BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 N55 Pure Stage 2 Advice Needed

01-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 LCI

M2 N55 Pure Stage 2 Advice Needed

Hey all, N55 M2 looking for turbo upgrade advice:

Just ordered a Pure Stage 2 Turbo with the upgraded DV and inlet pipe, Spool Stage 3 LPFP, 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, ordered some extra NGK97506 plugs and some new Delphi 12138616153 coils.

I'm already FBO with a Dorch Stage 2 HPFP and a BM3 Flex Fuel kit. Is there anything I need? Am I missing something or do I just need to install and tune now? Is a crank hub solution necessary?

Goal is to be able to run ethanol blends and make north of 500whp.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureNoodle View Post

Just ordered a Pure Stage 2 Turbo with the upgraded DV and inlet pipe, Spool Stage 3 LPFP, 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, ordered some extra NGK97506 plugs and some new Delphi 12138616153 coils.

I'm already FBO with a Dorch Stage 2 HPFP and a BM3 Flex Fuel kit. Is there anything I need? Am I missing something or do I just need to install and tune now? Is a crank hub solution necessary?

Thanks in advance!
Ordered from X-PH so hopefully Mike sees this and can chime in hahah.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
Wheats1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I'm jealous. Let us all know how she feels/runs
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      01-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
That sounds about right in terms of parts required to hit your goals. I would not have wasted my money on new delphi coils though, I would have put that money towards the B58 coil conversion kit that way I can run the largest possible plug gap in order to promote more complete combustion. The NGK plugs are also not really needed, your power level isn't high enough to require a colder plug, it's not a huge problem just not needed.

Other than that you should be fine, I personally don't think a crank hub fix is required because people were running 550 whp+ on the N55 for years before the crank hub issue was a huge talking point and there hasn't been a huge issue as a result. The n55 has alot less inertial mass driven off of the crank hub so you should be ok at this power level.
      01-08-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheats1 View Post
I'm jealous. Let us all know how she feels/runs
For sure! I was free revving it against the limiter on E80 the other day and got super knock + injector shutdown on cylinder 2, so hopefully she goes more instead of blows lol. I figured if this thing is gonna die I want it to be in a blaze of boost, not some punk E80 maxed out stock turbo BS lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #6
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
That sounds about right in terms of parts required to hit your goals. I would not have wasted my money on new delphi coils though, I would have put that money towards the B58 coil conversion kit that way I can run the largest possible plug gap in order to promote more complete combustion. The NGK plugs are also not really needed, your power level isn't high enough to require a colder plug, it's not a huge problem just not needed.

Other than that you should be fine, I personally don't think a crank hub fix is required because people were running 550 whp+ on the N55 for years before the crank hub issue was a huge talking point and there hasn't been a huge issue as a result. The n55 has alot less inertial mass driven off of the crank hub so you should be ok at this power level.
That's good to know. My philosophy is overbuild the car for what I need it to do and have headroom in case something goes wrong lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:01 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's good to know. My philosophy is overbuild the car for what I need it to do and have headroom in case something goes wrong lol
That's a good philosophy. So if you wanted you could get the upgraded hubs, but it's not really needed.
      01-09-2022, 05:47 AM   #8
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a good philosophy. So if you wanted you could get the upgraded hubs, but it's not really needed.
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the crank seal guard as well just to be safe. Maybe a crank hub upgrade isn't necessary with a pure stage 2, but if I ever go to a higher horsepower build and need a Dorch Stage 2 lift kit and am going for like 750whp, then absolutely hahah.

Think I'll need a LPFP controller? I've heard that higher power LPFP's can fry the EKP. If so, any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Looks good to me, but I recommend talking to your tuner about your power goals, and they'll let you know if they can do it with your current mod or if you need anything else.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #10
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

Looks good to me, but I recommend talking to your tuner about your power goals, and they'll let you know if they can do it with your current mod or if you need anything else.
Yup! Just waiting on the tuner now!

I did send in an email to your sites support to modify my order to a stage 2 LPFP instead of the stage 3 LPFP. I just don't think I'll need the stage 3 tbh lol.

Hopefully they're able to change it since the order hasn't been shipped yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I did send in an email to your sites support to modify my order to a stage 2 LPFP instead of the stage 3 LPFP. I just don't think I'll need the stage 3 tbh lol.

dm me your order number and i will take care of it

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

dm me your order number and i will take care of it
DM sent! You're the best Mike!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I went ahead and ordered the crank seal guard as well just to be safe. Maybe a crank hub upgrade isn't necessary with a pure stage 2, but if I ever go to a higher horsepower build and need a Dorch Stage 2 lift kit and am going for like 750whp, then absolutely hahah.

Think I'll need a LPFP controller? I've heard that higher power LPFP's can fry the EKP. If so, any suggestions?
Isn't the stage 3 lpfp a Hobbs switch controlled hpfp? If so then no real "need" for an ekp upgrade, however it would be nice to have hence why I didn't mention it. If you want to get it then there's only one option the one made by torquebyte and sold by EOS.
      01-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #14
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't the stage 3 lpfp a Hobbs switch controlled hpfp? If so then no real "need" for an ekp upgrade, however it would be nice to have hence why I didn't mention it. If you want to get it then there's only one option the one made by torquebyte and sold by EOS.
Yeah I just don't think I need a Stage 3 do I? It says it's a drop in replacement for the stage2, but doesn't say the same for a stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I just don't think I need a Stage 3 do I? It says it's a drop in replacement for the stage2, but doesn't say the same for a stage 3
You're gonna need to talk to your hpfp manufacturer and tuner to check.
      01-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #16
AdventureNoodle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're gonna need to talk to your hpfp manufacturer and tuner to check.
HPFP is Dorch, LPFP will be spool. Gonna clarify with both!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DM sent! You're the best Mike!
Thank you