BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Should I wait to paint correct after wax?

05-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Should I wait to paint correct after wax?

During my hand wash today I noticed a scratch where a rock hit (and broke thru the film!!!!) my stock PPF and glanced across to the wheel well, so there is a long scratch essentially after the PPF to the wheel well. I continued to wax with CG wet wax anyways and then realized the wax kind of filled the scratch for now ...should I wait for the wax to wear off before correcting? Is there a way to wipe the wax out of the scratch so I can apply colorchip? Or just wait it out until it's dirty again?

Probably a dumb question but had to ask because all I can think of is getting to it ASAP
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

You can strip the wax, either by washing with a product for that or even using a paint prep panel wipe.

Then have someone fix the scratch prior to waxing again.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      05-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

If you can feel the scratch with your nail it's done.
      05-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Thanks you guys,

I will mess with it today when i get home from work.

Bruce_SC you are essentially saying its too deep for colorchip if i can feel it with my nail and a professional should correct it?

Thanks! it looks badass regardless lol
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
oops tagged the wrong reply.. see above
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #6
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
During my hand wash today I noticed a scratch where a rock hit (and broke thru the film!!!!) my stock PPF and glanced across to the wheel well, so there is a long scratch essentially after the PPF to the wheel well. I continued to wax with CG wet wax anyways and then realized the wax kind of filled the scratch for now ...should I wait for the wax to wear off before correcting? Is there a way to wipe the wax out of the scratch so I can apply colorchip? Or just wait it out until it's dirty again?

Probably a dumb question but had to ask because all I can think of is getting to it ASAP
The price we have to pay when your baby's got back

Ian ///M491.00
      05-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mē View Post
The price we have to pay when your baby's got back

hehe my 100+ exit ramp shenanigans catching up to me. had to throw one back to them hips flying
Appreciate 1
///Mē281.00
      05-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
+1. If you can feel it with your nail, do not attempt to correct it. It's too deep.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      05-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Dawn will remove the wax.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      05-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Dawn will remove the wax.
Thanks buddy.

I can feel it with my nail so ill leave that one for the pros. now im in the boat of deciding whether to leave it be and correct before I sell in future cause i would be tight if i fixed it then it happened again. It looks cool and im not too OCD so maybe ill leave it be for now and keep it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangspeed View Post
+1. If you can feel it with your nail, do not attempt to correct it. It's too deep.
He wants to use dr colorchip on it though.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      06-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Colorchip

Quote:
Thanks you guys,

I will mess with it today when i get home from work.

Bruce_SC you are essentially saying its too deep for colorchip if i can feel it with my nail and a professional should correct it?

Thanks! it looks badass regardless lol
You could still use Dr. Colorchip to hide it, but to truly fix it would need more in-depth attention.

Bruce
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      07-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Thats kind of a kick in the nuts though, isnt it, when your expensive Xpel or whatever film gets pierced?... That must have been some sharp large projectile which hit.

Kind of begs the question, how much paint protection is your paint protection film supposed to get you?!

Last edited by boostm3; 07-02-2017 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      07-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #14
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Thats kind of a kick in the nuts though, isnt it, when your expensive Xpel or whatever film gets pierced?... That must have been some sharp large projectile which hit.

Kind of begs the question, how much paint protection is your paint protection film supposed to get you?!
it was the stock PPF on the side, but yes i was enamored that something broke the skin slightly. I never fixed the mark, but it is barely visible even when clean. and wax fills the rest. I have 2 1 cm gashes on the right side above the PPF (about 1 o clock) also from a rock being thrown back that just missed the film by about 2 inches . These cars def will have some "usage" scars in the future but i love natural scars that come from driving/having fun!

edit- i never notice much on xpel! they self heal so if u catch a bad one it can go from unsightly to barely noticeable in about a day or so . I also notice that the stock PPF really does catch alot of bad hits, i always get out of my AW and see dirt impact marks that i wipe off with my thumb from rocks being thrown back
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
it was the stock PPF on the side, but yes i was enamored that something broke the skin slightly. I never fixed the mark, but it is barely visible even when clean. and wax fills the rest. I have 2 1 cm gashes on the right side above the PPF (about 1 o clock) also from a rock being thrown back that just missed the film by about 2 inches . These cars def will have some "usage" scars in the future but i love natural scars that come from driving/having fun!

edit- i never notice much on xpel! they self heal so if u catch a bad one it can go from unsightly to barely noticeable in about a day or so . I also notice that the stock PPF really does catch alot of bad hits, i always get out of my AW and see dirt impact marks that i wipe off with my thumb from rocks being thrown back
I'm in awe that this stuff is self healing.. Ive seen video demos, but hearing it from a real live owner means a lot.. So, this stuff really heals its own scrapes and bruises? Even my own Living skin has trouble doing that sometimes. Does it really work? Im seriously considering getting the full hood, front bumper, fenders and mirrors... Maybe the rocker panels too, although on my 135i, theyre still pretty clean, soon after I take delivery sometime around mid Oct.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-03-2017 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I'm in awe that this stuff is self healing.. Ive seen video demos, but hearing it from a real live owner means a lot.. So, this stuff really heals its own scrapes and bruises? Even my own Living skin has trouble doing that sometimes. Does it really work? Im seriously considering getting the full hood, front bumper, fenders and mirrors... Maybe the rocker panels too, although on my 135i, theyre still pretty clean, soon after I take delivery sometime around mid Oct.
haha dont get too carried away im referring to superficial abrasions and such. not sure what a tear in the material does. my front bumper has half Xpel and it does a great job , no stone chips, and easy to clean off bugs and grime
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #17
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
haha dont get too carried away im referring to superficial abrasions and such. not sure what a tear in the material does. my front bumper has half Xpel and it does a great job , no stone chips, and easy to clean off bugs and grime
Thanks... I think Ill scale back my wants a bit, and just get the front bumper and maybe rocker panels including fronts of rear fenders done.. Price on that should be about $1150... The hood on my 135i is devoid of any dings at all, and I really would like to leave as much of the paint uncovered as possible. Im pretty good at paint correction and maintenance, and Im comfortable with my abilities at getting a great finish/shine on oe paint. Wrapped panels are still an unknown, and always carry the risk of installer error, film defects, etc. To me, and given my history and experience, front bumpers are the only mandatory zones to get covered..
      07-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:

get it done when you have the time, you can always wax again later.
Appreciate 0