BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Getting quiter

11-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

M Performance Exhaust Getting quiter

I have a 18 M2 with DCT and the optional M performance exhaust. It works fine, flaps open and stay open, however it is quieter now after a year, and I expected the opposite it would get louder over time. Any suggestions to make it louder without a decat or voiding the warranty? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

My suggestion would be a Fabspeed catted down pipe. Direct message Mike (vendor on this site) at x-ph.com for a great price and availability. Since you're concerned with retaining your factory warranty, you may want to consider the time necessary to swap back to the stock catalytic converter for any service you have done to your vehicle. That of course depends on your dealership/SA and tech. They may not even notice it's installed unless you have an issue with the vehicle and they look closer.

Are you sure it's quieter or have you just acclimated to the overall sound over time ? The sound is pretty subdued even with the valves open which is why we opted for the Fabspeed.

--Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM2018 View Post
I have a 18 M2 with DCT and the optional M performance exhaust. It works fine, flaps open and stay open, however it is quieter now after a year, and I expected the opposite it would get louder over time. Any suggestions to make it louder without a decat or voiding the warranty? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
ND4SPD_M2
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 (6MT)

I have had my M2 with an MPE for about a year and no change in sound. I did get accustomed to it though, and whenever I need a little extra acoustics, I just press the "Traction" off button once when in Comfort mode and the burbles are much, much louder- does the trick for me
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      11-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
My suggestion would be a Fabspeed catted down pipe. Direct message Mike (vendor on this site) at x-ph.com for a great price and availability. Since you're concerned with retaining your factory warranty, you may want to consider the time necessary to swap back to the stock catalytic converter for any service you have done to your vehicle. That of course depends on your dealership/SA and tech. They may not even notice it's installed unless you have an issue with the vehicle and they look closer.

Are you sure it's quieter or have you just acclimated to the overall sound over time ? The sound is pretty subdued even with the valves open which is why we opted for the Fabspeed.

--Monika

Quote:
Thanks. But my dealer is ridiculous about aftermarket stuff. I added a cold air intake and after last service, the rep talked to me about and how it was bad for the car as not a factory part etc. even added it to the paperwork... Would love to get a downpipe even catted but I am sure my dealer would lose there mind...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD_M2 View Post
I have had my M2 with an MPE for about a year and no change in sound. I did get accustomed to it though, and whenever I need a little extra acoustics, I just press the "Traction" off button once when in Comfort mode and the burbles are much, much louder- does the trick for me
Interesting I will try that. So traction off in confort mode or Sport+ ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
ND4SPD_M2
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 (6MT)

Quote:
Interesting I will try that. So traction off in confort mode or Sport+ ?
It should work in either mode really. By pressing the "traction" button once quickly engages the "traction" mode on the car and with the exhaust flaps open, the sound on the burbles and pops is much more pronounced.

If you find yourself in an enclosed garage, get into 1st and lift off quickly at just under 3k rpm without shifting into 2nd. It can get pretty loud I must admit.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #7
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

This approach of intimidation and prepping BMW (by noting in within their system) to deny a future warranty claim is. Well. I'll leave it to your imagination how this sentence ends.

So hoping the hidden traction feature (totally forgot about that one) helps out. Kudos 'ND4SPD_M2'...

Have a great one ..

Quote:
Thanks. But my dealer is ridiculous about aftermarket stuff. I added a cold air intake and after last service, the rep talked to me about and how it was bad for the car as not a factory part etc. even added it to the paperwork... Would love to get a downpipe even catted but I am sure my dealer would lose there mind...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This approach of intimidation and prepping BMW (by noting in within their system) to deny a future warranty claim is. Well. I'll leave it to your imagination how this sentence ends.

So hoping the hidden traction feature (totally forgot about that one) helps out. Kudos 'ND4SPD_M2'...

Have a great one ..

Quote:
I tried the traction off and it does help, thanks. Hoping to just get it louder...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:

Have a great one ..
If you have a local BMW club, talk to the members or post on their facebook group and see which dealer/SA they use. I've found most big cities will have someone "friendly"

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
If you have a local BMW club, talk to the members or post on their facebook group and see which dealer/SA they use. I've found most big cities will have someone "friendly"
Yes, I second this. Find a mod friendly dealer and have fun! This dealer documenting that you have an intake is pretty.....well...petty, to put it lightly.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
StackedM2C
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

mine was consistently about the same
i didn't have it for very long though
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0o...R6EYk-oIdduslA
04 330CI / 18 440I MPE / 18 M2 N55 / 02 M3 / 20 M2C
Appreciate 0