BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > driver door won't close (latch issue?)

04-19-2024, 10:08 PM   #1
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
driver door won't close (latch issue?)

Drove somewhere tonight, got out of car went to shut door, and it won't close. I thought at first the belt was in the jam and it did close the second time. Come back outside to leave and same issue. This time it won't budge. Drove home (holding onto the door for 10 miles was not fun!) and got it into the garage. Finally after locking and unlocking I heard something release in the door latch and I was able to shut the door. Which is good as an open door all night, would have killed the battery. I'm assuming the latch in the door may be bad, or perhaps just needs lubrication, but does anyone know or seen this issue? This is my 4th BMW and have never seen this problem before nor have I every had to lubricate anything in the door
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 03:37 AM   #2
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4501 View Post
Drove somewhere tonight, got out of car went to shut door, and it won't close. I thought at first the belt was in the jam and it did close the second time. Come back outside to leave and same issue. This time it won't budge. Drove home (holding onto the door for 10 miles was not fun!) and got it into the garage. Finally after locking and unlocking I heard something release in the door latch and I was able to shut the door. Which is good as an open door all night, would have killed the battery. I'm assuming the latch in the door may be bad, or perhaps just needs lubrication, but does anyone know or seen this issue? This is my 4th BMW and have never seen this problem before nor have I every had to lubricate anything in the door
First I’ve seen of this issue. Are you still under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:00 AM   #3
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Unfortunately, my warranty is no more....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 10:46 PM   #4
supra0083
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Sunset Orange

Garage List
So I used to have a 135i and have a malfunction door latch. It just worked intermittently but it almost always just not unlocking once it is locked. The way how the mechanism works is to prevent the lock piece in the door to turn to open position. With this long winded background, I actually got into the exact situation you talked about on my M2C. I am lucky that it happened at home and I was able to figure it out. It turned out that my jacket caugh the lock when I got out and turned it to locked position. The push pin on top of the door would still be in unlock position but the lock is closed, hence you cannot close the door. It will hit the latch. Since you think it is unlocked judged by the position of the push pin on top, you go ahead and lock and unlock. The part that helps is actually the unlock which turn the lock to open position , hence it will catch the latch. Try open you door, use a pen or screwdriver to act as the latch and you will see what I mean. Hope this is your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:25 AM   #5
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
This used to happen on my F10.. It was very random and hard to replicate. locking and unlocking the door a few times would help.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:55 AM   #6
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Have you tried Noom?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 09:50 PM   #7
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra0083 View Post
So I used to have a 135i and have a malfunction door latch. It just worked intermittently but it almost always just not unlocking once it is locked. The way how the mechanism works is to prevent the lock piece in the door to turn to open position. With this long winded background, I actually got into the exact situation you talked about on my M2C. I am lucky that it happened at home and I was able to figure it out. It turned out that my jacket caugh the lock when I got out and turned it to locked position. The push pin on top of the door would still be in unlock position but the lock is closed, hence you cannot close the door. It will hit the latch. Since you think it is unlocked judged by the position of the push pin on top, you go ahead and lock and unlock. The part that helps is actually the unlock which turn the lock to open position , hence it will catch the latch. Try open you door, use a pen or screwdriver to act as the latch and you will see what I mean. Hope this is your case.
Thanks for your reply. I might have caught it when I exited but not sure as the second time I closed the door it did latch without any action on my end. i was able to duplicate the behavior on the passenger side by flipping the push pin as you mentioned. I did resolve it by manually locking/unlocking and haven't had an issue in the past week
Appreciate 0