BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Spoiler Glue Stuck

01-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
hey guys, recently I just had my shop install my new spoiler and apparently the previous one was glued on the trunk… the glue is stuck on there pretty good and even stripped some of the clear coat off my old spoiler. due to this, fitment with 3M tape on my new spoiler was not as I wanted and would really appreciate any recommendations on what I can do. the 3M tape is exposed and can be seen in sunlight as shown in the picture some of the glue came off the sides but the middle area still has a good amount of glue left. I'm not exactly sure what type of glue it is but it's black and seems to be like super bondo or something. I was recommended an easer gun or getting body work done but not sure what is best.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I hate to say it but it sound like respraying the trunk may be your only option if you want it perfect.

I’m having my OE spoiler removed in favor of a M2CS spoiler tomorrow by a body shop. God forbid it goes sideways, that’s my backup plan.

They’re a certified BMW body shop so my hope is that they can get the factory glue/tape off and get the new CS spoiler on without issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
I hate to say it but it sound like respraying the trunk may be your only option if you want it perfect.

I’m having my OE spoiler removed in favor of a M2CS spoiler tomorrow by a body shop. God forbid it goes sideways, that’s my backup plan.

They’re a certified BMW body shop so my hope is that they can get the factory glue/tape off and get the new CS spoiler on without issue.
yea that's what I figured. the glue was removable with my finger nail, but like I said it's stuck on there pretty good. I contacted a detailer shop to see if they can help
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post

Not sure why you used a body shop but stock adhesive will definitely come off clean so they will have little problem whatsoever

I agree with your assessment 💯
      01-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman's Brother View Post

I'm having my OE spoiler removed in favor of a M2CS spoiler tomorrow by a body shop. God forbid it goes sideways, that's my backup plan.

They're a certified BMW body shop so my hope is that they can get the factory glue/tape off and get the new CS spoiler on without issue.
Not sure why you used a body shop but stock adhesive will definitely come off clean so they will have little problem whatsoever

really hoping this can be fixed. fitment is horrendous
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm having my OE spoiler removed in favor of a M2CS spoiler tomorrow by a body shop. God forbid it goes sideways, that's my backup plan.

They're a certified BMW body shop so my hope is that they can get the factory glue/tape off and get the new CS spoiler on without issue.

I'd probably take that to a body shop that way they can refinish the entire trunk lid

It can take sometimes a few hours to remove adhesive off of an old spoiler once it's removed from the trunk lid

If you have the body shop doing everything it's gonna cost you quite a bit
      01-11-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd probably take that to a body shop that way they can refinish the entire trunk lid
only the top would need painting right, not the whole trunk ?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you take a good look at your trunk lid it's got scratches all over it

I'd repaint the whole thing

And then if that's not a factory Spoiler that's your biggest problem get a OEM spoiler for proper fit
      01-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And then if that's not a factory Spoiler that's your biggest problem get a OEM spoiler for proper fit
it doesn't have scratches as of now, the shop that installed the new spoiler didn't even attempt to strip the glue off
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #10
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Not sure why you used a body shop
Because I have delicate, worthless hands

But seriously,, they’re doing the M2CS spoiler, M Perf carbon diffuser, and TRE carbon front lip all at once for me tomorrow. While I could have tackled the spoiler and diffuser, the lip is going to be a PITA and I’d just prefer it be in the hands of very seasoned Pros.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      01-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure why you used a body shop
Because I have delicate, worthless hands

But seriously,, they're doing the M2CS spoiler, M Perf carbon diffuser, and TRE carbon front lip all at once for me tomorrow. While I could have tackled the spoiler and diffuser, the lip is going to be a PITA and I'd just prefer it be in the hands of very seasoned Pros.

Understood

That's going to be nice when you're done
      01-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #12
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with your assessment đź’Ż

it doesn't have scratches as of now, the shop that installed the new spoiler didn't even attempt to strip the glue off
Zoom in on your photos

The clearcoat appears to be scratched that can be fixed at the same time
      01-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Zoom in on your photos

The clearcoat appears to be scratched that can be fixed at the same time
I think it's just the reflection, I'll double check when I get home. appreciate you spotting that out though
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      01-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #14
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
update, I don't think it's actual glue, I think it's just really hard dried up 3M tape. it was 19 degrees today so that might be why it was so hard. it looks like it crumbled up on the bottom of the previous spoiler. hopefully a heat gun and eraser wheel will do the trick
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #15
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
update, I don't think it's actual glue, I think it's just really hard dried up 3M tape. it was 19 degrees today so that might be why it was so hard. it looks like it crumbled up on the bottom of the previous spoiler. hopefully a heat gun and eraser wheel will do the trick
Just get that spoiler removed and take your time and do it right

Get some of these why your at it
Attached Images

01-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #16
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:

the shop actually use adhesive promoter I was with them when they installed it. I think warmer weather and 3m rubber wheel my best bet
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      01-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #17
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the shop actually use adhesive promoter I was with them when they installed it. I think warmer weather and 3m rubber wheel my best bet
You're going to remove the spoiler and reinstall it?

What adhesive tape did you use?
      01-11-2022, 05:28 PM   #18
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3M tape should be easy. someone thinks I may have betalink on my trunk, and in that case I think I'm screwed
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #19
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Did they leave it clamped down at all? You are right about warmer weather being that it's 19 degrees at your location. 3M tape works best at 70+. If only using 3M tape the spoiler should be clamped down for a day or two. Even more important in cold weather. Hit it with a heat gun every few hours to warm it up. Also heating up the surfaces and tape on the spoiler helps a lot before install. Adhesive promoter works great but you have to be really quick before it dries up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

3M tape should be easy. someone thinks I may have betalink on my trunk, and in that case I think I'm screwed
Be optimistic

I only use VHB by 3M
Attached Images

01-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #21
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Be optimistic

I only use VHB by 3M
yea no I am definitely for now on. the previous owner kinda screwed me. it seems to be doable with carefulness and lots of elbow grease. hoping a local detailing in tampa can help me
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:14 PM   #22
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
Did they leave it clamped down at all? You are right about warmer weather being that it's 19 degrees at your location. 3M tape works best at 70+. If only using 3M tape the spoiler should be clamped down for a day or two. Even more important in cold weather. Hit it with a heat gun every few hours to warm it up. Also heating up the surfaces and tape on the spoiler helps a lot before install. Adhesive promoter works great but you have to be really quick before it dries up.
nope, they put it on and I left. seems to be holding on fine even with the cold. it definitely won't be coming off before I leave for tampa. my car is getting shipped out tomorrow afternoon. even though it could be a weather issue with the fitment, the plan is to get the trunk fixed up and reinstall the spoiler in Florida. I think I should be fine, I just need to find a detailer that can strip the betalink off and I'll probably need a paint correction. after that, a little 3M tape should fix the fitment.
Appreciate 0