BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > For little rock chips and nicks on my m2

07-27-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
M2 power
Rep
Drives: M2

For little rock chips and nicks on my m2

Hi, guys. I bought my M2 about 4 months ago, I absolutely love the car. Since I bought the car used with 12K miles on the car now, I did not wrap my car with PPF. I recently took a close look at my front bumper and I found a bunch of little nicks and little chips from the rocks. I don't know how you guys gonna handle these type things, I tried to fix it with dr color chips but it does not seem to work. It can not be seen if you standing in front of the car, you only be able to see it if you take a very close look. That being said, it does not really bother me that much since it is unnoticeable, but still every time I wash it, I know it is there, not one or two, there are bunch. Do you guys think I should just leave it or there is a better solution? I do not want to get it repaint it now since the winter is coming. Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

You gonna have to decide to PPF or live with it... it's going to be an issue with these cars... You should probably check out your rear quarter panels too.. or maybe not. Ignorance is bliss after all...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 01:45 AM   #3
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

dr colorchip
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      07-28-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 power View Post
Hi, guys. I bought my M2 about 4 months ago, I absolutely love the car. Since I bought the car used with 12K miles on the car now, I did not wrap my car with PPF. I recently took a close look at my front bumper and I found a bunch of little nicks and little chips from the rocks. I don't know how you guys gonna handle these type things, I tried to fix it with dr color chips but it does not seem to work. It can not be seen if you standing in front of the car, you only be able to see it if you take a very close look. That being said, it does not really bother me that much since it is unnoticeable, but still every time I wash it, I know it is there, not one or two, there are bunch. Do you guys think I should just leave it or there is a better solution? I do not want to get it repaint it now since the winter is coming. Thank you for your input.
I've got the same issue. At first there were just a few small chips and I ignored them, 4000km later and now there are a lot more. I'm looking at getting PPF applied to the front end so it cannot get any worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
it's going to be an issue with these cars...
Are the M2/M2C any more prone to rock chips than other models that go through the same paint booth and paint process at BMW Leipzig? Which areas of the car are more vulnerable than usual? I just got my M2C and ordered a roll of PPF. Haven't had time to go over the car yet but I plan to identify the high risk areas and apply PPF. I've never done a full car, only the high risk areas (and so far that strategy works OK for me).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
No they aren’t, all cars get them. I don’t wrap. It’s part of owning a car IMO. I feel like PPF is kind of like not putting miles on your car because you’ll have miles. Dr colorchip has served me well.
Appreciate 2
junx602.50
MI_Joe16.50
      07-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
M2 power
Rep
Drives: M2

Dr color chips do not seem to work for me. Again, all the chips and nicks I am talking about are very small. PPF on a used car doesn't seem like a good idea, just the front bumper, everything else on the car are fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Stone chips ruin the enjoyment for me.

So i have full front PPF as well as rear panels, boot lip and rocker splash areas and rear bumper splash.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #9
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I did front, hood, mirrors, partial rockers, roof and A pillars and rear quarter panels. Also did the rear bumper since it wasn't that much more for one solid peice and wanted to minimize lines. Compared to other cars, your rear quarter panel will get peppered with rocks due to the wide hips on the car. Factory provides a small peice of PPF in that area, but it's not big enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Clear wrap on mine - frontend paint stays perfect. Gaining a ton of miles yet still looking good
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 power View Post
Dr color chips do not seem to work for me. Again, all the chips and nicks I am talking about are very small. PPF on a used car doesn't seem like a good idea, just the front bumper, everything else on the car are fine.
Is your car white? I own several white cars and Dr. Colorchip never seems to work well on any of them. I've seen much better results with darker colors.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #12
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
No they aren’t, all cars get them. I don’t wrap. It’s part of owning a car IMO. I feel like PPF is kind of like not putting miles on your car because you’ll have miles. Dr colorchip has served me well.
I think this is one of those things that varies from person to person especially amongst enthusiasts. There's something very reassuring about not having to worry about your front end being chipped up when you are caught behind a vehicle spitting road debris at the front of your car or are driving it in the winter in a climate where the roads are sanded. I really, really wish I wasn't so OCD and could treat scratches and chips as battle scars but the battle is real and I can't so ppf enables me to enjoy my cars more without having to worry about stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I use these to help save my rear quarters...they work pretty well. Bought them from Automotive Passion in the UK. Carbon fiber arch guards. They catch a lot of the crap the front wheels spit up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I think this is one of those things that varies from person to person especially amongst enthusiasts. There's something very reassuring about not having to worry about your front end being chipped up when you are caught behind a vehicle spitting road debris at the front of your car or are driving it in the winter in a climate where the roads are sanded. I really, really wish I wasn't so OCD and could treat scratches and chips as battle scars but the battle is real and I can't so ppf enables me to enjoy my cars more without having to worry about stuff.
I hear you. I just don’t like how PPF looks on cars. Most of my cars have minor bits of it on strategic areas, but I’ve never seen PPF hold up like paint. It still scratches and doesn’t really let the paint pop. I feel like if the chips got bad enough, I’d repaint. I also ensure I’m not tailgating people, particularly trucks of any size. I really don’t have too many issues on my paint despite driving naked.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #15
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I hear you. I just don’t like how PPF looks on cars. Most of my cars have minor bits of it on strategic areas, but I’ve never seen PPF hold up like paint. It still scratches and doesn’t really let the paint pop. I feel like if the chips got bad enough, I’d repaint. I also ensure I’m not tailgating people, particularly trucks of any size. I really don’t have too many issues on my paint despite driving naked.
You should get suntek , the paint looks good
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Are the M2/M2C any more prone to rock chips than other models that go through the same paint booth and paint process at BMW Leipzig? Which areas of the car are more vulnerable than usual? I just got my M2C and ordered a roll of PPF. Haven't had time to go over the car yet but I plan to identify the high risk areas and apply PPF. I've never done a full car, only the high risk areas (and so far that strategy works OK for me).
Front bumper, mirrors, front fenders, hood, lower rocker panels (mine are shredded but at least they are sort of out of eye sight), larger piece over rear quarter panels, behind the rear wheels.

If you want to do more A pillars, leading edge of roof, doors. Maybe do trunk deck in case someone puts something on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #17
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I have the same PPF coverage as akkando. I’m at about 19K miles on my M2 with mostly highway miles and I’m sure glad I have PPF. As chewed up as the PPF is on the lower front bumper it sure is nice to know that the paint underneath is still in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #18
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I'm so glad my car came with ppf in all the right places (hood, mirrors, front quarter panels, trunk deck area). I did add a larger piece on the lower rear quarter panel.

I don't think I'd ever buy a new car and not put ppf on it. It is really hard to tell when a car has ppf these days. Paint pops just fine to me . And I don't need to worry immediately if a bird poops on it or bugs sit for a little longer.
Attached Images