BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > STEK Dynoshield PPF Feedback

02-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

STEK Dynoshield PPF Feedback

For those of you who have some experience with this film, I was wondering if the need to add ceramic is still there given they advertise high hydrophobic qualities. I am getting a full cover in PPF on a M2 CS. I also learned STEK does not provide plotting software which means it is bulk cut apparently. My M2C had Llumar and full ceramic. That application had some seams visible due to how the plotter cut it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I hope it's a reputable installer. I've seen sooooo many of these "bulk" guys just hack the heck out of cars.

Otherwise stek is a decent film. The only bad film is the one installed poorly. Especially when it comes to bulk.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I hope it's a reputable installer. I've seen sooooo many of these "bulk" guys just hack the heck out of cars.

Otherwise stek is a decent film. The only bad film is the one installed poorly. Especially when it comes to bulk.
Very reputable. Lots of positive feedback on google reviews (60+) and referral from EAG. They are probably not like Esoteric, but then again neither are the prices.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:

Very reputable. Lots of positive feedback on google reviews (60+) and referral from EAG. They are probably not like Esoteric, but then again neither are the prices.
Quote:
Quote:

Good! I can't speak for esoteric. But I will say I've seen the work the biggest and fanciest shops of socal out out....didn't meet my standards! It's easy to hide flaws in PPF on camera.

Find a shop your comfortable with and trust. Make sure the installers are good. Film really doesn't matter. The only thing I will say is that XPEL has THE BEST patterns and with knowledge on how to modify them on the DAP software you can do a modified pattern install that in many cases will yield a better result over bulking.

I've seen a lot of bulk installs where too much emphasis was placed on an overall "one piece" bumper. The problem is, sooo much tension is used that you can't get the film into deep areas so they end up shorting coverage in areas.

Long and the short. Build a relationship with a good company and your set.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3771.00
      02-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

we have a local detailer here who tried to switch from Xpel to STEK. he picked up a bunch of rolls. he ended up not pursuing it any further and just stayed with XPel.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
we have a local detailer here who tried to switch from Xpel to STEK. he picked up a bunch of rolls. he ended up not pursuing it any further and just stayed with XPel.
My guess would be for the patterns. A lot of installers think STEK is sooo amazing because the adhesive is very low tack and it allows lower skilled installers to not have as many distortions in the adhesive
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Will find out next week and share my thoughts. M2C was Xpel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Nothing against other shops, I'm sure shops you have never heard of are really good but PPF isn't a place you want to be saving money on.

Drive your car to Md and fly home. My guy trained the staff at Esoteric.

Full car custom wrap is $8500, Add $2g on top of that for correction and coatings. He has done 2 M2CS thus far.

Xpel only for him thou, and once you become an Xpel user, you might want to look into buying their stock also....going up. XPEL.

Awesome advice from AWC-F87 also. He is spot on.
      02-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Nothing against other shops, I'm sure shops you have never heard of are really good but PPF isn't a place you want to be saving money on.

Drive your car to Md and fly home. My guy trained the staff at Esoteric.

Full car custom wrap is $8500, Add $2g on top of that for correction and coatings. He has done 2 M2CS thus far.

Xpel only for him thou, and once you become an Xpel user, you might want to look into buying their stock also....going up. XPEL.

Awesome advice from AWC-F87 also. He is spot on.
Thanks man. Hopefully it doesn't get me banned lol. But I am the only installer in the USA with awards I have for PPF. I've won competitions for both XPEL and Suntek.
If your guys any good or he's competed. He probably knows me.
I have 8 international medals.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. Hopefully it doesn't get me banned lol. But I am the only installer in the USA with awards I have for PPF. I've won competitions for both XPEL and Suntek.
I won't have my car back until next week sometime. They were referred to me from a source I trust. They told me they have patterns for the plotter they use on STEK. Because of the winter weather and salt here, I did not want to drive my car anywhere so it went into their covered trailer from the dealer and will be delivered to my house covered as well.

I'll be making a trip to inspect before they load it up. This is their 2nd CS. Appreciate all the advice, will update once I get it. Had XPEL on my M2C and no complaints on the film. Install/trimming wasn't great. Esoteric was really expensive and out of my budget. The company I am using has been solid to deal with so far and included transport in the price.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #11
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I won't have my car back until next week sometime. They were referred to me from a source I trust. They told me they have patterns for the plotter they use on STEK. Because of the winter weather and salt here, I did not want to drive my car anywhere so it went into their covered trailer from the dealer and will be delivered to my house covered as well.

I'll be making a trip to inspect before they load it up. This is their 2nd CS. Appreciate all the advice, will update once I get it. Had XPEL on my M2C and no complaints on the film. Install/trimming wasn't great. Esoteric was really expensive and out of my budget. The company I am using has been solid to deal with so far and included transport in the price.
That's great customer service! I'm sure the car will look beautiful man, congrats!!
Appreciate 0