BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition: production, order dates, engine specs & more (pre-launch info)

Closed Thread

09-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #749
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Paddles next to the steering wheel = M-DCT for this test mule.

Seats got covers = this test mule likely features different seats than those of the base M2.

Attachment 1685812
You beat me to both of these.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #750
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
As if a base M2 was kicked 'a fat lip' (pun intended).

To my eyes, this whole chunky plastic camouflage construction is just a mask bolted on the front end to hide a splitter / front lip (and maybe also front PDC).

Otherwise said: by bolting-on that mask, the splitter is less obvious.

Attachment 1685809
Good eye! Look how recessed the grill is on the test mule when compared to various production models. The add-on guess all the way to the hood, hence the appearance of overly excessive camo.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #751
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3gasmd View Post
Can anybody confirm that they are only making 1000 units of the m2 cs!???
The M2 CS is not limited by number, but limited by production slots. They will make a lot more than 1000 M2 CS models. There is no CSL model, and the GTS has not been confirmed yet. Rumours suggest only a small number, similarly to the M4 GTS.
MR
M4 GTS production = 803 units (see here). The M2 GTS rumor spoke of possibly 999 units. Agreed that, unlike the M2 CS, the M2 GTS is still a hypothetical.

M4 CS = "not a limited series, just limited by production capacity", confirmed BMW M CEO Frank Van Meel (source: here - in the same interview he also confirmed that the production volume of the base M2 will be increased).

As the "M2 CS = 1000 units limited edition" claim made in a recent Spanish article is spreading like wildfire on the interwebs, I repost my earlier comment, and assume that that claim will be debunked in the future:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
This is certainly a production departure rumor
http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/03/bm...ed-1000-units/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
I thought bmwblog got their news from here. I wonder where they got that information from ???
At the end of their article they quoted a Spanish article as source: https://www.motor.es/noticias/nuevos...bmw-m2-cs.html.

That Spanish article mainly recaps, almost word for word, all the recent info stated in the first post of this thread, with three exceptions:
  • claimed maximum power output of 405 hp: ("Como ya te hemos contado en algunas ocasiones, el nuevo BMW M2 CS montará el motor de gasolina S55 de 3.0 litros con una potencia máxima de 405 CV y que supone un incremento de 40 CV en comparación con el M2 convencional que monta el motor de gasolina TwinPower Turbo de seis cilindros en línea N55 que homologa una potencia de 370 CV.").
    However, 370 hp + 40 hp = 410 hp. As a matter of fact, the "302" kW figure of the mystery VIN referenced in the first post of this thread = 405 hp (mech) = 410.6 hp (metric). The Spanish article either mixes up those figures or writes for a US public.
  • claimed limited production of 1000 units and a numbered plaque: likely another mix-up with the rumored 999 figure for the mystery M2 GTS (still uncertain whether that car will ever see the light - no real signs of life yet, if ever). Sources at the German 2erTalk forum indicated last April that the M2 CS isn't supposed to be limited production, which sounds to make sense except if BMW has changed its mind in the meantime. I keep believing unlimited production till M2 end of production (2020).
  • the last paragraph about some changes to front end, rear end and brakes: likely educated guessing.
      09-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #752
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Me: There's a black M2 over there in the parking lot. Let's swing by it on the way out.
Wife: That's it? I thought it would look more expensive.

Honestly, I have to agree. It looked more like someone put an M2 badge a 235. I've seen an M2 in BSM and it looked great. It just didn't have the muscular look that I recall.

Edit:. I'm almost sure that someone put an M2 badge on their m235 after looking at images. I don't think car in question has fangs on front bumper.
They more than likely removed the 35i off the back. Leaving only ///M 2
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #753
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
Couldn't see if it was manual or auto but from the gear changes on the videos I think it's DCT.
Paddles next to the steering wheel = M-DCT for this test mule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54 View Post
Couldn't see them [seats] clearly but looked like had covers on
Seats got covers = this test mule likely features different seats than those of the base M2.

Attachment 1685812
The perforated option maybe? I'm wondering if this option may be different than what we're used to. Maybe it's the same seat, but with alcantara center sections?

...wish we could see the tire type and size! #enhance #enhance
      09-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #754
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I think the integrated splitter makes sense. It's the only area on the front that looks to be changing besides air inlets, and goes along with Scott26 comment about less complexity.
Now just add the ducktail, and call it a day.
Edit:. An integrated splitter would also separate it as slightly "cheaper" when compared to m4 CS since it wouldn't be CF.
Fasten your seatbelt for some 'integrated splitter' galore...
(all render wizardry courtesy of our forum fellow Paul-Bracq-BMW: see here).

Compare with two renders by Paul-Bracq-BMW of bolted-on CF splitters:

09-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #755
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Any idea about the official reveal? November? January? Also the markup over the base M2?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #756
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
all of those renderings look amazing...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #757
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Here are real sunset orange images.
Attached Images

09-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #758
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Did i just talk myself into the 2018 LCI with Dinan S2 and carbon fiber parts? I am quite afraid of the dealership's part in all of this. I am not a long-time bmw buyer. I dont have a pedigree in my garage. While i am technically #1 at my dealership for CS, Will they sell to me as a first time BMW owner?() Will they sell one to me without a massive mark-up?(not likely) I would hate to pass up on the M2 in march, only to wait til May-Aug-October? to find out i have no chance at a CS.
I would take a Dinan S2 M2 over the S55 CS any day. Sound matters, don't forget that. The S55 sounds so bad that it can materially affect your enjoyment.

Also I stand by my bet; there will be NO manual CS.
      09-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #759
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I would take a Dinan S2 M2 over the S55 CS any day. Sound matters, don't forget that. The S55 sounds so bad that it can materially affect your enjoyment.

Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 01:25 AM   #760
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Quote:
Did i just talk myself into the 2018 LCI with Dinan S2 and carbon fiber parts? I am quite afraid of the dealership's part in all of this. I am not a long-time bmw buyer. I dont have a pedigree in my garage. While i am technically #1 at my dealership for CS, Will they sell to me as a first time BMW owner?() Will they sell one to me without a massive mark-up?(not likely) I would hate to pass up on the M2 in march, only to wait til May-Aug-October? to find out i have no chance at a CS.

Believe me! the sound of the S55 alone almost enough of a reason to steer clear of the CS. hopeful they figure something out to fix the sound. i laugh/cringe when i hear an M4 take off from a stop light. A sportcat on an N55 is almost perfect in my book.
      09-07-2017, 02:36 AM   #761
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Guess what will happen with your chips, stefan .

Name:  Roulette.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  77.9 KB
      09-07-2017, 03:06 AM   #762
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Here are real sunset orange images.
That orange looks terrible on M cars. Was at the dealership recently and they showed me M4 in that colour and the sales guy goes:
"Well, it doesn't look to good right... We've ordered the M Performance Package to make it a little better. I'll give you a call when we put it on if you like."
I said: "Don't bother"
It looked that bad, the colour is too dark in my opinion. If it was like in the render then yeah, why not.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 03:48 AM   #763
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Fasten your seatbelt for some 'integrated splitter' galore...
(all render wizardry courtesy of our forum fellow Paul-Bracq-BMW: see here).
[PICTURES]
Looks awesome that front splitter/bumper. Excellent work.

Question's ;
If the front splitter is as shown how will this affect the drag? I'm assuming the frontal area on the M2 is one of the reasons it's slower after 100mph.

Obviously the power hike will help but going 400hp and adding that splitter would negate quite a bit of that power bump as speed increases? Or will they add another 10-15hp to compensate for down force/drag..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #764
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Look at Corvettes with z07 package statistics. I think that's a good representation. Usually aero dings top speed, but increases cornering speed due to grip. Most tracks won't have you realizing the top speeds anyway.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #765
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
That orange looks terrible on M cars. Was at the dealership recently and they showed me M4 in that colour and the sales guy goes:
"Well, it doesn't look to good right... We've ordered the M Performance Package to make it a little better. I'll give you a call when we put it on if you like."
I said: "Don't bother"
It looked that bad, the colour is too dark in my opinion. If it was like in the render then yeah, why not.
Agreed. And I've seen it IRL too.

Give me a proper M orange like Sakhir any day.

Production Plant paint capabilities not withstanding bla bla bla.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #766
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is clearly subjective, and I do hope it sounds better than the base f80's. Hopefully on par with comp pack or M4CS sound.

But honestly I don't think it's as bad as most opinions on here.

I had the chance to swap with an M2 owner; me in his N55 M2 with MPE and him in my 1M with MadDad mid pipes. I was excited to drive the M2 and also hear the MPE. Honestly, close your eyes and all I can think of is Ford F-350 diesel! Not sure what everyone is so excited about. I wasn't impressed with the N55 sound.
      09-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #767
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
This is clearly subjective, and I do hope it sounds better than the base f80's. Hopefully on par with comp pack or M4CS sound.

I had the chance to swap with an M2 owner; me in his N55 M2 with MPE and him in my 1M with MadDad mid pipes. I was excited to drive the M2 and also hear the MPE. Honestly, close your eyes and all I can think of is Ford F-350 diesel! Not sure what everyone is so excited about. I wasn't impressed with the N55 sound.
During M Tour event I drove every M car there is and have to say that all of them are muted inside. The biggest impact and constant face grin was sponsored by M4 Convertible with ZCP and MPE exhaust. This thing was a blast and the noise was amazeballs If I was into a weekend GT car this would be my first choice.
I was surprised by how unremarkable the N55 sounded (MPE mitigates it to some extent) and how aggressive the ZCP M3/4 MPE was. But only with ZCP, normal M3/4 with MPE wasn't that good (less crackles and overall drama I think).
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #768
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
Any idea about the official reveal? November? January? Also the markup over the base M2?
Have also been wondering if there has been any firmer indication of the pricing lately. Last time I was tracking this it was nothing but wild speculation. Has it landed into a narrower band yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #769
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post

All in all... i have never heard a group of dudes talking about how impressed they were with BMW's exhaust. Sound doesn't seem to come up during BMW discussions.
When i said sportcat on an M2 is perfect, I meant that it is a great match for that car. The list is long and destinguished( like my j@#n$@n) of cars that sound better than the M2. I definitely like the M2 sound better than the M3/M4. IMO M3/M4 are too raspy and clicky- no personality, if that makes any sense. Honestly cringe-worthy when i hear it out in public. I hope BMW knows it to be a problem and are working to rectify
      09-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #770
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
All in all... i have never heard a group of dudes talking about how impressed they were with BMW's exhaust. Sound doesn't seem to come up during BMW discussions.
When i said sportcat on an M2 is perfect, I meant that it is a great match for that car. The list is long and destinguished( like my j@#n$@n) of cars that sound better than the M2. I definitely like the M2 sound better than the M3/M4. IMO M3/M4 are too raspy and clicky- no personality, if that makes any sense. Honestly cringe-worthy when i hear it out in public. I hope BMW knows it to be a problem and are working to rectify
I like that nod to Top Gun lol
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread