightline...
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #9
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I have mine positioned pretty much exactly as you have pictured albeit on the opposite side. I also have a tinted strip along the top of the windscreen which hides the mount even more.

Appreciate 2
      06-19-2018, 12:06 AM   #10
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I have mine positioned pretty much exactly as you have pictured albeit on the opposite side. I also have a tinted strip along the top of the windscreen which hides the mount even more.

Is that white square on the front of the rear view mirror some sensor? Never noticed it..
I guess there is some risk of blocking it if you were to put the camera centered right underneath the mirror..?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:43 AM   #11
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
That white square is for the "reference" light value for the auto-dimming mirror. As long as it's getting some sense of "ambient" light it's not a big deal. You don't want to put something directly in front of it, but as long as light is reaching it you should be OK.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #12
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
That white square is for the "reference" light value for the auto-dimming mirror. As long as it's getting some sense of "ambient" light it's not a big deal. You don't want to put something directly in front of it, but as long as light is reaching it you should be OK.
Ah, great. Thanks!
Appreciate 0