BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #23
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Dang! Sorry to see that you are going buddy. I'm going to hang onto my 1M forever!

My M2 is on order but I think I will drop back from being first at my dealership until I can head what you guys have to say about it. I'm also hoping for a CSL version.

I think you're insane to give it up but I am really looking forward to some M2 reviews! Your posts were really helpful to noobs like myself and those videos from you more experienced guys really inspired me.

Many thanks you crazy guy!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Artemis

The 1 M will never leave you; it will always follow you and your new car. Just like it is in this pic.

how come they blur out the 1M in almost every promo photo of the M2...weird!!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 07:42 PM   #25
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Cause it's going so fast as it laps it! Can't get it in focus.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #26
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Lol! I noticed that too. In the video where it had all three of those cars they would show enough of the e30 but when it came to the 1M it looks like they were trying to hide it. Didn't want people to see the nutty fender flares I guess!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Lol! I noticed that too. In the video where it had all three of those cars they would show enough of the e30 but when it came to the 1M it looks like they were trying to hide it. Didn't want people to see the nutty fender flares I guess!
Bingo.

Showed it to a co-worker who kept asking "what the hell is that orange thing?"...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #28
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
possibly!

are you still getting an M2? are you keeping the 1M too or getting rid of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #29
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

1M>M2
Enough Said.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:11 PM   #30
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

If they show the 1M in focus people will think they are trying to sell the 1M as well and confuses people.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #31
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
This is truly sad news Luc...many great memories of our two orange blurs... Blasting through tunnels and harassing the cows and bike riders in five countries... It just won't be the same without you... And I feel sorry for your daughter who thought you were going to give her the car.....how could you do that to her? I have a 1M Matchbox I can send her to ease her suffering.....😊
      10-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #32
nesnah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Cause it's going so fast as it laps it! Can't get it in focus.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 04:20 AM   #33
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Today the time has come to bid farewell to my 1M.

It goes to a very good home, bestowed with numerous memories and stories, and entrusted with fine experiences. Looking back with lots of affection. Epic times with an epic car. I will always keep a special place inside my petrolhead heart for this automotive joy provider.

Undoubtedly, it will spring to mind from time to time when rowing the 6MT gears of my M2 next Spring. As the French saying goes: "Choisir, c'est toujours un peu mourir" ("Choosing is always a bit dying").

Protect those on board and may you live long and prosper, you little orange rascal.

Five postcards from the sweet past.
You will be back Artemis! so have you bought your second bottle of Pyrat?
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 04:58 AM   #34
Ringer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ms

Congratulations for your new purchase. Sure you're going to miss your 1M.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 04:58 AM   #35
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
possibly!

are you still getting an M2? are you keeping the 1M too or getting rid of it?
I'm keeping the 1M. My hope is to have them sitting next to each other....but, if I can only have one, it will be The 0ne!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
This is truly sad news Luc...many great memories of our two orange blurs... Blasting through tunnels and harassing the cows and bike riders in five countries... It just won't be the same without you... And I feel sorry for your daughter who thought you were going to give her the car.....how could you do that to her? I have a 1M Matchbox I can send her to ease her suffering.....😊
We talked it out, Rikx1M. She's getting my apartment in Italy (near the Dolomites and the Garda Lake).

Name:  TheBossHasSpoken.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  69.3 KB
      02-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #37
Artemis
Rep

Posting this comment of today also here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
IMO VO is a loud juvenile loud color color also.
Very much indeed.
As I said, we go through stages in life. There is a very specific reason why I got the vivid 1M in 2011, ordered it in vivid VO, and sold it late 2015 (which surprised quite some). And it is unrelated to the car, my wife, job or finance. It's related to a(nother) dearly beloved person who went through a stage.
MG [on an M2] is a more sinister color, but still less gloomy than BSM.
I think that you can read between the lines.
      02-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #38
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

So sad to see you go

Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #39
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Artemis, I have really enjoyed having you around. Best wishes and congrats on m2. Great ride!
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #40
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Sad to see another original member leave. Best of luck with the M2
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #41
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Artemis,

I am sorry to see you go. You have been here from the beginning. I wish you much happiness with your new M2 and hope you will share your adventures and observations as appropriate.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #42
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Best of luck Artemis,
thank you so much for your contribution and mastery of the 1M..
godspeed with the M2, it's coming soon!!
      06-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #43
Artemis
Rep

Some asked me for some M2 versus 1M thoughts.

As commented already in the past, we all know that Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the Atlantic in a solo non-stop flight. Many after him emulated his feat in a faster time and with better planes ...but everyone keeps referring to Lindbergh as the pioneer, the one reported in the books as the classic.

That's how I will keep approaching the 1M: a 21st century back-to-basics pocket-rocket trendsetter, delivering drive after drive. Visceral, rebel-ish and eclectic: embodying fine bits and pieces exquisitely puzzled together to a car inducing "Je ne sais quoi" feelings (cfr. a desirable "It" factor). Embracing a dash of the serendipity spirit, instantly getting BMW M accolades, hat tips and rave reviews exceeding initial expectations. Move to groove, and you'll find out: what a car !

But let's not infer from that point of view that the 1M was the very last section of the book on ///M car classics. IMHO the 1M also incorporated/incorporates the potential of a promising ///M future, a cliffhanger for another great episode in ///M Land. Also inspiring competitors to build compact, powerful cars, equally pleasing manual transmission aficionados, with an emphasis on great chassis dynamics offering driving pleasure when zippingly zooming through sensual S-es and twirling twisties (pulling G's through the S's), rather than focusing on cold maths (including straight-line speed statistics). "How exciting was the drive ?" as leading question ringing your mind when you get out of the car.

It was/is up to BMW and BMW M to decide whether to further explore (also) that semi-kinky direction on the 'warmer side of cool' spectrum. Hence, the M2 and possible M2 variants (CS/CSL/GTS ?).

Whether the 1M's spiritual successor(s) can match the 1M awesomeness level, is a tad too personal (and currently even too early to answer). Personal preferences will be of influence: so-called 'purism' (though a rather vague notion), nostalgia, daily driver, more street-oriented, more track-oriented, regularly also more people on board, etc. ?

For some the M2 (c.q. future M2 variants) will certainly match that level, for some it will even up the ante with another notch and for some it will fall short. For example, it has been already righteously pointed out that the 1M can drive like it has 'ants in its pants', that its 'feistiness' makes it a bit of a rascal or wildflower, taking you for a drive on the treacherous wild side (and eventually beyond). But in the end it strikes a nice balance between wild and domesticated, impetuously but not erratic.

The M2 is indeed more indulgent/forgiving/lenient for driver's excitement than the 1M, awarding it (i.e. the M2) a more mature stature: the M2's back is broad enough to take the strain at a point where the 1M gives up and throws you out of the saddle. Some will like this kind of indulgence for safety reasons (staying on course), others probably don't (preferring a more challenging 'no risk no fun' on-the-edge behavior, requiring more attention or skill from the driver to avoid going off course). As indicated, in the end it's a personal thing.

Here's to hoping that most car enthusiasts, c.q. ///M-thusiasts, will consider - in a near-future digital-ish eDrive era - that both the 1M and the M2 remain prime examples of motoring marvels straight out of that good old six-banger semi-'analog' ///M era.

A lot of enthusiasts are craving to even get a ride in any of these vehicles (the 1M sometimes happens to be already labeled "unobtainium"). If you happen to own one of these, then consider yourself a lucky person. Take it out for another drive soon, and enjoy it to bits. In the end, none of the experienced moments of driving pleasure can ever be taken away from you anymore.

Personally loving both. Moved on and thankful for the past. No regrets, really. Alike friends of the past you spent great times with: the fact that things have changed over time, with each living different lives nowadays (and with some friend(s) possibly already perished in the meantime), does by no means prevent you to cherish a walk down memory lane, thinking back with a smile about great times from that (faraway) past too. Fond memories never tire.

The 1M was never bored because the 1M was never boring.

Last edited by Artemis; 11-21-2016 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Repaired the broken link to the PSB videoclip
Appreciate 5
      06-14-2016, 05:27 AM   #44
krzykk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a sissy

Luc,
I read your post first time yesterday and I am still impressed by your writing and comments.
You are spot on.
Congrats on your new M2 and good luck. Have fun with her, I know you will.
PS. Superb choice of music. That PSB song was in my head for so long (long time ago).

Last edited by krzykk; 06-14-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 1