BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > rev match downshift

01-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #45
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Guys
Personally I would like the ability to turn it off without putting the car in "kill yourself mode" and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Protects owners from destroying their transmissions and reduces warranty claims.
Actually agree with this - it certainly helps reduce wear on the clutch. What is funny however is that the clutch is no longer covered under the maintenance agreement for 2017s....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
I agree, brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch.
Was thinking about this - not sure I agree any more. Changing the brakes often means changing the rotors and therefore I am not sure that brakes are actually cheaper than a clutch these days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
I'm a die hard manual driver and I thought I was going to hate the rev-match feature because I've always liked heel and toeing myself.

But I've been converted. It allows you to drive the car faster and brake a lot better because you can keep your whole foot on the brake pedal thus allowing one to apply more braking force. This makes a big difference for anyone who drives at the track!
Except it is disabled in sport plus - the mode you would use on the track. Maybe BMW got it reversed?
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #46
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Except it is disabled in sport plus - the mode you would use on the track. Maybe BMW got it reversed?
I'm not 100% but I thought it still rev matched in Sport+. to get it turned off you have to put it in sport+ and completely disable traction by holding down the traction button for 3 seconds until its completely off and not just MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #47
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I'm not 100% but I thought it still rev matched in Sport+. to get it turned off you have to put it in sport+ and completely disable traction by holding down the traction button for 3 seconds until its completely off and not just MDM mode.
That is correct. Rev match is only disabled if:

- Car is in Sport+

AND

- Traction control is OFF
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #48
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
I understand where you are coming from, barely discernable wear with rev matching, but at any rate I can change brake pads myself especially on this car. I Can't do the clutch myself and it has a dual mass flywheel which has springs in it, they wear out too, maybe before the clutch disk. I don't want to deal with that expensive part either. So as a rule I don't replace engine braking with brakes for the most part, old habits die hard. Thinking about it you're probably right, this should last at least as long as I own it. I still enjoy driving this beast! Thanks for the input.
No problem! I think most don't think of it that way these days. Let's face it, a clutch isn't really a maintenence item anymore. Especially the DCT clutch pack. Depends how long you own the car. Up to 50k miles, you should not be thinking about a clutch, while you could be on a second set of brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #49
BFLY
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2020 BMW/M2C  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 3.5d  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:

- Car is in Sport+

AND

Interesting. I don't have that option. I have either sport + or hold down and turn it all off.
Throttle response isn't the same for both.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #50
BFLY
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2020 BMW/M2C  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 3.5d  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:

- Car is in Sport+

AND

Interesting. I don't have that option. I have either sport + or hold down and turn it all off.
Throttle response isn't the same for both.
I found this that outlines the settings. Seems inline with my car settings (Canadian), not sure about everywhere else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00