BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW will cut no-cost maintenance program to 3yr/36k for MY2017, and exclude items

View Poll Results: How likely are you to consider another brand after seeing the BMW MP changes?
Definitely will 271 37.28%
Most likely will 124 17.06%
Possibly will 185 25.45%
No chance 147 20.22%
Voters: 727. You may not vote on this poll

01-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #485
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
Definitely not gonna purchase a Bmw after the 2016 models. Not worth the extended maintenance. Hello Mercedes Benz AMG
Oh. When did Mercedes AMG start offering included maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
They raised prices and cut warranty. Their introduction of many turbo engines is probably why. I think BMW realized that the maintenance fees and chances of something going wrong after 3 years was higher on turbo cars compared to previously naturally aspirated engines.
They made no change to the warranty. Still 4/50, bumper to bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincheker View Post
My BMW 2014 will be my last BMW
Because there's one less year of included maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bob View Post
The new warranty will get folks to trade in their cars sooner and leasee's will tend to go to a shorter period and hold down miles. A win win for BMW a lose lose for customers
As above - no change to the warranty.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #486
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Install new wipers? What's the Ford cost structure for this? Do they charge you for labor in addition to the parts? Because my (admittedly) unscientific observations indicate that dealers round up when it comes to the time needed to perform a particular task--they may have charged you 15 or 20 minutes for that task, at labor rates of $120 at a minimum? I had an Acura dealer do that to me once on a tail light bulb--$3.00 part and $35 labor charge. I told them "No way". When you pay more for labor than the part, that's an easy way to get the bill up to $218.
You're the one that decided to "bold" the install thing, not me. The sarcastic point of my post was to point out everything that was done for a mere $218 - this includes parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #487
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
$218 is very expensive? That sounds about right to me, especially if you went to a Ford dealership.
Thank you Vinny, that was my point. For those that embrace an entitlement mentality, the one where you get a trophy just for showing up for the game, shortening the free maintenance is a real travesty. If that's not "fair" (said in a whining tone) they can go out and find a program that duplicates the 48 month deal.

As I have posted before, I think it makes BMW look cheap but it's their company and, frankly, they probably should have never embraced a 48 month program in the first place because human nature is to complain about things we lose...sigh.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #488
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

To be honest, I'm upset with this change. But then again who likes something they've become accustomed to being taken away from them?

Will this stop me from buying another BMW? Absolutely not - no other manufacturer has free maintenance to boot either.
But like the poll said, will it make me consider other brands more seriously for the first time, including Audi and second hand Porsche? Definitely. Now the playing field is even and there is no distinct perk to owning a bmw.

And no - I don't think $100-200 oil changes q1yr is a perk. That's small beans. But having the peace of mind in knowing even wear and tear items like clutches and brakes are covered (not that I've ever needed them) - that is big for me. I knew previously I didn't need to spend a dime outside of car payment, insurance and gas. Now, this is not so, particularly with the higher performance segment of BMW.

Now, if another manufacturers come up with better products, I will go with them. Case in point - used porsche 911 4S/turbo with warranty vs a new m3/m4.

Which would you have? Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #489
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Our friends in Woodcliff Lake are not so stupid. They know exactly what it's costing them for the extra year/mileage of free maintenance. And they know that while potential buyers may not be happy about this, in the end the vast majority will end up buying or leasing the car they really want anyway, irrespective of the length of the free maintenance plan. BMW will continue to to advertise that they offer free maintenance, and lots of buyers will never even pick up on the fact that the details have been changed. And at the end of the model year it might help move a few of the current model year vehicles. I'll even bet that many of the forum members here who are swearing they won't buy another BMW will begrudingly be back in a BMW showroom the next time they need a vehicle.
Appreciate 4
      01-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #490
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I'd rather get no maintenance and get cash discount on the price of the car.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #491
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Why do people keep commenting on the warranty? This has nothing to do with the warranty. The biggest thing is the brakes, which really only affects those with X5s or Msport+ 3's and higher. If you are rolling around in a regular 328 and you need brakes that soon, you are doing something wrong. I am sure the increase in amateur track days is part of this decision. But the vast majority of sales are the leases, so this will affect a small margin of customers. It is also another measure to stop reconditioning cars for other non-BMW dealers for free.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #492
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Everybody saying they will jump to Jaguar for their "free maintenance" may want to read the fine print. It looks like one free oil change a year or 16k miles. It also says that wear items are not included, specifically brake pads, wipers and other wear and tear items. So much for that. Yes, they do have an extra year and 10,000 miles of warranty coverage.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/serv...-warranty.html

I don't like the fact that BMW reduced its maintenance program either. Nobody likes it when things are taken away. But, the knee jerk reactions in this thread are crazy. BMW is still very competitive even with the new program when compared to its competition.

I'm of the opinion when one is looking for a new car they should look at all of the competition and not just who gives the most supposedly free stuff away. First and foremost, I would think one should like the car for what it is and then look at the add ons and complete package. If this sole change causes people to leave the brand, I think you should of probably left long ago anyway as you probably were not that enamored with the product to begin with.
Appreciate 5
      01-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #493
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

People are also mentioning jumping to Tesla because of this. This is free?

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/service-plans
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2016, 01:18 PM   #494
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Everybody saying they will jump to Jaguar for their "free maintenance" may want to read the fine print. It looks like one free oil change a year or 16k miles. It also says that wear items are not included, specifically brake pads, wipers and other wear and tear items. So much for that. Yes, they do have an extra year and 10,000 miles of warranty coverage.

http://www.jaguarusa.com/owners/serv...-warranty.html

I don't like the fact that BMW reduced its maintenance program either. Nobody likes it when things are taken away. But, the knee jerk reactions in this thread are crazy. BMW is still very competitive even with the new program when compared to its competition.

I'm of the opinion when one is looking for a new car they should look at all of the competition and not just who gives the most supposedly free stuff away. First and foremost, I would think one should like the car for what it is and then look at the add ons and complete package. If this sole change causes people to leave the brand, I think you should of probably left long ago anyway as you probably were not that enamored with the product to begin with.
+1
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #495
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
People are also mentioning jumping to Tesla because of this. This is free?

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/service-plans
Please--how many times has the Model X been delayed? It's not delayed because is works perfectly, and they just want to make it better. There is no way in hell I'd get a brand new Tesla model. I'm fine with anyone else ditching BMW for the Model 3, and being a guinea pig so Tesla can get all the kinks out--it's not going to be me.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #496
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2nvs2001 View Post
I don't think $100-200 oil changes q1yr is a perk. That's small beans. But having the peace of mind in knowing even wear and tear items like clutches and brakes are covered (not that I've ever need them) - that is big for me. I knew previously I didn't need to spend a dime outside of car payment, insurance and gas. Now, this is not so, particularly with the higher performance segment of BMW.
If they don't want to cover brake pads and rotors for 36k miles and slap that cost on the customer, that's of major concern to me. BMW is now free to use less robust parts because they don't have to pay for them anymore. And I am not accusing them of dishonesty, but there's some serious money to be made from replacing rotors, especially on an M car.

If your rotors warp at 9,000 miles, that will now be considered normal wear and tear....just like with Mercedes Benz. I've been through this with them on a '14 E550. Normal city driving and it's on its THIRD set of rotors....at 18,000 miles. I don't want to go through that again. During the ordeal I've been lauding BMW for its solid warranty. So this absolutely will be a game changer for me. I don't want to have to consider spending thousands for brakes over a three year lease.

No, it's never happened to me in the six BMWs I've owned, but that's no guarantee it won't happen with new and perhaps different parts once they're no longer covered. And I haven't even mentioned the cost of changing the belt.
      01-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #497
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #498
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Almost like BMW doesn't think they have a strong competition, and maybe they don't, but I strongly believe this is a poor decision to change coverage on their cars.

I have owned a few different sports car Japanese vehicles, no major issues. I can't say the same for BMW so far.
Two largest competitors, Audi and MB, offer almost nothing free and you can pay for a program if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S.A View Post
Definitely not gonna purchase a Bmw after the 2016 models. Not worth the extended maintenance. Hello Mercedes Benz AMG
Upset with the BMW 3 year/36k mile maintenance program so going to buy a car that comes with nothing?
      01-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #499
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Two largest competitors, Audi and MB, offer almost nothing free and you can pay for a program if you want it.

Upset with the BMW 3 year/36k mile maintenance program so going to buy a car that comes with nothing?
Makes perfect sense, right?
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #500
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
It seems like BMW is trying hard to alienate their customers. The bad will from this move seems greater than the internal cost of keeping the program as-is. In an era where the competition is making damn good and competitive cars, seems like an odd strategy.
      01-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #501
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Man, I am with you in regards with the criteria for choosing a vehicle, however the problem is that the perception of the brand in regards with the reliability factor is not where supposed to be. I mean, I think I read in here a lot of times what a good idea is to own a BMW on warranty and avoid outside of warranty. I believe that the whole unhappiness comes from here.
Now, frankly speaking they don't shine on reliability in a such tremendous way that nobody will give a damn... So there you have it.
I bought mine cash and is out of warranty for a few months now, knock on wood, hope I will not have issues, but if outside of warranty will prove to be that painful, I will take my money elsewhere too since I personally tend to keep the vehicles for more than 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #502
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Man, I am with you in regards with the criteria for choosing a vehicle, however the problem is that the perception of the brand in regards with the reliability factor is not where supposed to be. I mean, I think I read in here a lot of times what a good idea is to own a BMW on warranty and avoid outside of warranty. I believe that the whole unhappiness comes from here.
Now, frankly speaking they don't shine on reliability in a such tremendous way that nobody will give a damn... So there you have it.
I bought mine cash and is out of warranty for a few months now, knock on wood, hope I will not have issues, but if outside of warranty will prove to be that painful, I will take my money elsewhere too since I personally tend to keep the vehicles for more than 3 years.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but this has nothing to do with BMW shortening and cutting some things out of the "free" maintenance program. If you are out of the warranty coverage then you would also be out of the maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #503
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but this has nothing to do with BMW shortening and cutting some things out of the "free" maintenance program. If you are out of the warranty coverage then you would also be out of the maintenance program.
My personal example was to confirm that I am not affected but I have the fear anyway...
However, I believe that a strong manufacturer stays behind its product in a better way.
Heck, if I know that the cars are that good why not keep the same 4 years or even go further a little bit? That proves a strong product and confidence.
But clutch and belt not covered? like, really?
I owned many vehicles in my life, starting with cheap cars; all covered the belts and clutch. Brakes I get that they get worn out and might have a point with the mileage, but when you have a toy that stays in the garage 6 months and is driven only in the summer how you can not cover a brake issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #504
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My personal example was to confirm that I am not affected but I have the fear anyway...
However, I believe that a strong manufacturer stays behind its product in a better way.
Heck, if I know that the cars are that good why not keep the same 4 years or even go further a little bit? That proves a strong product and confidence.
But clutch and belt not covered? like, really?
I owned many vehicles in my life, starting with cheap cars; all covered the belts and clutch. Brakes I get that they get worn out and might have a point with the mileage, but when you have a toy that stays in the garage 6 months and is driven only in the summer how you can not cover a brake issue?
They are covered under the 4/50 warranty. They just will not be covered if it is abused on a track or if you don't know how to drive a manual and fry the clutch. I can't remember ever hearing about a drive belt wearing out and needing to be replaced either under warranty or the maintenance program.

I can see it being harder to prove that the clutch or brakes should be replaced under the warranty because of a manufacturing defect. I guess we will just have to see how BMW handles these situations in the future. If you don't like it, by all means move on, but I don't know who you are going to go to because nobody else covers these parts under a maintenance program either. That I know of anyway.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #505
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
They are covered under the 4/50 warranty. They just will not be covered if it is abused on a track or if you don't know how to drive a manual and fry the clutch. I can't remember ever hearing about a drive belt wearing out and needing to be replaced either under warranty or the maintenance program.

I can see it being harder to prove that the clutch or brakes should be replaced under the warranty because of a manufacturing defect. I guess we will just have to see how BMW handles these situations in the future. If you don't like it, by all means move on, but I don't know who you are going to go to because nobody else covers these parts under a maintenance program either. That I know of anyway.
In a way, I am saying the same thing: never had a worned belt or a timming belt going wrong. Actually never replaced a clutch too soon, the cheapest vehicle I had I replaced it at 60,000km. So why not offer it?
By moving I am not saying that the maintenance program is the main cause but the fact that the maintenance program can give you some peace of mind by covering essential things, especially when you vehicle is not the most reliable. Think about water pump issues for example. You can trade the maintenance program for a more reliable vehicle with less or no maintenance but proven reliable (all have a minimum 3 years anyway).
I know a guy with a Mitsubishi. Many problems on the EVO but he has 10 years warranty. Everything was replaced with no fuss.
The ideea is how much peace of mind you can get?
My cars are very well kept and even during the warranty, I have paid for the oil change between the free ones for example, and never had big problems regardless of the car; if BMW will shine as the number one manufacturer in reliability I wouldn't care about the maintenance program but this was one element that was counter balancing the reliability perception.
Anyway, I find the decision to be cheap, not to mention there is a thread where they are increasing the price with 3-400, and read all the time the record sales. Why not give back some, especialy when nobody will claim and receive a clutch or a belt without a reason and without an inspection...
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #506
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In a way, I am saying the same thing: never had a worned belt or a timming belt going wrong. Actually never replaced a clutch too soon, the cheapest vehicle I had I replaced it at 60,000km. So why not offer it?
By moving I am not saying that the maintenance program is the main cause but the fact that the maintenance program can give you some peace of mind by covering essential things, especially when you vehicle is not the most reliable. Think about water pump issues for example. You can trade the maintenance program for a more reliable vehicle with less or no maintenance but proven reliable (all have a minimum 3 years anyway).
I know a guy with a Mitsubishi. Many problems on the EVO but he has 10 years warranty. Everything was replaced with no fuss.
The ideea is how much peace of mind you can get?
My cars are very well kept and even during the warranty, I have paid for the oil change between the free ones for example, and never had big problems regardless of the car; if BMW will shine as the number one manufacturer in reliability I wouldn't care about the maintenance program but this was one element that was counter balancing the reliability perception.
Anyway, I find the decision to be cheap, not to mention there is a thread where they are increasing the price with 3-400, and read all the time the record sales. Why not give back some, especialy when nobody will claim and receive a clutch or a belt without a reason and without an inspection...
I don't know. I'm not saying it is the greatest decision ever, but I guess I understand it. Nobody offered what BMW did, MB and Audi make you pay for their maintenance programs and they are no legends of reliability. Even the revised program is still better than theirs. I don't think Lexus or Acura offers any free service, don't quote me on that as I'm not 100 percent sure. Volvo probably has the best, but they are fighting for market share and trying to grow, so I see why they are doing it.

Anyway, my guess is BMW looked around and said why are we doing this? Nobody else is close and they know they are going to piss people off, but they also know they are still competitive. I also don't see why they should pay for people's track hobby. I don't think the program was designed for that and people that abused it helped bring an end to it IMO.

Edit: Looks like Lexus gives you the first two services free, so you get two free oil changes. I don't see anything for Acura.
Appreciate 1