08-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
DIY Tow Hook License Plate Mount

I got my car used and the previous owner never drilled the front bumper, and I figured it was about time to get a front plate on. I was super unsatisfied with a lot of the mount options (wasn't about to pay $100+ for a mount when a fix-it ticket is $25), so I decided to build my own.

In case you're wondering (seems like there's not really good information on this online), the tow hook is an ACME 3/4" with 8 Threads Per Inch (the standard is 6TPI). It's possible to buy a die for this and thread a metal rod and then mill it down to the same dimensions, but this solution is cheaper and should be strong enough for the forces a front license plate will experience in day-to-day driving. I'll let everyone know if it falls off

Will post the designs (STL files) via Thingiverse tomorrow in case you want to make your own. If there's enough interest, I'd be open to printing a few and shipping them for around the cost of a fix-it ticket.

EDIT: Here's the link to Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3804462

Imgur link:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by asciimike; 08-12-2019 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Adding Thingiverse link
Appreciate 1
Scrape37.50
      08-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
Scrape
Car Guy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Sounds very interesting. Like to see more info please.