BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > DIY Tips: Wheel Cleaning

08-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

DIY Tips: Wheel Cleaning

Severe Brake Dust on our BMW X3MC's...

Here's how I took care of them on this wash... (I'm always testing and trying out new products to cut time on cleaning)

Products Used
Aenso Revolve Tire Cleaner
Aenso Isern Wheel Cleaner
Aenso Orbit Tire Dressing
Wheel Woolies Wheel Brush
Detail Factory Tire Brush
Detail Factory Wheel Brush Kit (great for inner wheel barrel)

Super Bad Brake Dust

The brake dust was so bad that I had to repeat the cleaning process a couple of times.

After
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:29 AM   #2
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

looks great, thanks for sharing!

Question:

How are you dealing with the rust on the brake rotors? After I've washed the car, all the rotors are rusty. Are you driving the cars after you've washed the wheels to clean them or are you removing the wheels?
Especially on black wheels, the brake rust from the water is really annoying because it makes the wheels dirty after applying the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post

Question:

How are you dealing with the rust on the brake rotors? After I've washed the car, all the rotors are rusty. Are you driving the cars after you've washed the wheels to clean them or are you removing the wheels?
Especially on black wheels, the brake rust from the water is really annoying because it makes the wheels dirty after applying the brakes.
Nothing like rusty rotors to make a great cleaning job look bad. This is the main reason I don't wash my car at home. I'm sensitive to it as well, so I painted my rotor edges/vanes and holes with high temp black paint to keep even the dripping or visible rust to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I use this product for rotor rust and it's a game changer. Clean and rinse wheel, spray rotors while they are still wet, no rust whatsoever. A gallon has lasted me over a year.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...rust-inhibitor
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-31-2022, 07:05 AM   #5
cb804
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340 xDrive, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post

Question:

After washing the car, I'll reverse it down the driveway before drying and apply the brakes before the rotors get all rusty. Then I pull the car into the garage to dry. I dry the wheels and rotors with the Metro Vac. No more rusty rotors after washing!!!

The Metro Vac works great for overall drying and makes interior cleaning quick too.

https://www.amazon.com/Force-Blaster...ps%2C80&sr=8-8
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-31-2022, 07:43 AM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I use this product for rotor rust and it's a game changer. Clean and rinse wheel, spray rotors while they are still wet, no rust whatsoever. A gallon has lasted me over a year.

That dude is such an idiot though, wow.

I'd also caution anyone using spray-on chemicals, as you can easily cloud or damage the wheel finish or the ceramic coated finish.

1. Wash the car.
2. Blow off the wheels/rotors with a high-powered blower.
3. Drive the car around the block.
4. Clean the wheels by hand.

Blowing off the wheels/rotors keeps the heavy water from accumulating and thus the heavy rust from accumulating. Driving the car around the block after the wheels/rotors are dry keeps any surface rust away. Clean the wheel last, and IMO don't use any chemical on it at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 07:45 AM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:

I'd also caution anyone using spray-on chemicals, as you can easily cloud or damage the wheel finish or the ceramic coated finish.

1. Wash the car.

Blowing off the wheels/rotors keeps the heavy water from accumulating and thus the heavy rust from accumulating. Driving the car around the block after the wheels/rotors are dry keeps any surface rust away. Clean the wheel last, and IMO don't use any chemical on it at all.
It's funny, I've noticed in a lot of threads, if it's not your idea you're not in favor of it. Weird.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-31-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
It's funny, I've noticed in a lot of threads, if it's not your idea you're not in favor of it. Weird.
I guess it's called experience. I've used many products in the past that were supposed to be "safe", yet they turned out not to be in certain situations. If I can get away with doing something without using chemicals, I will. Of course, I was only a detailist for 5 years, it isn't my profession, so those reading my advice should take that into consideration.

And by the way, this isn't my idea, it's common practice in circles where fragile/different surfaces are being considered.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #9
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it's called experience. I've used many products in the past that were supposed to be "safe", yet they turned out not to be in certain situations. If I can get away with doing something without using chemicals, I will. Of course, I was only a detailist for 5 years, it isn't my profession, so those reading my advice should take that into consideration.

And by the way, this isn't my idea, it's common practice in circles where fragile/different surfaces are being considered.
You're speaking very authoritatively on a product you don't know causes damage, you are assuming. And that steers people the wrong way. Be more open minded before you blast something you have no idea about.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-31-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Detailist?

It's a simple corrosion inhibitor that people have been using for like 10 years, seems to be mainly a sodium nitrite solution. Wheels are clearcoated and have extreme chemical resistance. It's no different than paint. If there were an issue, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it in the past 10 years.

You won't use this, but have you seen what's in most wheel cleaners that people use with no problem every week? 99% of chemicals will not strip a ceramic coating btw. It takes something that will act as a solvent for siloxanes to really attack a "ceramic" coating.

Koch Chemie Green Star should have a bit of corrosion inhibitor activity and is safe to spray on wheels. I've heard the same about P&S Brake Buster but never tested.

Last edited by chris719; 08-31-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
You're speaking very authoritatively on a product you don't know causes damage, you are assuming. And that steers people the wrong way. Be more open minded before you blast something you have no idea about.
Better safe than sorry when you're talking about my level of OCD. Use what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Detailist?

It's a simple corrosion inhibitor that people have been using for like 10 years, seems to be mainly a sodium nitrite solution. Wheels are clearcoated and have extreme chemical resistance. It's no different than paint. If there were an issue, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it in the past 10 years.
Yes, detailist. I worked for Nissan in that capacity.

So because you haven't heard of an issue means it works great on every surface? That's not a smart stance at all, and certainly not professional.
Doesn't sound like you have a set of $10K wheels either.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Better safe than sorry when you're talking about my level of OCD. Use what you want.

Quote:
Detailist?

So because you haven't heard of an issue means it works great on every surface? That's not a smart stance at all, and certainly not professional.
What you are displaying is pure arrogance. And that has been displayed in many threads. It doesn't add to productive discussion.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-31-2022, 11:57 AM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

It’s a weak solution. The main ingredient is also in hotdogs. Your wheels, like everyone else’s, are cleared. If you do any research then you’d see it’s been used by actual pro detailers on cars and wheels more expensive for quite a while.

Does the exorbitant price of BBS wheels mean they source the clearcoat from someone other than BASF, PPG, etc? lol

I still wouldn’t use this product because it’s solving a problem that doesn’t bother me since the rust is gone with a light brake application. However, your fearmongering with zero evidence, seems misplaced.

Last edited by chris719; 08-31-2022 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:05 PM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
What you are displaying is pure arrogance. And that has been displayed in many threads. It doesn't add to productive discussion.
What I say comes from experience, I can't help if you don't value that. Your posts sound like you're trying to sell something...

And there is an ignore feature on message boards for a reason. Feel free to use it sir.

Quote:
It’s a weak solution. The main ingredient is also in hotdogs.
Why does that not make me feel any better about it?

Quote:
Your wheels, like everyone else’s, are cleared. If you do any research then you’d see it’s been used by actual pro detailers on cars and wheels more expensive for quite a while.
It's not just the wheels that are a concern, but I tire of arguing with someone like yourself, who enjoys arguing.

Quote:
Does the exorbitant price of BBS wheels mean they source the clearcoat from someone other than BASF, PPG, etc? lol
Case in point. The finish on the FI-R is fine, as is the C5 wheel armor, but I've seen with my own eyes products of this type make ceramic coating cloudy.

I also invite you to use the ignore feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:

1. Wash the car.

Points 2 and 3 are unnecesary, unless you are mentally ill, driving the car will cause accumulation of dust when you go to dry it you will leave it full of swirls.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:03 PM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What I say comes from experience, I can't help if you don't value that. Your posts sound like you're trying to sell something...

And there is an ignore feature on message boards for a reason. Feel free to use it sir.

Why does that not make me feel any better about it?

It's not just the wheels that are a concern, but I tire of arguing with someone like yourself, who enjoys arguing.

Case in point. The finish on the FI-R is fine, as is the C5 wheel armor, but I've seen with my own eyes products of this type make ceramic coating cloudy.

I also invite you to use the ignore feature.
You have no experience with any product like this as you said yourself, nor do you know what's in this solution, so why would it make the coating cloudy? Ceramic coatings are mainly composed of polydimethylsiloxanes and are extremely chemically inert.

Listen, all you had to say was that you prefer not to use the product on your wheels out of caution. You didn't have to go on some rant about this. He was just trying to point out something that works for him and has been helpful.

Last edited by chris719; 08-31-2022 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:18 PM   #17
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
At least the fear mongering makes new threads entertaining to read through. Something the M2 posts need these days.

For the ones arguing, you wouldn't think it's possible to convert a republican into a democrat over a few sentences of conjecture, would you? Just let differences of opinions be just that, who gives af. Ain't no one changin noones minds these days about anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:48 PM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
At least the fear mongering makes new threads entertaining to read through. Something the M2 posts need these days.

For the ones arguing, you wouldn't think it's possible to convert a republican into a democrat over a few sentences of conjecture, would you? Just let differences of opinions be just that, who gives af. Ain't no one changin noones minds these days about anything.
Of course not, but it only takes a minute to do a Google search and see what's up with the product, rather than idle speculation. The product seems rather pointless to me, but I also see no safety concerns.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #19
Mattaos
Rep
Drives: OG M2

I wash my wheels after washing the main body of the car. Once I've done a final rinse of a wheel I hit the rotor with a leaf blower until it's as dry as I can get it. This has minimised but not eliminated the rust problem. I think most of it now comes from the back part of the rotor that's closest to the dust shield.

This generally means the wheels have a very light dusting of orange rather than a lot.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I do have to say that it is good to be careful with chemicals on wheels. Don't get me wrong, most won't do anything bad but there are some that say are safe and will damage wheels. Because wheels have different finishes some are not tested on all finishes. For example I used to use adams wheel cleaner which on my silver apex does nothing, I mean it helps clean them but the finish looks fine.

However on my bronze powder coated wheels was leaving a weird white residue, I went searching and apparently other people have had the same problem. Mine came out but some peoples did not. So yeah just smart to test the product on the back of the wheel and see if anything happens and if not then its probably fine.

I usually wash the car, blow dry it and then go for a very quick drive and hit the brakes a few times to remove the rust layer if it had formed or just to get the wheels dried up.

That said I don't care about a bit of rust on the rotors, its a part that will get replaced anyways but I know some here are more OCD than I.

Its funny that everyone here is right yet yall are fighting... Mphatic is right that some products will damage wheels but claim they are amazing and won't damage any finish but also chris and allinon are right that maybe that product is totally fine on wheels (at least on theirs).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 07:14 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I do have to say that it is good to be careful with chemicals on wheels. Don't get me wrong, most won't do anything bad but there are some that say are safe and will damage wheels. Because wheels have different finishes some are not tested on all finishes. For example I used to use adams wheel cleaner which on my silver apex does nothing, I mean it helps clean them but the finish looks fine.

However on my bronze powder coated wheels was leaving a weird white residue, I went searching and apparently other people have had the same problem. Mine came out but some peoples did not. So yeah just smart to test the product on the back of the wheel and see if anything happens and if not then its probably fine.

I usually wash the car, blow dry it and then go for a very quick drive and hit the brakes a few times to remove the rust layer if it had formed or just to get the wheels dried up.

That said I don't care about a bit of rust on the rotors, its a part that will get replaced anyways but I know some here are more OCD than I.

Its funny that everyone here is right yet yall are fighting... Mphatic is right that some products will damage wheels but claim they are amazing and won't damage any finish but also chris and allinon are right that maybe that product is totally fine on wheels (at least on theirs).
99% of OEM and good aftermarket wheels have the same finish, which is a painted clearcoat from companies under the PPG, BASF, or Axalta umbrellas. Powder coat clear is less chemically resistant, which is one reason why OEMs don't generally do it. You should spot test any product, especially if you have refinished / PC wheels.

In the end, doing any amount of research would indicate that the product is likely to be safe. Always better to do research and see how other people have used it and their results before buying anything. Still, like I said, spot test.

Last edited by chris719; 09-04-2022 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #22
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
After trying most products under the sun and buying 13+ different brands of wheels brushes. Ive come to the conclusion that the quickest and best way to wash wheels is with plain soap + water and microfiber gloves!

https://www.amazon.com/Dusting-Kitch.../dp/B094FY7TLX

The brushes and chemical products just lacked and always required touch up after. Especially after I started tracking every month. Hands + soap and water = perfect. If the gaps are too small and you cant reach the barrel, then youll need a brush though.
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 2