BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M240i announced with more torque than the M2!

05-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #45
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If the car had a larger turbo, then I think this would have alleviated virtually any concerns of the car... Personally, I was thoroughly impressed by the m2 until I saw one in real life... the car has very little presence to me and honestly didnt look that much different from an m235i minus wider rear fenders... then combine that w the n55 and the fact that an m240i is now coming out... bmw is really screwing up the marketing of its cars and overall model layout...
Man, that's totally the opposite of how j feel and the reactions I've been getting. People keep saying 'damn, is that the new M3???'

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #46
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

whats up with these comments? Its not like we did not know the 240 is coming out, we knew about it even before we knew what motor was to be thrown in the F87. Now the real bummer would be if BMW announce that its throwing in the B58 in the F87 for 2017.
      05-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #47
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Well, if you thought BMW wasn't making enough M2's, they're now going to probably make less. Not only does it have a now-outdated engine, which wrecks hell on assembly lines, it also has a much closer in nature little brother.

Dealerships will have a much easier time moving people into the M240i as they can in essence say it's comparable performance (same torque, same 0-60 time) but has the added benefit of AWD.

Here's hoping those with MY16 M2's don't get screwed over in case of any major changes coming for MY17, like say a new engine but same HP/TQ figures.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 12:17 AM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist
M2 needed a better turbo.
If the car had a larger turbo, then I think this would have alleviated virtually any concerns of the car... Personally, I was thoroughly impressed by the m2 until I saw one in real life... the car has very little presence to me and honestly didnt look that much different from an m235i minus wider rear fenders... then combine that w the n55 and the fact that an m240i is now coming out... bmw is really screwing up the marketing of its cars and overall model layout...
Yeah they've been screwing up their marketing since the E30 M3 and the E30 325is...
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #49
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Well, if you thought BMW wasn't making enough M2's, they're now going to probably make less. Not only does it have a now-outdated engine, which wrecks hell on assembly lines, it also has a much closer in nature little brother.

Dealerships will have a much easier time moving people into the M240i as they can in essence say it's comparable performance (same torque, same 0-60 time) but has the added benefit of AWD.

Here's hoping those with MY16 M2's don't get screwed over in case of any major changes coming for MY17, like say a new engine but same HP/TQ figures.
This is obviously a well thought out strategy. The release of the M2 caused so much hype around the 2 series, and now with this announcement, looks like BMW did in fact make the M2 a loss leader. The good news is the M2 might end up being somewhat limited, so it'l be rare.
      05-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #50
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
This is obviously a well thought out strategy. The release of the M2 caused so much hype around the 2 series, and now with this announcement, looks like BMW did in fact make the M2 a loss leader. The good news is the M2 might end up being somewhat limited, so it'l be rare.
How would it be limited or do you mean my16?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #51
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

In real life the M2 puts about 369lb/ft/500Nm on the rear wheels.
In real life it's faster @ Hockenheim short than a lot of way more powerful cars.
In real life it has a real limited slip differential and bigger brakes.
In real life it sounds better than 'any' stock BMW I've heard since the M3 CSL.(imho)
In real life it looks better than 'any' stock BMW I've seen since the M3 CSL.(imho)

What exactly do we know about M240i's performance? Only the torque at the crank?

M235i is 3 sec slower @ Hockenheim short than M2....
And the engines are 'almost' the same, so the chassis is something else...

It's not only about torque on paper it's how they/you use it

And B58/N54 are/were midrange pullers, this one you have to rev more. >7000 so to say

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 7
      05-17-2016, 12:49 AM   #52
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488
Quote:
How would it be limited or do you mean my16?
Maybe BMW will decide to run limited allocations through its life cycle, plus Im sure your regular Joe (non-enthusiast) would choose the M240i, since it'l have the B58, xdrive, sunroof, and more
colors. Plus a higher M240i production output means a lower M2 production output since they share the same factory.
      05-17-2016, 12:54 AM   #53
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yeah they've been screwing up their marketing since the E30 M3 and the E30 325is...
This, the M3 E30 came out and my uncle bought an E30 325i. Which I found way more interesting(6 cylinders, more displacement, sound) than that beefed up 4 cylinder they asked twice the money for. But hey I was 16 at that time, what did I know....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #54
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Maybe BMW will decide to run limited allocations through its life cycle, plus Im sure your regular Joe (non-enthusiast) would choose the M240i, since it'l have the B58, xdrive, sunroof, and more
colors. Plus a higher M240i production output means a lower M2 production output since they share the same factory.
I would not be disappointed if they're less. It will be interesting to see. I know I really like my m2 and there will be a lot of people saying not to get one now. But like before when there was all these different things that people complained about. I bought this car because its exactly what I want in a car.
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 01:20 AM   #55
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Agree with the turbo comment. As far as the looks, that is subjective. From afar anyone other than us enthusiasts probably wouldn't tell a difference but I can see it. It's just a major bummer BMW didn't do anything to the turbo. It's kind of ridiculous companies like pure can offer a far superior turbo for $2500. BMW should have incorporated this improvement for say an addition $1K and no one would complain. I honestly don't know what the engineers/ bean counters were thinking on this. Perhaps to give the M3/4 more breathing room or provide a larger gap in performance for the CS? Even with a better turbo there are plenty of amenities left out of the M2 (interior choices/ materials, extensive weight saving, ect) which would trigger many to upgrade to the larger brothers. I guess at the end of the day they know they will sell which is a shame because this sets a precedent for any future M2-like cars BMW produces.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:22 AM   #56
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I don't think engines are "almost" the same. Have you seen 340i's dyno results? That car puts down 320whp (B58 is definitely an underrated engine). On the same dyno, I would say M240i will put down at least as much power as M2 does. However, based on the key M components and driving dynamics, I would still choose the M2.
I was comparing M235i to M2.
Those engines are 'almost' the same, for M2 fanbois unfortunately.

So 240i would have 380/390/400 crank hp irl(EU)?

Everything is possible these days...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #57
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I was comparing M235i to M2.
Those engines are 'almost' the same, for M2 fanbois unfortunately.

So 240i would have 380/390/400 crank hp irl(EU)?

Everything is possible these days...

Cheers
Robin
Sorry, I noticed what you meant a little late and deleted my comment. I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #58
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488
Quote:
I would not be disappointed if they're less. It will be interesting to see. I know I really like my m2 and there will be a lot of people saying not to get one now. But like before when there was all these different things that people complained about. I bought this car because its exactly what I want in a car.
I think its a great thing if M240i cannibalizes the M2. More unique cars for us M2 owners
      05-17-2016, 01:35 AM   #59
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Sorry, I noticed what you meant a little late and deleted my comment. I agree with you.
Ha, well , M240i and M140i are coming here in EU. They have an advertised 340(DIN/EU) HP. M2 has an advertised 370 (DIN/EU)HP.

That's a 30HP crank difference on paper. Since both B58 and N55 in M2 are underrated there will always be the '30HP' difference am I wrong?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #60
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

A Pure Stage 2, or even a Dinan kit for masochists, is going to fix all this, if anything needs to be fixed at all. Personally, give me a small car with good brakes, good suspension and a good engine that can be modded for 50-75 ft lbs more, as opposed to a bigger X drive sedan that will need extensive work on all its "systems" to hang with its little brother when the helmets go on, or even just in the twisties.

I've driven a M235, and an M2. Just adding more torque to the former won't give me what I want, of this I am sure. Adding torque to the latter is a much more interesting proposition, but first, I need the car, to tweak if and when I want to. Still want it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #61
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
Guys, it has nothing to do with the fact that the M2 isn't meant for straight line speed. We all know very well that the M2 is more desirable, looks much better and handles much better than a M240i but don't you think it's kinda stupid to have a newer improved engine with just as much torque without the need of overboost into a cheaper model in the range while the top of the line model keeps the older out dated engine? I hope the M2 facelift gets the B58 if not then I expect a power bump.
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #62
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't see the reason for this amount of "trolling", as it was expected long before that they need to keep up with Golf/S3 range so this power upgrade was expected.

For many of you that got M2 by now, you should know very well that M2 is properly built track day, that after 30-40 minutes of hard session it wont overheat like M235i or M3/M4 which is know that it starts to lose power after just 10-15 minutes.

That's why it looks so mean with a good reason and that's why it has those extra coolers at the bottom which M235-240 wont ever have. Not to mention the suspension the rev-matching transmission and etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:15 AM   #63
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

The N55 was needed for the M2 because it shared components from the S55. This was probably unlikely if they had of chosen the B58.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #64
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
I hope the engine in the M2 has a better throttle responsive and less turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:28 AM   #65
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
Guys, please calm down on this. Please drive the M235i (M240i) and let me know your thoughts. The chassis and handling is another stratosphere in the M2. BMW M cars were never about a high amount of torque or hp. It was always about the driving dynamics and the chassis/balance. That is what makes them so special. Both, the Merc AMG and Audi RS cars always have an advantage in hp (and torque as long as we talk about the AMG), but they are not faster as long as we talk about "track-ability". Visit the Nurburgring and see for yourself why most of the guys chose to drive there with a BMW M car - because they are simply fantastic when it comes to high speed in corners and the sheer fun you can have with the car. To argue that the M240i with xDrive is faster, is just stupid (by the way - who wants to have a M car with xDrive?). Drive both back to back on a alpine road or on a racetrack and see for yourself.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 3
      05-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #66
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Except for kg/lbs, the base M2 has just as many hp and Nm as required.