BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dyno plots of each mod: Exhaust only to FBO + BM3

05-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #45
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
just pump gas from shell or 76. except for the dyno session where we put torco in due to temp, everything was straight pump 91 gas.
I'd love to not have to use Race Gas / E85 / Octane Booster as well, I just hoped it would help with the timing being all over the place, and it hasn't!

What changed from you first logs to the most recent ones? Is the 17.22 peak boost map a custom map? The current OTS maps do not target that high a boost, and as I said, timing is all over the place.

I'm prepared to believe that your last two logs were flukes with great timing, if that really is the case, but I'd love to have a log like you posted (with the exception of the HPFP dump!

What map / fuel are you running these days?

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #46
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I'd love to not have to use Race Gas / E85 / Octane Booster as well, I just hoped it would help with the timing being all over the place, and it hasn't!

What changed from you first logs to the most recent ones? Is the 17.22 peak boost map a custom map? The current OTS maps do not target that high a boost, and as I said, timing is all over the place.

I'm prepared to believe that your last two logs were flukes with great timing, if that really is the case, but I'd love to have a log like you posted (with the exception of the HPFP dump!

What map / fuel are you running these days?
oh, yeah - i forgot that PTF sent me a tweaked stage2 tune that had higher boost to test out. but that tune was trash at the track as the car wouldn't rev over 6k, then it put me in limp mode after 3 laps. i'm running the regular ots stage 2 tune now until i do something w/ the fueling (or upgrade to M2C). at the track, i still throw in octane boost or 100 octane just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #47
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Best thing is to run E85 from the pump, for track days throw some Boostane (its dyno proven and the Hellcat / GTR guys i've seen on youtube) do 5gals of 93 + 16oz of Boostane to make 99oct.

RaceGas Map is for those in Europe who can get 102 ARAL from their pump
Higher Octane will always prevent timing from dropping and avoid knocks

91octane can sometime have its bad batch and actually be 89-90.
93octane can also and some places have bad quality and its more 92 than 93.

Our pump gas suppose to have up to 10% of Ethanol already which is good, running E15 would not hurt.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #48
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
oh, yeah - i forgot that PTF sent me a tweaked stage2 tune that had higher boost to test out. but that tune was trash at the track as the car wouldn't rev over 6k, then it put me in limp mode after 3 laps. i'm running the regular ots stage 2 tune now until i do something w/ the fueling (or upgrade to M2C). at the track, i still throw in octane boost or 100 octane just to be on the safe side.
OK, that makes sense. I did see that your logs had issues in higher gears with that tune, and you mentioned that at the dyno it gave you 400whp, but crashed up high.

Do you have any logs of your most recent tune, ideally both with and without octane boost or 100 octane Race Gas. I'd like to see if you're still getting the timing spread you were before and if octane helps that.

If it is all in the tune, I get the sense that PTF might be able to make a hybrid of the current OTS tune and the high boost one that fixed timing to get the best of both...

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #49
Nezil
Major
Rep

FSociety, thanks for jumping in on this; I know you have a lot of experience reading logs etc.

My issue is that I've already increased my octane to 93.25 with a 3:1 100 Octane Race Gas blend, and I'm still getting timing pull and some, though reduced a lot, knock, on the 91 Octane Stage 2 OTS build.

I'm not running the 93 Octane Stage 2 OTS yet, but I'd like to if I can find a fuel blend that will allow it.

Right now, all I want is a map that doesn't give timing pull, and I'm not able to find that in the OTS maps at all. UltraMagneticAL seemed to have that with his increased boost map, even though it introduced other issues, and he was running straight pump gas!

I've not even thought of the Race Gas map, I'm not planning to run only Race Gas, so that's not important to me.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #50
Nezil
Major
Rep

To be clear, what what I'd ideally like to have is one map that reliably (i.e. no timing pull under normal conditions) works for straight CA 91 pump gas, and another map that I can switch to if I choose to mix in Race Gas to increase my octane.

Right now, the 91 Octane OTS map is resulting in timing pull for me, even with a race gas blend!

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #51
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
OK, that makes sense. I did see that your logs had issues in higher gears with that tune, and you mentioned that at the dyno it gave you 400whp, but crashed up high.

Do you have any logs of your most recent tune, ideally both with and without octane boost or 100 octane Race Gas. I'd like to see if you're still getting the timing spread you were before and if octane helps that.

If it is all in the tune, I get the sense that PTF might be able to make a hybrid of the current OTS tune and the high boost one that fixed timing to get the best of both...
i'll try to pull logs, but i don't really drive it around except at the track. work has been super busy...plus wife is 7 months preggo, so its a little tough. i may be able to get a pull on wednesday tho. i have to use a laptop cuz i didn't buy the OBD agent lol

proTUNING Freaks do you guys wanna send me the OBD agent for free to help log your tunes on track? lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #52
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
i'll try to pull logs, but i don't really drive it around except at the track. work has been super busy...plus wife is 7 months preggo, so its a little tough. i may be able to get a pull on wednesday tho. i have to use a laptop cuz i didn't buy the OBD agent lol
I have two boys, aged 6 and 4, so I totally sympathise with the lack of time. It's going to get worse for a few years before it gets better unfortunately!

Quote:
proTUNING Freaks do you guys wanna send me the OBD agent for free to help log your tunes on track? lol
I'm tempted to lend you an OBD Agent myself... It's only a Raspberry Pi 3B in a case, so the cost in parts is only $52.52 if you buy the parts from Amazon today.

Appreciate 0