BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Which Intake Should I buy?????

02-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #23
sh_kross
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Long Beach Blue M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'm on standby to get the Eventuri intake. I'm need to double check with my service center/dealer to make sure it doesn't void my warranty. But I'm sold on it already, only one that has the style that I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

1. Factory airbox flows just fine. I'm willing to bet there's no bottleneck here with a drop in filter even with PS2.
2. Any negligible gains to had from an intake usually don't equate to a net gain overall due to turbulence over MAF. This is not to say ALL intakes have this problem, but it's common. Sometimes this turbulence is a pain in the ass for tuners to work with.
3. Heat soak will only occur when sitting at a dead stop. Once you move, the air will cool down rapidly. Unless you're drag racing and need that extra .0001 seconds, you're not going to notice a loss in track times.
4. A turbocharger RAPIDLY heats up air molecules. This is the directly result of friction. "Cold Air Intake" is a misnomer on a turbocharged car. Doesn't matter if the IAT at the filter is 10* warmer, the direct result on charged air temp is almost non-existent. This is why you have a *hopefully* functioning intercooler/heat exchanger.

Buy an intake because you want sound, looks, or both. Open element or closed element really doesn't matter unless you're a stoplight-stoplight racer. Open element will provide more turbo noises, closed will have marginally better throttle response (if any at all) in stop & go traffic. As others have stated, if you're looking for functional performance gains, intercooler is going to be the best investment in terms of charged air temps, and you can buy 2-3 of any intercoolers on the market for the price of some of these intakes out there.
Appreciate 2
ZPrime611.50
bollinm25.00
      02-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #25
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
1. Factory airbox flows just fine. I'm willing to bet there's no bottleneck here with a drop in filter even with PS2.
2. Any negligible gains to had from an intake usually don't equate to a net gain overall due to turbulence over MAF. This is not to say ALL intakes have this problem, but it's common. Sometimes this turbulence is a pain in the ass for tuners to work with.
3. Heat soak will only occur when sitting at a dead stop. Once you move, the air will cool down rapidly. Unless you're drag racing and need that extra .0001 seconds, you're not going to notice a loss in track times.
4. A turbocharger RAPIDLY heats up air molecules. This is the directly result of friction. "Cold Air Intake" is a misnomer on a turbocharged car. Doesn't matter if the IAT at the filter is 10* warmer, the direct result on charged air temp is almost non-existent. This is why you have a *hopefully* functioning intercooler/heat exchanger.

Buy an intake because you want sound, looks, or both. Open element or closed element really doesn't matter unless you're a stoplight-stoplight racer. Open element will provide more turbo noises, closed will have marginally better throttle response (if any at all) in stop & go traffic. As others have stated, if you're looking for functional performance gains, intercooler is going to be the best investment in terms of charged air temps, and you can buy 2-3 of any intercoolers on the market for the price of some of these intakes out there.
Big thing worth remembering - any aftermarket filter that claims to flow better is usually doing so by sacrificing actual filtering ability. In other words, the "high flow filter" also fails to filter out as much grit as a factory paper accordion.

So yeah, you get a bit more sound, but you're also sucking in more dirt. Into your engine. Dirt and grit, which can increase wear and potentially break stuff. Oh, and it's going into the turbo compressor wheel first, so one more thing to damage, and something that is balanced to within a few thousandths of a gram IIRC.

Seems like a great idea to suck tiny pieces of "dirt" (which could include hard material like quartz or steel bits) into a precision-engineered turbine and hope that nothing goes wrong.

If there really was a gain to be had with aftermarket filters and intake tubes, wouldn't the manufacturer already engineer that into their own product?

Like others have said, intakes are for sounds only, and be aware that you are probably shortening the life of the engine.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
qnet684.50
      02-27-2018, 02:44 AM   #26
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
The stock intake is great! Just can't hear it much lol!

A turbo inlet would be very beneficial imo, but even more beneficial with a larger turbo. I have the turbo inlet too.
Yes - hi flow inlet is worthwhile IMHO - I had Pure hi flow inlet pipe on my M135i - see post #34 below - taken from this bimmerpost thread.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=34

Hence, based on my experience with fettling my M135i's intake, my plan for my M2's intake is :-

OEM intake with AFE dry drop in + ER CP and TIC pipes + Pure hi flow pure and then either wagner evo 2 comp or CSF FMIC.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      02-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Can anyone who owns the Dinan intake verify what type of air filter it uses, proprietary or oem panel drop in paper filter?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #28
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
Can anyone who owns the Dinan intake verify what type of air filter it uses, proprietary or oem panel drop in paper filter?
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d40...eries=&mid=M2/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:33 AM   #29
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
I got the Eventuri 2 weeks ago and I want it off my car asap. So much noise, not good noise. Hollow, whistle/ howling sounds at low rpm. It only sounds good when you are driving at full intensity, otherwise it's embarrassing for me to seen/heard driving with it.

I'd noted this on various YouTube clips and queried but the owners said the howling noise (like blowing in a bottle) wasn't so noticeable from the cabin... but it is.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      02-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #30
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan King View Post
Shame Dinan CAI means hacking LH OE brace else I'd of bought one for my M2....

Anyone got any views on AFE Momentum GT intake ???

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      02-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #31
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Shame Dinan CAI means hacking LH OE brace else I'd of bought one for my M2....

Anyone got any views on AFE Momentum GT intake ???
Oh, I didn't know that. What's with Dinan and all the cutting their designs need? Their intercooler needs cutting too. Other designs prove cutting isn't needed.

Dinan was my #1 choice, now I have to rethink. Every other intake I've seen is either too expensive or too ugly.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 12:13 PM   #32
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post

#4 got me curious because it's something I never thought of, so I looked it up. This article disagrees with your logic. Stating that hot intake air means the turbo needs to work harder to create boost pressure because hot air is less dense than cold air.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/the-e...rged-vehicles/
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #33
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Oh, I didn't know that. What's with Dinan and all the cutting their designs need? Their intercooler needs cutting too. Other designs prove cutting isn't needed.

Dinan was my #1 choice, now I have to rethink. Every other intake I've seen is either too expensive or too ugly.
Hi,
Dinan intercooler needs cutting because it is dual core versus single or stepped core.

I would not go with Dinan intercooler unless you are going with larger turbos (larger than Dinan turbo). a high density 6" intercooler like Wagner will a better option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
Dinan intercooler needs cutting because it is dual core versus single or stepped core.

I would not go with Dinan intercooler unless you are going with larger turbos (larger than Dinan turbo). a high density 6" intercooler like Wagner will a better option
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'm new to these types of mods and options, so your knowledge is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #35
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I'm new to these types of mods and options, so your knowledge is appreciated.
My pleasure, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:16 AM   #36
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
I got the Eventuri 2 weeks ago and I want it off my car asap. So much noise, not good noise. Hollow, whistle/ howling sounds at low rpm. It only sounds good when you are driving at full intensity, otherwise it's embarrassing for me to seen/heard driving with it.

I'd noted this on various YouTube clips and queried but the owners said the howling noise (like blowing in a bottle) wasn't so noticeable from the cabin... but it is.
I know exactly what you’re talking about I’ve had the Eventuri twice on my car (bought it sold it, bought it again now currently on car)...it’s a really weird whistling sound exactly like blowing in a bottle but VERY faint. I’m catless + Akrapovic and I can still hear it (valves open or closed) but it’s still minimal only at low load. My attention to detail is crazy tho so most probably wouldn’t hear it anyways. Other than that it makes great noises all the time, otherwise I don’t think a passenger would even notice it.

Still the best intake IMO...if one were to get an intake.

PS have you seen their new filter? I have it sitting at home right now, gonna make an install guide perhaps that might change the low load whistles you speak of? We’ll see...but to me the sound is in the carbon tube because it sounds really hollow if that makes sense.
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      03-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
I know exactly what you’re talking about I’ve had the Eventuri twice on my car (bought it sold it, bought it again now currently on car)...it’s a really weird whistling sound exactly like blowing in a bottle but VERY faint. I’m catless + Akrapovic and I can still hear it (valves open or closed) but it’s still minimal only at low load. My attention to detail is crazy tho so most probably wouldn’t hear it anyways. Other than that it makes great noises all the time, otherwise I don’t think a passenger would even notice it.

Still the best intake IMO...if one were to get an intake.

PS have you seen their new filter? I have it sitting at home right now, gonna make an install guide perhaps that might change the low load whistles you speak of? We’ll see...but to me the sound is in the carbon tube because it sounds really hollow if that makes sense.
I think I found a clip of the sound your describing. I don't have the intake, so let me know.

@3:24 in this video

Appreciate 3
NO_USER_537.50
specka71.00
TProfit81.50
      03-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #38
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
All open air intakes have cosistantlly dynoed at 5-10whp reduduction is high RPM range...really common sense...

However, The BMS which i had made that turbo scream, and the dinan I had looks beatiful and at least takes advat=ntage of the flawless stock airbox.

Like many said drop in filter can give a few ponies...and k&N and BMS supposedly filter just aas well as stock... u can make a filter flow more without sacrificing filtering ability...so whoever said the opposite is not theoretically correct...

Last edited by DKX4///M; 03-01-2018 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #39
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think I found a clip of the sound your describing. I don't have the intake, so let me know.

@3:24 in this video

No it's not that sound, that's "normal" of the Eventuri...that little whistle at the end (reminds me of like a submarine radar LOL) isn't as pronounced with my 2nd Eventuri. But those sounds in the video are why people get intakes...for that sweeeeet induction noise
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #40
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Yeah the sound is very noticeable in that clip, and any clip. Its not the induction sound - im fine with that, its the sound when you let off the throttle, or when you are just cruising in traffic at a constant low rpm it is constantly there. I've had intakes on my other cars before that do not suffer this effect. I don't like it, as its not proportional to any kind of throttle that's being applied. I find the car just sounds noisy all the time. Granted when you really hammer it, the sound is good.

tehboost I'd be keen to hear if the new filter makes any difference. I agree that it's the carbon tube and probably the open filter design that create this sound.

Expensive mistake - they're over 2k down here in Australia!

Ill have a Fabspeed Sportscat and a M Performance exhaust on the car within the month so will probably keep it on the off chance that helps conceal it or balance it out aurally.
      03-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #41
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Its only because we have recirculating blow off valves...meaning excess boost is released back into intake tract after MAF sensor on shifting or letting off throttle...As opposed to "Open Air/atmosphere" releasing into atmosphere...

Changing without adjusting programming, causes and a super rich AFR on shifts or letting off, and will cause stalling and msses....

Itd be cool if Bootmod3 had an option to switch over so we could keep our efficient stock intake or use a DINAN intake but get that blow off like BMS or AFE
      03-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #42
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Yeah the sound is very noticeable in that clip, and any clip. Its not the induction sound - im fine with that, its the sound when you let off the throttle, or when you are just cruising in traffic at a constant low rpm it is constantly there. I've had intakes on my other cars before that do not suffer this effect. I don't like it, as its not proportional to any kind of throttle that's being applied. I find the car just sounds noisy all the time. Granted when you really hammer it, the sound is good.

tehboost I'd be keen to hear if the new filter makes any difference. I agree that it's the carbon tube and probably the open filter design that create this sound.

Expensive mistake - they're over 2k down here in Australia!

Ill have a Fabspeed Sportscat and a M Performance exhaust on the car within the month so will probably keep it on the off chance that helps conceal it or balance it out aurally.
Here's the install post I made:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1472425

Changed the sound lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #44
OwlWe
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

Had the Gruppe M on my previous M135i but after switching to the M2 . The stock box would be good enough . Lol [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1