BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Detachment of CF splitter on highway

Closed Thread

04-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
JLlRacing
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2competition

Detachment of CF splitter on highway

Well, on the highway, without having received any blow, I broke the diffuser.
I mentioned it to the dealer who had assembled it.
They told me that since I had it assembled it was as BMW indicates that it has to be done, all lies.
They did not let me see BMW's instructions for that piece, luckily I already have them.
They did not put the liquid glue, as indicated by BMW.
Everything has been problems on the part of the dealer.
By not putting the liquid glue, the two central plastic rivets came out, by the pressure of the wind, and once outside, and as the piece is not flexible, it broke, as seen in the photos.
I'm waiting for Monday, with the official document to install the piece, to kick them in the mouth.
Apart from splitting the piece, when bending down, and by the force of the wind, the lateral wings were stuck to the bumper, getting to remove the paint with friction.

Name:  IMG_20190420_230001.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  230.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190420_225942.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20190420_230242.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  248.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20181030_001709_287.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  147.1 KB

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-21-2019 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that.
'15 Subaru BRZ (Sold)
'12 Camaro (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLlRacing View Post
I'm waiting for Monday, with the official document to install the piece, to kick them in the mouth.
That really stinks, that dealer is incompetent. As far as kicking them in the mouth: ass first, followed by balls, then mouth, much more effective this way.
Good luck with the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

How is the dealer responsible?

The splitter is still fully attached to the vehicle, just broken.

Even if they installed it with Playdough, the splitter is not hanging and the fact is it's damaged due to a physical impact or any obvious installation error. :
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Even if they installed it with Playdough, the splitter is not hanging and the fact is it's damaged due to a physical impact or any obvious installation error. :
I think he's saying the downforce from highway speeds broke the diffuser because the dealer didn't use the betalink adhesive that the installation instructions call for.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:

I think he's saying the downforce from highway speeds broke the diffuser because the dealer didn't use the betalink adhesive that the installation instructions call for.
I kind of get that but correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the splitter attach by bolts, not adhesive?

I just doubled-check; there is no part of the F87 MP splitter that calls for adhesive, only the F22 does..

Also, like I said, the center section that's broken it's still fully attached to vehicle, betalink withstanding or not, it's reinforced by bolts and clips.

I know, this photo below is not the MP version, just shown to illustrate how it attaches to the vehicle:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
I kind of get that but correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the splitter attach by bolts, not adhesive?

I just doubled-check; there is no part of the F87 MP splitter that calls for adhesive, only the F22 does..

I know, this photo below is not the MP version, just shown to illustrate how it attaches to the vehicle:
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...LL%20INSTR.pdf

And yes, you are absolutely wrong. Are you my dealer???

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-20-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Kankles1484.50
      04-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The spitter is still attached to the vehicle, just broken. It's attached to the center of the bumper with some tapping screws/bolts, how is this an installation error?

I'm all for ragging on the dealer when warranted but logic dictates that you hit something and broken the splitter.

Left & right side fully attached by bolts, no hanging, no adhesive required. The dead-center is physically damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
The spitter is still attached to the vehicle, just broken. It's attached to the center of the bumper with some tapping screws/bolts, how is this an installation error?

I'm all for ragging on the dealer when warranted but logic dictates that you hit something and broken the splitter.

Left & right side fully attached by bolts, no hanging, no adhesive required. The dead-center is physically damage.
And no, it is completely fallen in the center, it is broken by my explanation given above, that you have not understood.
The force of the wind caused the plastic rivets to give way, was released by the center and continued supported by the sides, it did not have the central support and it was not a flexible piece, it was divided, which is what is broken, because the force of the wind continued to strengthen.
But, come on, it really is not that I want to enter into discussion with you, more than anything is to warn you to make sure the installation is correct, to ensure that your pieces are well assembled and that what happened to me does not happen to anyone else
Show that you know absolutely nothing about aerodynamics.
Same as the distributor manager.
I am a helicopter pilot, I have absolute certainty of what I say.

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-20-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It shows that you know absolutely nothing about aerodynamics.
Same as the dealer's manager.
I, being a helicopter pilot, have the absolute certainty of what I say.
And Jesus was a carpenter, what's your point?

I don't need a degree in aerodynamics to see you obviously broke the splitter and is trying to pass the buck on to the dealer.

Good luck trying to get the dealer to buy your story.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
And Jesus was a carpenter, what's your point?

I don't need a degree in aerodynamics to see you obviously broke the spoiler and is trying to pass the buck on to the dealer.

Good luck trying to get the dealer to buy your story.
OK, I congratulate you for being an ignorant

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-20-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      04-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Quote:

And yes, you are absolutely wrong. Are you my dealer???
Good to know mine didnt come with instructions i just reused stock bolts. Have roll of double sided trim adhesive wonder if the added thickness will mess with the fit
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
Good to know mine didnt come with instructions i just reused stock bolts. Have roll of double sided trim adhesive wonder if the added thickness will mess with the fit
The installation talks about liquid glue
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
Kuervers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS,6sp 16 X5 35i

Quote:
The installation talks about liquid glue
Ya not sure if i interested in gluing it on. i get the center but why would if need it on the ends with 3 screws and a rivet
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
Ya not sure if i interested in gluing it on. i get the center but why would if need it on the ends with 3 screws and a rivet
It is not just an aesthetic piece, it has its aerodynamic function. It makes "a few" Newtons of downforce.

more speed = more downforce.

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-21-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Eh. While I agree they should have used beta link to attach it, it shouldn't have broke that way from downforce alone. If that is in fact what happened, I'd say it was a manufacturing defect on the part itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Eh. While I agree they should have used beta link to attach it, it shouldn't have broke that way from downforce alone. If that is in fact what happened, I'd say it was a manufacturing defect on the part itself.
I see it very clearly ...
By not being stuck, the central plastic rivets came out, in only place where there is downward force, the sides were in place, the force of the wind made it bend even further down, it is not a flexible piece, and broke symmetrically, which is what you see in the photo.
The piece of carbon fiber has no defect, the error is not having stuck to the bumper as indicated by the BMW assembly procedure.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I agree with @Poochie here, looks like you actually hit something on the FWY.

That adhesive probably sucks as a stand-alone product and most of the force is at the bolt locations anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
The piece of carbon fiber has no defect, the error is not having stuck to the bumper as indicated by the BMW assembly procedure.

You ran that carbon piece through an X-ray and you're a composites engineer? My bad I missed that part
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #20
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I agree with @Poochie here, looks like you actually hit something on the FWY.

That adhesive probably sucks as a stand-alone product and most of the force is at the bolt locations anyways.
Comment, I do not come here seeking the approval of anyone, nor do I want to convince anyone of what has happened. I know perfectly well what happened, and that's how I've told it.
It was simply to tell what had happened to me, so that if someone happens to him the same thing he knows the reason and they make sure of the correct installation or the piece.
Comment that happened to me at a speed of 280km/h, the limited maximum speed of the M2 competition in Europe and, on a windy day, it is possible that the piece without glue reaches a speed of more than 300km/h. , which would be the speed of the car plus the speed of the wind against.
What I see here is a lot of ignorance and, as usual, ignorance makes it very brave saying what you think you know.
I have already said clearly what happened, whoever the same thing happens to him, he already knows what to do to break it, and who does not want to break the diffuser, also knows what he has to do
Greetings to all.

Last edited by JLlRacing; 04-21-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #21
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
You're assuming it was downforce alone.. And everyone here is telling you (including the dealership) that downforce alone should not cause a break like that. It would required an extreme amount of downward force to cause that. The m2 isn't a Lamborghini, Ferrari, high-end porsche, or anything like that. It doesn't generate such an extremely amount of downforce in the front to snap a piece of carbon fiber in half like you're describing.

As I mentioned, I'm not doubting your recollection of the events, but I believe it's more likely a structural defect on the product itself. You're not qualified to make that determination, particularly post mortum.

If you post someone on a public forum, expect others to comment. If you don't like it, don't comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #22
JLlRacing
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
You're assuming it was downforce alone.. And everyone here is telling you (including the dealership) that downforce alone should not cause a break like that. It would required an extreme amount of downward force to cause that. The m2 isn't a Lamborghini, Ferrari, high-end porsche, or anything like that. It doesn't generate such an extremely amount of downforce in the front to snap a piece of carbon fiber in half like you're describing.

As I mentioned, I'm not doubting your recollection of the events, but I believe it's more likely a structural defect on the product itself. You're not qualified to make that determination, particularly post mortum.

If you post someone on a public forum, expect others to comment. If you don't like it, don't comment.
I have added one more photo to the initial post, where it is clear that the diffuser has fallen, when breaking the two central plastic rivets (exclusively by the force of the wind) perhaps now it will be clearer what happened.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread