BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > From G80 M3 to F87 M2C?

02-06-2024, 02:39 PM   #1
FCS247
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' M3

From G80 M3 to F87 M2C?

Hi All!

I have had my G80 for a little over a year now. I do love the car, but recently have been battling some thoughts and would love to hear the opinion of others.

So all in, my G80 cost me about ~$90k (with taxes, etc...). I did a 3 year finance at 3.5% to just have it paid off quickly.

Recently, I have this weird feeling about dailying car that cost so much. Not that I could not afford it, but it is the most I have ever spent on a car (I'm 33) and I'm always worried about something happening. Just a few months ago, had a nasty rock hit my windshield and cracked it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

And this week, my rear right tire has a puncture so need both rear tires replaced (would be now be the 2nd time this right tire has done this in 6 months).

So all these little things add up and it has started to make me wonder if:

1) Lease or Purchase a car to daily and leave the G80 as a fun/weekend car. So Civic, Corolla, etc..

or

2) Swap into an F87 M2C (I've driven and loved it) and feel a little bit better as I'd be sending about $55k-$58k rather than almost $100k.

Option 1 would make sense, but idk about having 2 cars.

PS - Yes I know I'm all over the place Just trying to figure out best path forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:20 PM   #2
bhong
Rep
Drives: NA

I'd say go for the M2C especially since you've already driven and love it. You'll even have a spare 35k to spend on a 2nd vehicle if you please. Makes too much sense.
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 06:28 PM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMO if you like the g80, keep enjoying it. Its just car, drive it. You going to move to the M2, sure its not a 90k car but still a 55k car, its certainly not a beater.

So yeah option C, drive what you have and enjoy it. If you are scared of stuff that might happen, PPF it, windshields get replaced all the time no big deal
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:47 PM   #4
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Hmm my first thought was "you'll get used to it" (dailying an expensive car). But if it's already been a year, I actually take it back. If you're not already used to it you probably won't get used to it.

I think I second what bhong said. If you already drove and loved the M2 then might as well 'downgrade' (??) to it and pocket the difference (or like he said still get a 2nd car with it).

Arguably the M2 may make for a more fun weekend car than the G80 anyways? I don't want to start a debate on that, but just food for thought.

Of course go in knowing that the M2 will have less tech and less power than the G80. But still plenty.

Plus we're a great community here
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 09:08 PM   #5
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Why not the G87? The used lroces are depreciating fast
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:17 PM   #6
FCS247
Private
Rep

Thank you all who have given your input, it helps a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2
IMO if you like the g80, keep enjoying it. Its just car, drive it. You going to move to the M2, sure its not a 90k car but still a 55k car, its certainly not a beater.

So yeah option C, drive what you have and enjoy it. If you are scared of stuff that might happen, PPF it, windshields get replaced all the time no big deal
True. I actually bought the car TO daily drive it, but it wasn't until daily driving it that started to make me nervous about commuting with it everyday. So I agree with what you're saying, its just a car, stop over thinking it. It's when I look at the value of it and it irks me. Not saying that I wouldn't be bothered by rock chips, etc with a $55k car, but stomaching those types of things might be a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Hmm my first thought was "you'll get used to it" (dailying an expensive car). But if it's already been a year, I actually take it back. If you're not already used to it you probably won't get used to it.

I think I second what bhong said. If you already drove and loved the M2 then might as well 'downgrade' (??) to it and pocket the difference (or like he said still get a 2nd car with it).

Arguably the M2 may make for a more fun weekend car than the G80 anyways? I don't want to start a debate on that, but just food for thought.

Of course go in knowing that the M2 will have less tech and less power than the G80. But still plenty.

Plus we're a great community here
I agree. To be honest, I don't even consider the F87 a downgrade. I'm not looking to have the fastest car on the road. The luxury aspects of the M3 are nice (better interior, etc...) but I'm not sure if its worth that extra $30k-$40k.

Again, love the G80, its one of the best cars I have ever owned. It's fast, comfortable, looks good (I know, looks are subjective). 90% of my driving is highway, so that worry about damage bugs me. On the contrary, I don't want to be met with regret if I get rid of it, haha. I could always get back into it in 2027 or something. The way I am talking makes it seem like I have already made a decision to switch over to the F87, but I genuinely don't know what to do. I don't want to come back in 4-5 months and say "damn I wish I just kept the G80."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaig
Why not the G87? The used lroces are depreciating fast
I could... but I think those are upwards of $70k, are they not? At least around here...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:51 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My best guess reading that is you're simply bored with the $90k car and are looking for reasons to justify dumping it for something else. I went through this a LOT when I was younger.

Having a second car is actually a great option. Allows you to keep the mileage down on the expensive car while still enjoying it when you want to. This was how I cured my boredom problem years ago, and it's worked ever since - always have a second car in the garage that also keeps me entertained. Seems like this strategy might be a good fit for you too.
philth209.00
MCouper24.00
      02-06-2024, 10:59 PM   #8
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCS247 View Post
90% of my driving is highway
The F87 takes to the highway just fine, but it’s not where the car shines. Don’t get me wrong, I love the F87, but mostly highway driving is not where the car is most in its element — especially the 6MT variant. There are plenty of other also-very-nice cars out there that are probably better suited to mostly highway driving.

That said, by going with the F87, you’ll have $30K–$40K to invest, which is no small thing. You’ll literally be bucks ahead!
Appreciate 1
MCouper24.00
      02-07-2024, 02:51 PM   #9
FCS247
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My best guess reading that is you're simply bored with the $90k car and are looking for reasons to justify dumping it for something else. I went through this a LOT when I was younger.

Having a second car is actually a great option. Allows you to keep the mileage down on the expensive car while still enjoying it when you want to. This was how I cured my boredom problem years ago, and it's worked ever since - always have a second car in the garage that also keeps me entertained. Seems like this strategy might be a good fit for you too.
Hmm, never thought of that. I don't feel bored of it though. I've said many times that its the best vehicle I've owned and I can't see anything that's as good in the price range.

Quite honestly, its mainly just been not enjoying it to its fullest because of the panic that comes with owning a very expensive (to me) vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000
The F87 takes to the highway just fine, but it’s not where the car shines. Don’t get me wrong, I love the F87, but mostly highway driving is not where the car is most in its element — especially the 6MT variant. There are plenty of other also-very-nice cars out there that are probably better suited to mostly highway driving.

That said, by going with the F87, you’ll have $30K–$40K to invest, which is no small thing. You’ll literally be bucks ahead!
Yeah, I would honestly say I'm leaning towards a second car that I wouldn't worry so much about.

The additional cash would be nice, but this isn't solely a finances thing, more so just my OCD with keeping my car pristine haha.. again I'm new to owning an expensive vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 03:27 PM   #10
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think that any car you really like will cause you to stress about hurting it if you are so inclined.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:07 PM   #11
santua
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 xDrive & M2C

So, having experienced both cars, I would tell you that the difference in money from a G80 to an F87 is completely worth it. The G80 is in a different class of its own when it comes to luxury, technology, comfort, and performance. It is just a better car in every aspect. The only thing I don't like about the G80 M3 is how light the steering feels compared to the M2, but other than that, the G80 is superior.

Now, if you were to just have the M2C as a weekend car, then yeah, I can see that as something that would make sense, but you better pay cash, because you ain't getting 3.5% finance anywhere.

If I were you, I would get a used Civic and daily that to work and back and leave the M3 as a weekend/every now and then type of car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:35 PM   #12
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I’d just keep the M3 and daily drive it. It’s a sedan that’s meant to be an all in one vehicle. You spent the money, don’t be afraid to enjoy the fruits of your labor
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #13
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCS247 View Post
Thank you all who have given your input, it helps a lot!

I could... but I think those are upwards of $70k, are they not? At least around here...
I am not sure where you are but in the US, use d G87 prices are coming down fast. Recently a well optioned G87 was sold for list price of 60K and I am sure the buyer further negotiated. See my photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-08-2024, 08:15 AM   #14
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Sell the G80, grab the F87 comp, use the leftover money on mods Then you won't just have one of the best cars you have ever owned but now the best car you have ever owned... Afterwards this question will not come up again as you will be way too happy with the car to consider something else.

But of course I am a bit biased too
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 09:45 AM   #15
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
If rock chips and flat tires are bothering you on a G, they'll bother you on any car because they will happen. Why not just enjoy the car you have, assuming you haven't stretched yourself financially? But if you have, sure then downsize
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 02:56 PM   #16
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

I find that alot of the wear and tear comes from my weekend canyon drives, so I think in the end you just need to accept that cars take some damage the more you enjoy them.

I want to tell you to get a second daily, but I feel that was what the G80 was meant to do. Maybe a used F87 that you can accept that it already has wear and tear and not care so much might work, or a G87 will probably be a good middleground between the F87 and G80.
      02-20-2024, 10:16 PM   #17
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I did the same. I had a $120k 911 GTS, I was driving behind an M2 one day thinking "I could spend $70k less for 95% of the fun". So I sold the 911, invested the $70k in VOO, and now its worth $210k and I had 95% of the enjoyment with the M2. I say go for it.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 5
chris7197335.50
MSH_127.50
jefe2000745.00
      02-21-2024, 05:52 PM   #18
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Damage inc out here crushing life. Hat tip sir
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:02 PM   #19
Cuba_ARod
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Like others have said, f87 will by no means feel like a downgrade…but do consider the convenience of 4 doors vs 2.

Can’t go wrong which way you…
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 05:37 PM   #20
M2CSDaily
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

You’re not going to get anywhere near $90k on trade in on m3. I would either keep it and stop worrying or get into a cheaper car like M2c and just enjoy the car. G80 is not special enough to be a 2nd car so I definitely would not buy a 2nd daily driver. Extra cost of insurance and random maintenance will negate any cost savings
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 07:17 AM   #21
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

I hope I am not going off topic too much but how much time did it take you guys to get used to daylying (or just thrashing) your M2s?

For me buying it was a bit of a stretch financially as I was 22 and only beginning my career at the time I bought it. Nevertheless, I have always wanted one and I am living in Europe and with all the EU bullshit I was afraid it might be the last chance to buy a car that is a pure driver's car. So I went ahead and I have to tell you, the first three months, I have been stressing about every little scratch. Every time the engine would not feel 100 % smooth I was afraid I would go bankrupt.

Nevertheless after a few months of the car not exploding I started to feel better even though my financial situation did not improve substantially.

Do you find the two interconnected? Did you feel better thrashing the cars as you got more financially stable or is it something you go through with every nicer car over and over again?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 07:51 AM   #22
M2CSDaily
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spavlas77 View Post
I hope I am not going off topic too much but how much time did it take you guys to get used to daylying (or just thrashing) your M2s?

For me buying it was a bit of a stretch financially as I was 22 and only beginning my career at the time I bought it. Nevertheless, I have always wanted one and I am living in Europe and with all the EU bullshit I was afraid it might be the last chance to buy a car that is a pure driver's car. So I went ahead and I have to tell you, the first three months, I have been stressing about every little scratch. Every time the engine would not feel 100 % smooth I was afraid I would go bankrupt.

Nevertheless after a few months of the car not exploding I started to feel better even though my financial situation did not improve substantially.

Do you find the two interconnected? Did you feel better thrashing the cars as you got more financially stable or is it something you go through with every nicer car over and over again?
I think most people feel this way with the first few nice cars. I got over it when I started daily driving a 911, have to realize it’s just a car and you have insurance. I’ve driven well over 100,000 miles in central NJ over the past decade in many different vehicles, parking at grocery stores, airport, etc and have never gotten and scratches or dings that I can recall. Even if I did, it doesn’t matter because the cars are meant to be driven. Never once during trade in did anybody care if there was a tiny amount of stone chips on the bumper. Enjoy the car
Appreciate 2