BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

01-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #45
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

I kept trying to calculate e50, but I was finding the inconsistencies in gasoline was making this a complete crap shoot, when blending E85 and 93.

Frustrated, I decided to instal the fuel it! Bluetooth analyser.....it works great and has taken the guess work out of it.

Now I'm really intrigued about the possible MHD flex fuel option coming.
Appreciate 1
ZM22785.00
      01-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #46
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

For the interim, we're planning to do the very same thing (bluetooth 'e' analyzer) . Our hope is that when the MHD FF module is released, it will properly integrate (e.g. direct or supplemental harness) with the existing in-line ethanol analyzer.

Since we have the electronic steering wheel (outside my/our knowledge level here), we're not sure if it will interfere with the MHD FF module due to CAN bus. We've seen this with other products (incompatibility) so fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo1234 View Post
I kept trying to calculate e50, but I was finding the inconsistencies in gasoline was making this a complete crap shoot, when blending E85 and 93.

Frustrated, I decided to instal the fuel it! Bluetooth analyser.....it works great and has taken the guess work out of it.

Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
For the interim, we're planning to do the very same thing (bluetooth 'e' analyzer) . Our hope is that when the MHD FF module is released, it will properly integrate (e.g. direct or supplemental harness) with the existing in-line ethanol analyzer.

Since we have the electronic steering wheel (outside my/our knowledge level here), we're not sure if it will interfere with the MHD FF module due to CAN bus. We've seen this with other products (incompatibility) so fingers crossed.
As long as you have a genuine continental ethanol sensor it should be compatible with mhd flex fuel.
      01-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #48
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Remember ethanol sensors are actually hydroscopic sensors, so technically it doesn't measure the content of ethanol it measures the absence of fuel. So if you have alot of water in the fuel it can cause it to read a higher ethanol content than what is actually on the tank, so take this into account.
      01-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #49
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

Remember ethanol sensors are actually hydroscopic sensors, so technically it doesn't measure the content of ethanol it measures the absence of fuel. So if you have alot of water in the fuel it can cause it to read a higher ethanol content than what is actually on the tank, so take this into account.
I filled up on 93 only to test it, as I know this is supposed to be e10. It showed e10 exactly. It appears to work really well.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #50
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

I have the electronic steering wheel and it isn't interfering with the analyser so far. I also run a p3 gauge from the obd which is unaffected. Don't know if the MHD will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #51
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's what we're hoping as well (Continental). Many thanks for the answer regarding the LPFP, we have questions out to Spool reqarding their stage 2.

Quote:
As long as you have a genuine continental ethanol sensor it should be compatible with mhd flex fuel.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #52
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've done some limited searching (N54) and I don't see any mention of CAN bus issues when pairing the electronic wheel with the MHD FF module. I'll keep looking though.

If there is a conflict, well .. The wheel goes. We need a solid fuel system for the turbo upgrade and since we have an abundance of e85 in the area, it's a no brainer. Question is, will MHD provide us with a means to identify the ethanol content (regardless of adaptability) via their app (or iDrive) since we'd be forgoing the BT analyzer OR is this merely a moot point.

Quote:
I have the electronic steering wheel and it isn't interfering with the analyser so far. I also run a p3 gauge from the obd which is unaffected. Don't know if the MHD will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #53
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've done some limited searching (N54) and I don't see any mention of CAN bus issues when pairing the electronic wheel with the MHD FF module. I'll keep looking though.

If there is a conflict, well .. The wheel goes. We need a solid fuel system for the turbo upgrade and since we have an abundance of e85 in the area, it's a no brainer. Question is, will MHD provide us with a means to identify the ethanol content (regardless of adaptability) via their app (or iDrive) since we'd be forgoing the BT analyzer OR is this merely a moot point.
With the canbus FF adapter installed it should show in the app as well.
      01-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #54
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
When will they be available?
Update:
Dorch engineering's HPFP for the n55 will be released on Feb.4 as per their website, pricing is also available and it is significantly cheaper than the rest of the competition. Their stage 2 HPFP is cheaper than XDI's stage 1....
detroitm22426.50
      01-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #55
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
When will they be available?
Update:
Dorch engineering's HPFP for the n55 will be released on Feb.4 as per their website, pricing is also available and it is significantly cheaper than the rest of the competition. Their stage 2 HPFP is cheaper than XDI's stage 1....
Interesting. I'm thinking of going with a pure stage 2 next winter, and was pretty set on the XDI35. This may change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #56
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Update:
Hmm...do you think Dorch Stage 1 is enough for a PS2 and E50 in the winter time?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #57
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hmm...do you think Dorch Stage 1 is enough for a PS2 and E50 in the winter time?
That's a pretty hard question to predict, but it really depends on how much power you plan to have and afr you plan to target, altitude, mods, conditions etc. If you want to Max out ps2 then you might be pushing the hpfp to it's edge and it may not be sufficient. If you plan for maybe 450 whp (again hard prediction) you probably will be able to meet that goal on E50. Again this is mostly trial and error. You can probably compare this hpfp to the xdi-35 and look at what those guys are able to achieve on E50.
ZM22785.00
      01-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #58
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm noticing that these vendors are bundling either nylon reinforced/braided or SS/PTFE braided lines. Might be worth discussing pros/cons. We have a question out to Spool whether or not their lines (SS/PTFE) are conductive or non-conductive. We also asked them to confirm that the ethanol sensor is Continental. Will update once we receive an answer (they generally respond within 24 hours).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #59
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm noticing that these vendors are bundling either nylon reinforced/braided or SS/PTFE braided lines. Might be worth discussing pros/cons. We have a question out to Spool whether or not their lines (SS/PTFE) are conductive or non-conductive. We also asked them to confirm that the ethanol sensor is Continental. Will update once we receive an answer (they generally respond within 24 hours).
Yeah they're all doing that because their HPFP's have different fittings for input, judging by dorch they use a standard fuel line pushlock fitting for the feed, and the outlet to the fuel rail is a standard bmw fitting so it's fully compatible with the oem hard line. Also the stock feed line is apparently a little bit restrictive as well, which is why they include a different one.

I personally like the SS lines with the PTFE interior, but prefer the viton stuff that improved racing sells (cloth exterior). The pros of the stainless lines are virtually zero degradation over time, the con is they're quite rigid. The pros of nylon is that it is more flexible, but the cons is that it is slightly less durable.

Conductivity of the lines shouldn't matter since they're ptfe cored.

I can confirm since I asked them this along time ago, they use the smaller version of the genuine continental/GM sensor.

Like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...7429/overview/

random question: why do you refer to yourself as "we", are you speaking as part of a shop or race team? Just curious.
///Monika186.50
      01-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #60
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My husband and I. He does all the difficult work on our cars, I do all the research. It just works (house and vehicle projects).

Quote:
Yeah they're all doing that because their HPFP's have different fittings for input, judging by dorch they use a standard fuel line pushlock fitting for the feed, and the outlet to the fuel rail is a standard bmw fitting so it's fully compatible with the oem hard line. Also the stock feed line is apparently a little bit restrictive as well, which is why they include a different one.

I personally like the SS lines with the PTFE interior, but prefer the viton stuff that improved racing sells (cloth exterior). The pros of the stainless lines are virtually zero degradation over time, the con is they're quite rigid. The pros of nylon is that it is more flexible, but the cons is that it is slightly less durable.

Conductivity of the lines shouldn't matter since they're ptfe cored.

I can confirm since I asked them this along time ago, they use the smaller version of the genuine continental/GM sensor.

Like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...7429/overview/

random question: why do you refer to yourself as "we", are you speaking as part of a shop or race team? Just curious.
Appreciate 1
koastal375.50
      01-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #61
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
My husband and I. He does all the difficult work on our cars, I do all the research. It just works (house and vehicle projects).
I see, that makes sense now.
      01-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #62
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
I see, that makes sense now.
My HPFP seems to be shitting the bed as well:

Log on 1-9 - http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e17279dc090c6601b7d1f19

Log on 1-16 after some tune adjustments - http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e17279dc090c6601b7d1f19

Was told to check my EKP module as well for faults. At some point I have to pick up a new HPFP but am unsure which route to go at this point.
      01-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #63
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post

Log on 1-16 after some tune adjustments - http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e17279dc090c6601b7d1f19

Was told to check my EKP module as well for faults. At some point I have to pick up a new HPFP but am unsure which route to go at this point.
What are your goals in terms of power? Probably best to speak to your tuner and get his opinion.
      01-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #64
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post

What are your goals in terms of power? Probably best to speak to your tuner and get his opinion.
At this point I'm pretty sure I don't want to keep throwing money into my 335. At some point I want to sell it and pick up an M2. I just want to get to a point where the car is stable. If it means dialing back the tune then that's what we'll have to do.
      01-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #65
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Agreed on the low cost and no remapping + horse power supported.

I disagree on PnP since you need to notch the base plate, bend an extremely stiff fuel line hose. The overall result is a ghetto mounted hpfp that is secured by a very small amount of metal on the outer edge of the base plate and this whole assembly is subjected to a cam driven system with high vibration especially at high RPM's. It's just so sketchy I don't like that idea.

This is absolutely false if utilizing E85 or a fuel with sufficent octane.

to clarify certain thougths , ive ranboth hdp5evo and hdp6 ( installed ) . so i have a little xp with them .

a few pros and cons

HDP5evo pros : same height for in and output compared to oem . better orientation of the connector .
cons : is only marginally better compared to oem , doenst support ps2 and Emix . base plate is thinner , but thats not a con actually .

Hdp6 : Pros much more flow available , ps2 and emix ,no problem . thicker baseplate twice of the hdp5evo
cons ; orientation of the connector , needs some work to have clearance with intake manifold . The in and output sit a feww mm higher compared to oem . you will need to adjust the HP line to have it fitted without stress .

Both pumps dont require extra programming because bosch hardware .
both fired right up after install

all in all go for the hdp6 right away , a little more work but much more worth it
      01-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #66
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_H_O_M_A_S View Post
to clarify certain thougths , ive ranboth hdp5evo and hdp6 ( installed ) . so i have a little xp with them .

a few pros and cons

HDP5evo pros : same height for in and output compared to oem . better orientation of the connector .
cons : is only marginally better compared to oem , doenst support ps2 and Emix . base plate is thinner , but thats not a con actually .

Hdp6 : Pros much more flow available , ps2 and emix ,no problem . thicker baseplate twice of the hdp5evo
cons ; orientation of the connector , needs some work to have clearance with intake manifold . The in and output sit a feww mm higher compared to oem . you will need to adjust the HP line to have it fitted without stress .

Both pumps dont require extra programming because bosch hardware .
both fired right up after install

all in all go for the hdp6 right away , a little more work but much more worth it
Hmm... with the kind of coin I’ve seen the more recent used HDP6’s going for, paying a little more to get a new pump that flows more and has better mounting seems worthwhile.

The other pumps have drop in fits without modification and the baseplate mod for the HDP6 is my biggest concern. I need everything to be very robust for the track, and I would be constantly concerned/checking the HDP6 fitment.

Right now I’m leaning towards Dorch Stage 2 to bc they’re supported in BM3 (B58 so far, N55 coming they say), and it’ll give me plenty of headroom to run E50 with a PS2 in winter and occasionally full E85 at the track.
Appreciate 0