BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Right Clunking Sound on Bumps ?

10-02-2022, 01:13 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Front Right Clunking Sound on Bumps ?

Just recently after leaving my parking garage, I noticed my car does a loud clunking sound when going over a speed bump on the front right side. I tried the front left and there was no sound. I also only notice it on big bumps like speed bumps. Is this normal ? I'm assuming a bolt is loose or something is broken. the only aftermarket suspension modification I have done are lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #2
F87_M2SH
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Just recently after leaving my parking garage, I noticed my car does a loud clunking sound when going over a speed bump on the front right side. I tried the front left and there was no sound. I also only notice it on big bumps like speed bumps. Is this normal ? I'm assuming a bolt is loose or something is broken. the only aftermarket suspension modification I have done are lowering springs
I am pretty sure it's a bad shock I had the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

As it only happens on one side - it is not normal.

My 2017 LCI did something similar on the other side. That turnout to be a defective bottom balljoint necessitating the replacement of one of the two lower arms (Tension Strut or Wishbone).

But it could also be the track rod end, swaybar link, something loose in the strut top mount, or a problem with the bolt that clamps the bottom of the strut in place.

HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 10-03-2022 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #4
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
As it only happens on one side - it is not normal.

My 2017 LCI did something similar on the other side. That turnout to be a defective bottom balljoint necessitating the replacement of one of the two lower arms (Tension Strut or Wishbone).

But it could also be the track rod end, swaybar link, something loose in the strut top mount, or a problem with the bolt that clamps the bottom of the strut in place.

HTH
is it strange that it only does it some days ? this morning it didn't do it at all I'm bring my car back to the shop this week though so I'll definitely have them check things out.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_M2SH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
I am pretty sure it's a bad shock I had the same problem.
I really hope not. wouldn't that affect the whole drive feeling though, not just on bumps ?
Appreciate 0