BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2C vs GT350 review

12-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #23
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Shocking to me that someone would buy a car knowing that there is a high chance of oil consumption and engine failure because "well Ford will pay for it" if that happens. Any semblance of objectivity is out the door with that statement.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 02:01 AM   #24
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post
I own both but couldn’t bring myself to trade in my GT350 for my M2C. They are two very different cars and each has their strengths and weaknesses.

The biggest issue with the GT350 is related to oil consumption IMO. My engine went with 8,400 miles and was replaced with the revised 2019 Voodoo. Mine spun a rod bearing on the street and was never over revved. I wouldn’t touch a pre-2019 GT350 and even then, I would not buy a new one since the 2019 version hasn’t been totally proven. Warranty or not, it’s a big problem.
Good point about the 2019 re-design. I have some friends who work at Ford, and I also hear some of the Predator motor parts may find their way into the Voodoo. I'm planning on buying a '21 or '22 model year. Good idea to give it some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Shocking to me that someone would buy a car knowing that there is a high chance of oil consumption and engine failure because "well Ford will pay for it" if that happens. Any semblance of objectivity is out the door with that statement.
What do you mean high? The % of motor failures on GT350s is still in single digits. It's still higher than it should be, no doubt but you can't call that high.

Is that more than S55 or N55 failures? Yes, likely. But you see motor failures on this forum more often than not as well. At least 3 in recent months.

So are you saying anyone craving the thrill of a Shelby is automatically an idiot? The ~4000 or so people per year who buy these cars are all nuts? Shit happens and as long as the manufacturer steps up to fix it than why not be willing to give it a try.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 12-04-2019 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:13 AM   #25
yoboi
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Whew, my thread devolved into an argument. Anyways, friend finally dialed his car in. Took it for a spirited drive on the local mountains. Frankly the steering feels like a light hydraulic quick rack. His car is all poly/delrin, no rubber bushings. MGW shifter is even better than stock, like a low smooth CAE. Requires slightly too much effort imo haha, but that's nitpicking. And I had a lot of complaints of it feeling fat in the rear, that's nearly gone. While it isn't quite as placeable as a modified M2C, it's nearly there.

I also drove my old E36 M3 with quite a bit in mods in the LA canyons recently. That car feels very jank(220k miles), definitely appreciate the M2C's newness. But the upgraded hydraulic rack is something I really wish the M2C had. Another car I recently drove was a GT3 on track, and you can feel the weight difference vs 350/M2C. It screams LOUD, and just rotates in an amazingly controlled way. Probably my favorite street car I've driven besides maybe an exige S260.

I'm picking up my car tomorrow with complete fall-line bushings, and frankly if it isn't on the 350's level of steering feel, might be time to part out and sell. If you track/drive backroads hard mainly with the M2C, the sound and feel frankly isn't there compared to the competition. If it's your daily it's perfect stock. Just my take.

(Attached pics from the LA auto show as well lol)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      12-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #26
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carphreak View Post

I'm picking up my car tomorrow with complete fall-line bushings, and frankly if it isn't on the 350's level of steering feel, might be time to part out and sell. If you track/drive backroads hard mainly with the M2C, the sound and feel frankly isn't there compared to the competition. If it's your daily it's perfect stock. Just my take.
Good summary. My thoughts exactly.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #27
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Attached pics from the LA auto show as well lol
As per a prior post, I have a friend’s Shelby GT350 sitting in my garage . . . I have had the occasion to take the car out for short runs around town.

When I saw your pic of the shifter it reminds me of two things I do not like about the Shelby. (1) the stock shifter is too tall, (2) the clutch travel is too long. For enthusiasts, I suspect both ‘issues’ could be easily addressed in an hour, or two, in the comfort of one’s own garage.

Aside from THE obvious positive regarding Shelby acoustics, I must say the seats in the Shelby are also fantastic.

I realize we are all talking about sport cars and the ‘track’ is perceived as being the sport car proving ground. However, the reality is that the overwhelming majority of Shelby, M2, 718 . . . owners never sniff a track. So, the spirited daily drive represents the most realistic litmus test. Personally, I find the Shelby and my 718 CGTS to fall in opposite extremes of overall driving experience, and the M2C right in-between.

I favor the 718 CGTS end of the spectrum and find the M2C different enough that I am about to pull trigger and add one to my garage. I am not about to ‘dis’ the Shelby, but it simply does not suit my ownership interests. I more than respect different views and interests when it comes to car ownership.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:54 AM   #28
yoboi
Private
Rep

Picked up the M2C earlier today with all the fall line kit installed. Steering feel has dramatically improved. It honestly feels as good if not better than my friends GT350. Still doesn't sound as good, but the feel is definitely there now. Also AVM, totally agree, I love all the cars you mentioned haha, and 350 clutch is terrible stock yep.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #29
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Picked up the M2C earlier today with all the fall line kit installed. Steering feel has dramatically improved. It honestly feels as good if not better than my friends GT350. Still doesn't sound as good, but the feel is definitely there now. Also AVM, totally agree, I love all the cars you mentioned haha, and 350 clutch is terrible stock yep.
That's awesome, glad to see fall line can wake up the steering. Well done sir!

Appreciate 1
yoboi76.50
      12-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #30
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Would you be able to list all the fall line items you got installed? Also, which shop in Bay Area did the install?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #31
yoboi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Would you be able to list all the fall line items you got installed? Also, which shop in Bay Area did the install?
Performance Technic did the install, and I have a build thread on Bimmerpost haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #32
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Had a Mustang loaner/rental car recently. It was not a GT350 of course. Two things stood out to me:

1. Great steering feel.
2. This is a big car.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #33
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashton View Post
I own both but couldn’t bring myself to trade in my GT350 for my M2C. They are two very different cars and each has their strengths and weaknesses.

The biggest issue with the GT350 is related to oil consumption IMO. My engine went with 8,400 miles and was replaced with the revised 2019 Voodoo. Mine spun a rod bearing on the street and was never over revved. I wouldn’t touch a pre-2019 GT350 and even then, I would not buy a new one since the 2019 version hasn’t been totally proven. Warranty or not, it’s a big problem.
Why did you give up on your YouTube channel?
Appreciate 0