BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > I can't believe this: not getting an M2 or M2C because uncomfortably small inside

06-01-2018, 02:18 AM   #111
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Was merely trying to counter the idea that the responses to the OP were borne of defensiveness against a personal opinion vs. defensiveness against misinformation. Just as people would be justified to correct a poster who, hypothetically, might post that an M2 couldn't possibly be used to transport children, people were justified in this thread in countering the idea that buyers over 6' tall couldn't possibly be comfortable in this car. The OP is incredulous at the response to his post, just as people are incredulous that he put himself in this position by choosing to agonize for months (his words) rather than do what most here would consider a cursory Google search, let alone taking an hour to sit in an actual car. If people want to take umbrage that I pointed out this irony, that's their prerogative.
I haven't been following this thread at all. I saw it early on and literally rolled my eyes and ignored it. But my name was mentioned so here I am. Why everyone is trying to convince someone they don't know and from my limited understanding seems to be stubborn is beyond me. Way I look at it, is the position people like that put themselves in is punishment enough and should be lesson learned. If nothing is learned by this, well that's tough and I literally could care less. A wise person once told me "Stupid people live the hardest lives, they have to pay for all of their mistakes."
If only this wise person would proof-read your posts....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:37 AM   #112
KristianS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
.. AN M2 does not handle like a TRUCK and a 228 like a car right?

Among 2 series models..

the cars have the same chassis.
the cars have the same Steering system and geometry
the have the same wheelbase and wheels in the same location
the cars have similar shock and suspension pickup points (sway bar etc)
there are slight variations in spring and shock rates
there are slight differences in wheels and tires
Seating position is the same in all (with slight differences in the bolstering of the seats and the materials)
engine performance is MOOT when discussing chassis - yes.. of course an M2 accelerates harder.. but does the chassis feel when doing so ?

When you take away the difference in power provided by the motor.. you are down to handling capability and steering feel.

. is it CRAZY to say to suggest to someone that is interested in a 2 series.. to drive a 228/230/m235/M240 ? Of course not... because again.. they will all turn and steer and handle in much (no, i didnt say exactly) the same way...

Does a 2 series handle the same or even similarly to a Chevy Camaro? heck no.. because ALL of the items listed above are different.

Does a 2 series handle the same or even similarly to a FWD Honda Accord? HECK no.

Does a 2 series handle the same as an E39 5 series? NO because they have a different wheelbase, suspension design, suspension pickup point, seating position.. etc..

Do A 2 series 228 and M2 feel the same way due to their chassis similarities ? YES.

is ultimate handling at the limit different.. OF COURSE ! but it's not like an M2 is an APPLE and a 228 is PEAR.

COME on MAN don't be obtuse here. Perhaps you and the OP are just alike... as apparently... it never dawned on him to drive an M235 to see if he would perhaps want an M2... apparently because it's a " completely different car... "
I'm not sure I agree. The M2 has all the M3/M4 running gear so has much wider track which will make a difference to how the car feels. The steering rack or the way it is programmed is different. The dampers and springs are different. The wheels are different with much wider tyres - this is what gives the good stable front end and why the M3 is even better as it runs 265s up front. The LSD is present and same as the m3/M4. Oh and the wheelbase is 3mm longer in the M2

I do agree though that driven at average speeds they may feel similar to a degree because the wheelbase, engine weight, body proportions and driving position are similar.

Last edited by KristianS; 06-01-2018 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 1