BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Just another review and some track stuff

10-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Just another review and some track stuff

I’ve held back on my review for quite some time, but now that I’ve spent some time on the track with about 3000 km daily driving, I can finally give a better impression on the M2.

Before I begin, a little background. I came from a Lotus Elise SC and an Abarth as my DD, so my opinion is quite skewed. If you are expecting a typical “M2 is the best thing since the E30 M3” Review, you are going to be disappointed.

First week of ownership for me was very disappointing. (I bought the car with about 2000 km on it, so first service was done and it was broken in) I bought into all the hype watching every youtube clips I can find, but it never lived up to my super high expectation. I was expecting the M2 to be one of those drift scooters with a jetpack strapped on my back. Obviously, my first drive (never test drove it) was a major let down. The car felt big and heavy, the DCT is unbearably slow on downshifts, and the interior is just boring. It was however very comfortable and served the purpose of doing the occasional driving with two kids. I did not find the suspension to be harsh, and being 5’7 with two young kids, the car was quite roomy. Our DD is a Macan, and the kids actually prefered the M2. The colour LBB is quite nice while not being full blown neon green, is still capable of getting some attention in the sea of white cars around my neighbourhood. The power is there and the torque was amazing until I test drove a Tesla X P90D a couple days ago.

A couple days into ownership, after all the bitching about the DCT not being as fast as PDK… I learned that in Comfort mode, the downshift only happens if the rev matches perfectly to maximize smoothness. Once in Sport or Sport +, when I downshift it happens without delay. (Felt like an idiot) While the actual shift is still a tad slower than PDK by micro seconds, it is definitely acceptable. While we are on the topic of transmission, many friends have asked if I miss driving stick. When I made the switch, I had a tough time convincing myself to go DCT. But it was the last one in the country and all the youtube reviews convinced me that I should buy an M2 right now. I never bought into the purist, more involvement, engagement belief. I’ve had DSG/PDK/DCT and also manual in many cars. I don’t mind driving manual, but I also don’t find more enjoyment rolling through gears, heel toe or unnecessary double clutching (yes I know I don’t need to with a synchro)... The Lotus is more “pure” than the M2, but it’s not only because of the transmission.

About a month in and I continue to find more features/Easter Eggs (the secret loud button, Lap Timer, garage opener, press the car handle to lock car…), I am enjoying this as a daily more. Already drove it more than the Lotus, mainly because my kids can legally sit inside and trying to save some mileage on the Macan.

Finally had a chance to get on the track yesterday. Cold and slightly wet, (4-8 Degree Celcius) not the most ideal scenario for an M2, but I really wanted to see what it can do at the track before the season is over. Disclaimer: I’m not a track pro, I go to the track about 4-6 times a year. With the condition yesterday, I’m sure I didn’t even come close to reaching the car’s limit. To put it into perspective, my best time was 2:10, most track junkies were posting times at 2:05 with modded 350Zs on a regular day. So even though I was no where close, I still came away very impressed with the car’s performance. It was fast, faster than the Lotus with 048 Tires. It was very easy to drive and surprisingly forgiving. I guess that’s what they meant by a well balanced car. It felt much more nimble on the track and doing things I didn’t expect. The PSS was great. The only thing I’d change is brake pads and fluid. It was getting a little mushy towards the end of some long 30 min sessions. The DCT is idiot proof for the track, yes all you GTR haters, your hate is warranted. But what the DCT took away in “engagement”, it allowed me to focus more on the lines, braking, avoiding water, carrying more speed into a corner… At the end of the day, it performed well and had a nice relaxing drive back home not having to worry about any mechanical problems. Gas might have been my only concern, I wish I had a bigger tank…

So my conclusion after a track day and some daily driving... I like the M2 a lot, but I do not love it like I did with my Lotus. It’s like an old girlfriend that you always bring back in any conversation about your current one. I think I need to find some sort of a support group and just get over it. I’m getting old and can’t drive the Elise to a track day without breaking my back. I’m mechanically challenged, so I’m worried about any problems that might pop up to what it already has. I’m happy with the M2 and it’s a car that makes sense. But I’ll be looking for something else down the road when I don’t need the rear seats.

Some track videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKYBIrChHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNMc5vZCpuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXB3uqdht0
Appreciate 2
Sebis186.50
      10-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
racer34v
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Is there a cumulative list of the easter eggs on here yet that you know of?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer34v View Post
Is there a cumulative list of the easter eggs on here yet that you know of?

Thanks!
Not specifically for the M2, but there was one for the F8X forum that someone posted here.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
MRufo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I would have to agree on the DCT.
I like the girl friend analogy - except for me it's starting to change. The more I'm with her and explore the better it gets. Granted im only at 1000 miles!
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
I’ve held back on my review for quite some time, but now that I’ve spent some time on the track with about 3000 km daily driving, I can finally give a better impression on the M2.

Before I begin, a little background. I came from a Lotus Elise SC and an Abarth as my DD, so my opinion is quite skewed. If you are expecting a typical “M2 is the best thing since the E30 M3” Review, you are going to be disappointed.

First week of ownership for me was very disappointing. (I bought the car with about 2000 km on it, so first service was done and it was broken in) I bought into all the hype watching every youtube clips I can find, but it never lived up to my super high expectation. I was expecting the M2 to be one of those drift scooters with a jetpack strapped on my back. Obviously, my first drive (never test drove it) was a major let down. The car felt big and heavy, the DCT is unbearably slow on downshifts, and the interior is just boring. It was however very comfortable and served the purpose of doing the occasional driving with two kids. I did not find the suspension to be harsh, and being 5’7 with two young kids, the car was quite roomy. Our DD is a Macan, and the kids actually prefered the M2. The colour LBB is quite nice while not being full blown neon green, is still capable of getting some attention in the sea of white cars around my neighbourhood. The power is there and the torque was amazing until I test drove a Tesla X P90D a couple days ago.

Thanks for your review and honest opinion. I too have (one) kid thus I need a car with real back seats and can't afford to buy a Cayman to only drive it by myself during lunch break. How would you rate the M2 as compared to the Macan in terms of excitement? I like my Macan S a lot but it feels special and fun only when you take it open road and reach speeds that border on illegal . Is the M2 fun to drive on a day-by-day basis, let's say on your way to school to pick up the kids?
      10-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebis View Post
Thanks for your review and honest opinion. I too have (one) kid thus I need a car with real back seats and can't afford to buy a Cayman to only drive it by myself during lunch break. How would you rate the M2 as compared to the Macan in terms of excitement? I like my Macan S a lot but it feels special and fun only when you take it open road and reach speeds that border on illegal . Is the M2 fun to drive on a day-by-day basis, let's say on your way to school to pick up the kids?
Let's put it this way, we had a V6 Q7 before. When we test drove the Macan S, we felt it was fast. Not 911 fast, but fast enough for any day to day use. After using the M2 as a DD for a week, going back to the Macan today... it felt slow and sluggish. Having said that, it's not a fair comparison IMO. They are two in two compleletely different segments. The Macan is as close to a sport car as you can get in an SUV. (I don't really consider the GLA AMG an SUV)
Appreciate 1
Sebis186.50
      10-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I would have bought a 2012-up Exige if they were sold here. Don't like the old shape.

Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
I would have bought a 2012-up Exige if they were sold here. Don't like the old shape.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lotus/Exi...O&orup=1_15_29

Yep, this would have been mine if it was street legal here. Such a tease to sell this at a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #9
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I'm also an Elise SC driver and I must admit that the M2 doesn't begin to compare for driving sensation, even if it faster above 100 kph. My M2 should arrive in the spring but there's absolutely no way, no way I'm selling the Elise which is a pure joy to drive with the top off.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si
First week of ownership for me was very disappointing. (I bought the car with about 2000 km on it, so first service was done and it was broken in) I bought into all the hype watching every youtube clips I can find, but it never lived up to my super high expectation. I was expecting the M2 to be one of those drift scooters with a jetpack strapped on my back. Obviously, my first drive (never test drove it) was a major let down. The car felt big and heavy, the DCT is unbearably slow on downshifts, and the interior is just boring. It was however very comfortable and served the purpose of doing the occasional driving with two kids.
Same here,a great car but ever so slightly over-hyped imo and too near in performance and interior design to the m*40i (note:Performance,not handling) and hopefully something that the CS may address.

Possibly one of the reasons why there's a boat load on Auto trader in the UK...
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50