BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M6 vs DCT. What should I go with?

05-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Both are for driving. You're hilarious. Gerber baby MT or flappy paddles
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      05-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
Both are for driving.
So is a Toyota Camry. Might be better for this traffic everyone complains about needing their DCT for. But really when I say "driving" I mean "driving for the sake of driving". Like just go out with no objective but to enjoy the car. And it's just a personal observation as traffic and commuting always gets dragged into the DCT argument. It's probably the only one that ever outlasts in threads.
      05-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #25
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
To state that someone you've never met will inevitably have the same opinions as yours is kind of arrogant, doncha think? Funny how I've put 9000 miles on mine in just over a year, and I still almost never use automatic mode. And I'm still waiting to get bored. I drove nothing but manuals for almost 40 years. My race car still has a manual. I like the DCT. By objective measures (e.g. performance, gas mileage) it works better, and popping up and down through the gears with it still makes me giggle.

These are not lithe sports cars like Miatas or even E30s. These are state-of-the-art, turbo charged, e-diff equipped, 3400 lb cars, with kind of numb electric steering. If you want pretend it's something other than that, and get the manual to satisfy some atavistic sports-car-purity fetish, go ahead. And try to ignore the irony of defending a manual which does the most difficult task (rev matching) for you. But I think the DCT is right in tune with the modern, high-tech theme of the M2. You don't agree, but as The Dude says, that's like, just your opinion, man. Others differ from you (hunt down the February Roundel and read the "Safety Third" column - the guy Alex interviews happens to be our chief instructor, and a seriously good driver).

Oh yeah, if you don't shuffle steer, the paddle mounted shifters are placed perfectly. If you get flummoxed, you can always hit the stick instead.

So, to the original poster, it's entirely up to you, and it's not an easy choice. If I had to do it again, I'd still get the DCT. I can understand getting the manual, 'cause shifting can be fun, but don't feel pressured because some self-appointed sports-car fundamentalists aggrandize themselves 'cause they mastered a skill that pretty much everyone used to take for granted.

Yes, that was arrogant of me, and the OP should buy whatever suits his needs. I just can't hide my enthusiasm for the manual tranny in this car, it all makes sense to me. And yes, I do believe it is purer and still think paddle shifting is boring, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #26
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Sorry, but I look at this in a very philosophical way. What else can we dumb down in today's society as we get force fed the simpler method on just about everything. Yes the auto blipping helps, but it still takes more skill than driving the auto. We have become lazier and lazier and so many skills are no longer needed because something or someone does it for us. Where have all the tactile nuances gone.....would you rather sit down and turn the pages of a book when reading a fine piece of literature or sit in front of a monitor? Why does everything have to be faster and more convenient? People get into trouble today and the first thing they do is pick up their cell phone. Have you ever run out of gas and been stuck somewhere and had to walk, or even knock on someone's door for help. All these small minute experiences are gone. You aren't even allowed to change your own tire any longer if you get a flat. The list goes on and on as we march supposedly forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:48 AM   #27
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I hate to say it but I think it is like tires for your car - until you live with them for a few weeks/months, it is hard to know if you really like it or not (and by that time, too late to change your mind!)

I think the OP was looking for true manual type people who went with DCT and what they thought (and I only saw a few people post that were in the category (might have been only one).

I love having a manual trans car again (vs the 8 speed auto in my previous car) but truth is, I've never had a DCT and so I have no clue if I would like it or hate it (I have my theories of course ).

Anyway OP, you have a very short time frame to decide. On the plus side, if you make a mistake, the car is pretty easy to get rid of
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #28
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I recently drove a DCT M2. Utterly lifeless. I cannot understand why anyone would pick this over the increasingly rare manual option unless you don't know how to drive it. I will gladly give my left foot a workout in traffic for the reward of having the right transmission for this car.

DCT just isn't sporty. It's really competent but not particualrly fun. Although when I say competent I have to confess the ZF 8sp in recent iterations is 90% as good in most situations. Unless you're using launch control which requires you to jump through hoops, launches are uninteresting and laggy. The auto mode is weirdly unintuitive and unexciting on downshifts unless you intervene with the paddles. Which are mounted to the steering wheel which is also kind of ridiculous.

Don't do it. Besides the market is flooded with them.
Yeah ok.

OP the DCT is fantastic if you drive in mostly manual and only use auto function for slow traffic. Everyone is different in what they like but comments like these are a little over the top.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #29
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Ever car I've owned since 1981 including a 2000/2006/2012 3-series has been a manual because I like shifting. If you can, try to test both to make an informed decision assuming cost isn't a factor. If you really don't like manually shifting sometimes, maybe you should consider the DCT. The M2 manual is really nice. When i switch to the 3-series on rainy days it's somewhat of a let down as the shifting is bit notchier and I miss the auto-blip rev matching and exhaust 'burble' in Sport mode. Bottom line, to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #30
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

So preferring an MT for involvement is "atavistic" and "fetishistic" now, is it? Good to know.

I have always been an MT guy, on my daily, but tried the DCT because it was supposed to be so great. It is an efficient, quick shifter. But a very different driving experience from an MT.

I have paddles on my wife's Jag that are pretty good. Had to remind myself to use them after a couple of months.

Stuck with the MT on the M2, installed a UCP and a UUC short shifter, and never looked back. It's a vanishing breed, and I wanted at least one more before it goes extinct.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #31
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
The car I just got out of was a DCT 335is. Not a bad thing to say about it. It was brilliant. It was also my first "auto" car. My M2 which will be here in a few weeks will be a MT. As good as it was it's just not as fun. Just my opinion.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #32
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

When I was shopping for my E46 M3, I was looking for a manual but found the perfect car with an SMG. It REALLY grew on me. So much so that when I ordered my M2, DCT was the only option that I got. Just got the car Friday, and it's amazing. I can drive a manual fine (years of tracking my 911). I just love the technology and the speed.

People will have this mets/Yankees argument all day (as you've read) but you notice that no one will argue about which one is faster.

So as others have said, personal preference. Hoping my perspective as a hesitant SMG buyer and quick convert will help.

End of the day, you can't go wrong. It'll me an M2, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

FWIW since I only drive a 435 w/ auto but I had a manual car for many years before getting a GTI with DSG. It was nice for awhile but pretty much stopped using the paddles and drove it like a regular auto 99% of the time. The current 8spd ZF is almost as good as a dual clutch I feel. Test drove a M4 with DCT and honestly it felt like regular auto tranny around town. Then test drove a M3 with 6spd and immediately was in love with the car. Manual is just so much more engaging to drive regardless of the car.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
SoCalRob281.00
      05-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadz View Post
Sorry, but I look at this in a very philosophical way. What else can we dumb down in today's society as we get force fed the simpler method on just about everything. Yes the auto blipping helps, but it still takes more skill than driving the auto. We have become lazier and lazier and so many skills are no longer needed because something or someone does it for us. Where have all the tactile nuances gone.....would you rather sit down and turn the pages of a book when reading a fine piece of literature or sit in front of a monitor? Why does everything have to be faster and more convenient? People get into trouble today and the first thing they do is pick up their cell phone. Have you ever run out of gas and been stuck somewhere and had to walk, or even knock on someone's door for help. All these small minute experiences are gone. You aren't even allowed to change your own tire any longer if you get a flat. The list goes on and on as we march supposedly forward.
It doesn't take any skill. Your mother and father could drive one, their mother and father could also drive one. Everyone used to drive stick. It doesn't make you skilled to do something everyone else had no problems doing day in and day out.

It doesn't take skill to turn pages of a book either, know this while you read my reply on your screen. If you give me your address though I'll print it out and mail it to you so you can open it and read it if you want to exercise your talent opening physical mail and reading paper then throwing it in the trash. Let me know.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #35
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Yes. On the column. Where they make 100% more sense for street cars with non-F1-car steering ratios.

I never really understood this especially from a MT point of view. Do you guys shift while you are in a turn?? That is the #1 no no in MT especially on a track day. While you probably can shift in a turn with DCT, it is not the smartest thing to do as it upsets the balance.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #36
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
I never really understood this especially from a MT point of view. Do you guys shift while you are in a turn?? That is the #1 no no in MT especially on a track day. While you probably can shift in a turn with DCT, it is not the smartest thing to do as it upsets the balance.
Believe it or not, some experienced drivers do shift in turns smoothly and do not upset the balance of the car.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 3
SoCalRob281.00
ewohar21.50
      05-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #37
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
Believe it or not, some experienced drivers do shift in turns smoothly and do not upset the balance of the car.
I'm sure there are always some exceptions. But as smooth as you are, you would never shift in a tight corner. On a long/quick sweeping turn, maybe... and in that case the paddles location is fine as the turning radius is relatively small.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #38
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Once upon a time you buy an M2 M-DCT and you happily drive ever after (though sometimes you might yearn for a 6MT) till your next car.

Once upon a time you buy an M2 6MT and you happily drive ever after (though sometimes you might yearn for an M-DCT) till your next car.

Conclusion for OP: flip a coin. Tails for the M-DCT, heads for the 6MT.
      05-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #39
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This is how I see it. We can talk about preference, feel, engagement... all we want, those are all subjective. The only fact that will come out of these debates is the performance of DCT. For me, I care a lot about performance, that's why I got an M2. If I didn't, I'd probably be driving a Volvo S90. If I wanted to be a "purist", I would've kept my Lotus. Maybe I'm getting old, as much as I miss my toy on the track. Shifting was not one of the reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #40
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
So preferring an MT for involvement is "atavistic" and "fetishistic" now, is it? Good to know.

I have always been an MT guy, on my daily, but tried the DCT because it was supposed to be so great. It is an efficient, quick shifter. But a very different driving experience from an MT.

I have paddles on my wife's Jag that are pretty good. Had to remind myself to use them after a couple of months.

Stuck with the MT on the M2, installed a UCP and a UUC short shifter, and never looked back. It's a vanishing breed, and I wanted at least one more before it goes extinct.

I agree. I don't knock the MT choice because I feel like it's in its final 3 year window before you have to pay a premium for manual (yes, my theory is that it will reverse from today's logic of base MT/pay for DCT or Auto)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #41
DoggieHowser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 Pure F20 125i MSport 2017

Over in Australia, manual is a no cost option for the M2 - DCT is standard.
Appreciate 2
Ian ///M491.00
ZPrime611.50
      05-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #42
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I'm from Europe and there is nothing special about a manual tranny overhere. The only problem worldwide it's near extinction which is a pity. For the rest I have 7,900 reasons to choose the DCT because that's what the Mt costs more overhere in Euros..
Furthermore , try to testdrive both. See which you like best. I adore my DCT, I never thought I would so much, it's great, a serious bit faster and you have one more gear which is nice on the Autobahn.

Cheers
Robin(ex 1M)
Glad to hear you say this (ex 1M owner). I'm in line to get the M2CS and am coming to grips with the likely lack of an MT option. I'm honestly looking forward to experiencing the DCT! (Relevant that I am planning to keep my 1M).
      05-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #43
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Quote:
I recently drove a DCT M2. Utterly lifeless. I cannot understand why anyone would pick this over the increasingly rare manual option unless you don't know how to drive it. I will gladly give my left foot a workout in traffic for the reward of having the right transmission for this car.

DCT just isn't sporty. It's really competent but not particualrly fun. Although when I say competent I have to confess the ZF 8sp in recent iterations is 90% as good in most situations. Unless you're using launch control which requires you to jump through hoops, launches are uninteresting and laggy. The auto mode is weirdly unintuitive and unexciting on downshifts unless you intervene with the paddles. Which are mounted to the steering wheel which is also kind of ridiculous.

Don't do it. Besides the market is flooded with them.
Yeah ok.

OP the DCT is fantastic if you drive in mostly manual and only use auto function for slow traffic. Everyone is different in what they like but comments like these are a little over the top.
Whys that? I guess if this is the first quick car you've ever driven I can sort of understand it. But if torque doesn't impress you to the point of overlooking flaws then you may have my experience or similar.
      05-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #44
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si
Quote:
Yes. On the column. Where they make 100% more sense for street cars with non-F1-car steering ratios.

I'm not worried about car balance when I'm going to work. No seriously. On a 90deg turn from stop I typically shift into 2 nearly right away if it's these tight ratio 7 or 8sp auto. cars. That steering angle plus steering wheel paddles is ridiculous.