BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M Performance Parts Revealed For M2 Competition

05-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #221
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Dealers will NOT be installing CF roofs. Dealers Don't cut up cars. If bmw were to do that dealers would have to set up new processes, hire trained people plus purchase additional equipment.

The demand for retrofit is so low that the whole move would be a money pit. BMW is into making money, you'll have to buy from the factory and find a shop on your own to do the install.

Now If dealers had designated shops they could recommend that would be nice and it wouldn't cost them a thing.
I don't believe BMW wants to sell a CF hood, trunk, roof, and fenders and tell people good luck on finding someone to handle painting and install!
They did that with all their other M Performance body parts, I don't see how now is different. A local body shop painted all of mines, they came primed..
I can't remember... When did BMW offer this type of body parts (roof, hood, fenders etc) as part of their M Performance lineup? Some of these parts not only require excessive labor but also high quality paint job (hood, fenders, trunk lid). Therefore, I don't think BMW will offfer just primed parts and say go figure out the rest yourself. So far the best route is to order it with the car as a port or factory installed option but there will be many others who may want to retrofit these parts after taking delivery of their cars (including current M2 owners). Not sure if BMW will offer a half baked solution for those people.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope it's all factory installed, for quality sake.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #222
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Just me, or is this a little much?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #223
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
All the parts I'm interested in will be available after 11/2018. If I order the car before that, I'll pretty much be screwed assuming these CF parts will be installed either at the factory or at the port. I guess this means more waiting for me....
And maybe after postponing till next year, you may feel tempted to postpone again should by then, who knows, BMW surprise us all again with some 'CF Galore Edition' or 'Whatever' variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Money grab or not, at least BMW has listened.
All the stuff everyone was complaining about is now at least available, if not already standard on the M2 Competition (sans NA engine, but that won't happen anytime soon).
It seems although BMW want M2C owners to build their own "CSL".
At a price of course, but with this offering, you get to choose to omit stuff that you don't want (such as LED door projectors, etc.)
Overall this is great news, not so great for the aftermarket companies, but great news for the consumer. Remember this is all OEM with warranty!!
Absolutely incredible.
True. More choice to customize according to your personal taste.
Attachment 1818982
This is not about postponing or waiting for what's next. These are just the parts I was planning to upgrade down the road anyway. Instead of not waiting and retrofitting them later thru a dealer or a bodyshop, I much prefer BMW installing them for me with the warranty. After seeing these parts, even if BMW introduced the limted edition M2 CS/L tomorrow, I would have zero interest in it. BMW is basically letting their customers to build their own CS/L. This is all I wanted so waiting till November/December to order won't change a single thing for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #224
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Hahaha just as I thought I'd finally made a decision away from the Comp they pull me back in!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #225
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Yes the wing and the rear trunk is fugly. Other stuff is sweet.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      05-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #226
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
It's not too much. Ya takes it or ya leaves it, simple.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #227
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Jesus Christ I'm trading it in
      05-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #228
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
It's not too much. Ya takes it or ya leaves it, simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
Yes the wing and the rear trunk is fugly. Other stuff is sweet.
I must just be getting old at 33.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #229
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Just you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #230
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
MPE = 6k
Hood/Roof/Trunk = 5k
Wheel PKG = 4k
Brake = 4k
Damper = 2k
Other carbon bits = 3k
Labor = 3~6k
That's a 27~30k upgrade, assuming mildly loaded M2c = 63k. For 90+k, you get a better looking and 70lbs lighter 410bhp M2C.

For the same money, would that still 3500+lbs M2 be comparable to 991.2 base in terms of anything?
Good point! If it's approaching 90k USD before taxes, I would rather buy a used Cayman GT4 which is 500lbs lighter and insanely more capable.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #231
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Did you ask a specific question about the carbon roof?
No f'n way BMW will have their dealers retrofitting carbon roofs.
As many, I'd like to know what BMW has in mind for the CF roof labor (invasive operation). Hard to believe that the buyer would be left to his own devices, but not unlikely.

Example (time lapse to get you an idea):

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
An OEM retrofitted roof??? What?!??? How does that work outside of initial factory build?
Is the M2C's roof bolted on vs traditional glue/weld?
Judging by the official M2 Competition MPP pics, it's a full replacement CF roof, no overlay CF roof.

In the past a forum fellow wan888 posted pictures of an overlay CF roof on a 1M (see here): but it generates extra weight on the roof + thickness:

And forum fellow Powerbeast replaced his 1M roof for his Dakar Yellow 1M build project (see here and here), but I believe to remember that the building process was more complicated than initially planned:

05-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #232
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
Wow this looks epic.

Although I wonder who would pay for all these options when you could probably end up just buying an M4 competition for the same price?
You have that backwards. The question is who would buy the F82 when this is available?

And when you find that out let me know so I never have to waste my time talking to them!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #233
MR_M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT, 2022 X7 M50i

Garage List
BMW M2  [0.00]
BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab_m2 View Post
Wow this looks epic.

Although I wonder who would pay for all these options when you could probably end up just buying an M4 competition for the same price?
You have that backwards. The question is who would buy the F82 when this is available?

And when you find that out let me know so I never have to waste my time talking to them!
Umm, people who their bottoms to be touched by nothing but nappa leather?
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      05-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #234
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

I wouldn't be surprised if the hood and trunk are pre-painted from the factory. In the prress release it specifically says "partially exposed carbon fiber" which leads me to believe this. This would allow these parts to be installed at the port or dealer while still keeping quality control in check. The roof, I have no idea. It can't be an overlay since they advertised a weight savings. Possible, as a previous poster said, they could have made the roof modular for the competition model. If this is a "factory option" wouldn't it just show up on the option list instead? Now that everyone has jizzed on themselves get ready for the price shock. These parts will be VERY expensive, but nice to have the option even for OG M2 owners as everything but the front lip and grill (which I hate) will fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #235
Motorsport_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Are the Mperf Break better as the Break sport option available on the M2 compétition ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #236
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Ok, I didn’t expect this. Having many options is a good thing. Nobody is forced to add on stuff they don’t need. But the people who do want to go all out with M Performance parts...can finally do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #237
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
This will be hard with the carbon roof. Seems like something that would need to be fiited at factory. A lot of work to de-skin a roof and install a carbon roof. Extra labor that doesn't need to happen.
The majority of M3/M4's I see, have carbon roofs. Rarely do I see a sunroof. I say make it standard factory. Bump the price, sunroof becomes Priority 1 no cost option with a production delay.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #238
Motorsport_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Why not? All that changed was the grille and front bumper cover. Rest is just basic M2. The new exhaust tips are angled so that may be a consideration for the diffuser but that's it.

UNLESS that is the M2C has a different way that the roof is mounted such that you could easily port install one of these CF roofs.
There is already an Mperf exhaust available on the current Mperf. The suspension are the same also ? Or also better onces as the actual Mperf suspension available on the current M2 ? I guess the new one (if différent) will also fit to the current one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #239
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
M2C is 50kg heavier that the base M2... my guess is that many of these parts where developed by the now disbanded M2CSL project; this could be one way to recoup some of their R&D costs.

I would be very interested in the CF bonnet, roof and boot lid as retro fits to my base M2.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      05-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #240
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMTWO View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the hood and trunk are pre-painted from the factory. In the prress release it specifically says "partially exposed carbon fiber" which leads me to believe this. This would allow these parts to be installed at the port or dealer while still keeping quality control in check. The roof, I have no idea. It can't be an overlay since they advertised a weight savings. Possible, as a previous poster said, they could have made the roof modular for the competition model. If this is a "factory option" wouldn't it just show up on the option list instead? Now that everyone has jizzed on themselves get ready for the price shock. These parts will be VERY expensive, but nice to have the option even for OG M2 owners as everything but the front lip and grill (which I hate) will fit.
M Performance parts are not factory parts. I'm not sure I trust dealership employees or even the guys at the port to install the roof.

Am I the only one that hates this BMW in-house-aftermarket shit? If BMW wants to offer them, they should just make them real factory parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #241
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
M2C is 50kg heavier that the base M2... my guess is that many of these parts where developed by the now disbanded M2CSL project; this could be one way to recoup some of their R&D costs.

I would be very interested in the CF bonnet, roof and boot lid as retro fits to my base M2.
As far as I can tell, M performance parts are developed by a completely different team and possibly even outsourced.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #242
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
All the parts I'm interested in will be available after 11/2018. If I order the car before that, I'll pretty much be screwed assuming these CF parts will be installed either at the factory or at the port. I guess this means more waiting for me....
Patience will be rewarded