BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. 718 Cayman

05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #67
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Hoyasaxa,

Just my 2 cents..
I personally wouldn't configure Lane Change Assist or Heated steering wheel. That would knock off over $1K.

2 way seats for me would be ok as well... and they are either no charge or couple hundred for the sport 2 ways. But seats are a very personal decision, so that really is your call. However, on a GT4, if you got the coveted carbon bucket seats ($4700 option), you only get height adjustment...so basically 1 way seats! (with steering wheel adjust as well).

The Premium Pkg is not a bad choice, but if you did go 2 way seats, and did forgo the Premium Pkg, you would save about $3700. You could still add 2 way climate control and heated seats a la carte.

The reason I bring this up is that if I am configuring a Cayman, the Performance options are the ones I think about first. So for the approximate $5,000 (or so) you save from above, I would rather use that money towards one or two of the following: sports chrono, PTV, PASM, exhaust, or even bigger wheels.

-PTV will give you limited slip.
-Bigger wheels really change the look of the car
-Exhaust will really change the sound of the turbo 4 to be more throaty I assume
-Sports Chrono adds dynamic transmission mounts and sportier settings, etc
-PASM lowers ride height and gives you choices on suspension settings

Even if you just did say, PASM and bigger wheels, your car will look a lot more aggressive. So things like that I consider if configuring a Cayman... Focus a little less on the comfort stuff and focus little more on the performance aspects... since the Cayman is a straight up sports car.

And I think with the new turbo 4s, even the base Cayman is going to be pretty quick. It is a considerably lighter car vs the M2 after all.

Both great cars... can't go wrong with either. But test drive that 718 Cayman first of course when it hits the dealers and see what you think of its straight line acceleration. I am curious myself. I personally love Caymans, so will always be following in interest.

And Cayman owners tend to be a different breed... they scoff and smile contemptuously at other drivers who try to red light or freeway race them. In the back of their minds they know they have the superior driver's car. Made on a true sport car chassis. While everyone else is driving a car made for the street first, and track second.

And even if you don't track the car, it is a nice feeling to know that you can barely touch a Cayman's limits on regular roads. My brother came back from the Porsche Experience in ATL and was thrilled with what Caymans can really do.

Last edited by csbear; 05-10-2016 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #68
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: soon 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Hoyasaxa,

Just my 2 cents..
I personally wouldn't configure Lane Change Assist or Heated steering wheel. That would knock off over $1K.

2 way seats for me would be ok as well... and they are either no charge or couple hundred for the sport 2 ways. But seats are a very personal decision, so that really is your call. However, on a GT4, if you got the coveted carbon bucket seats ($4700 option), you only get height adjustment...so basically 1 way seats! (with steering wheel adjust as well).

The Premium Pkg is not a bad choice, but if you did go 2 way seats, and did forgo the Premium Pkg, you would save about $3700. You could still add 2 way climate control and heated seats a la carte.

The reason I bring this up is that if I am configuring a Cayman, the Performance options are the ones I think about first. So for the approximate $5,000 (or so) you save from above, I would rather use that money towards one or two of the following: sports chrono, PTV, PASM, exhaust, or even bigger wheels.

-PTV will give you limited slip.
-Bigger wheels really change the look of the car
-Exhaust will really change the sound of the turbo 4 to be more throaty I assume
-Sports Chrono adds dynamic transmission mounts and sportier settings, etc
-PASM lowers ride height and gives you choices on suspension settings

Even if you just did say, PASM and bigger wheels, your car will look a lot more aggressive. So things like that I consider if configuring a Cayman... Focus a little less on the comfort stuff and focus little more on the performance aspects... since the Cayman is a straight up sports car.

And I think with the new turbo 4s, even the base Cayman is going to be pretty quick. It is a considerably lighter car vs the M2 after all.

Both great cars... can't go wrong with either. But test drive that 718 Cayman first of course when it hits the dealers and see what you think of its straight line acceleration. I am curious myself. I personally love Caymans, so will always be following in interest.

And Cayman owners tend to be a different breed... they scoff and smile contemptuously at other drivers who try to red light or freeway race them. In the back of their minds they know they have the superior driver's car. Made on a true sport car chassis. While everyone else is driving a car made for the street first, and track second.

And even if you don't track the car, it is a nice feeling to know that you can barely touch a Cayman's limits on regular roads. My brother came back from the Porsche Experience in ATL and was thrilled with what Caymans can really do.

Really nice post! Thanks

I'm still on the fence for the PTV honestly, but hey... its just another 1.3k? Problem being I kept going extras mad by going "hmm just another 1k" lol
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #69
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreg View Post
Really nice post! Thanks

I'm still on the fence for the PTV honestly, but hey... its just another 1.3k? Problem being I kept going extras mad by going "hmm just another 1k" lol
That's the Porsche way!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #70
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Well this is what I ended up with it, and its pretty final...
  • 718 Cayman
  • Graphite Blue with Sport-Tex Leather interior in graphite blue & Crayon (Sports seats plus)
  • Carrera S 20"
  • Bi-Xenon with PDLS
  • ParkAssist front back and camera
  • Electrically folding exterior mirrors including courtesy light
  • PDK
  • Power steering plus
  • Porsche Active Suspension (10mm)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Sports Exhaust black tailpipes
  • Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
  • Navigation Module for PCM

And that's all she wrote ? I think. I got about 30days to change things or so I'm told.

Last edited by unreg; 05-12-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #71
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Well this is what I ended up with it, and its pretty final...
  • 718 Cayman
  • Graphite Blue with Sport-Tex Leather interior in graphite blue & Crayon (Sports seats plus)
  • Carrera S 20"
  • Bi-Xenon with PDLS
  • ParkAssist front back and camera
  • Electrically folding exterior mirrors including courtesy light
  • PDK
  • Power steering plus
  • Porsche Active Suspension (10mm)
  • Sport Chrono Package
  • Sports Exhaust black tailpipes
  • Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
  • Navigation Module for PCM

And that's all she wrote ? I think. I got about 30days to change things or so I'm told.

I had a Cayman GTS, including the Power Steering Plus.

Be advised;

-SKIP the PSP ASAP, it will ruin your steering pleasures !!

-Be sure to take the right seats, the standard seats i.e. sport seats plus have a limited upper leg support, they have no thigh extender!!
For me it resulted in a very very cramped driving position.

I had the PDK, I loved it, it is by far the best double clutch system in the automotive industry, far better IMHO than the BMW M-DCT.

I disliked the alcantara steering wheel for it`s artificial en sweaty feel, so I would recommend the leather wheel.

I`m anxious for the next 718 GTS, maybe next GT4 for that matter, but I know now what to order and what not !
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #72
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I had a Cayman GTS, including the Power Steering Plus.

Be advised;

-SKIP the PSP ASAP, it will ruin your steering pleasures !!

-Be sure to take the right seats, the standard seats i.e. sport seats plus have a limited upper leg support, they have no thigh extender!!
For me it resulted in a very very cramped driving position.

I had the PDK, I loved it, it is by far the best double clutch system in the automotive industry, far better IMHO than the BMW M-DCT.

I disliked the alcantara steering wheel for it`s artificial en sweaty feel, so I would recommend the leather wheel.

I`m anxious for the next 718 GTS, maybe next GT4 for that matter, but I know now what to order and what not !
Can't express how much I'm glad you mentioned that about the PSP, I was discussing it with my SA he agrees with you, I'm in clear minority

The car I test drove was with the plus seats and those felt great. I have not sat in one with the standard ones, will try to look for one next week.

Steering wheel is in leather and I love the feel of it. And I'm a minimalist so I love the look of it!...I don't care much about taking and doing calls or setting the volume there I'm quite happy atm
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #73
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Can't express how much I'm glad you mentioned that about the PSP, I was discussing it with my SA he agrees with you, I'm in clear minority

The car I test drove was with the plus seats and those felt great. I have not sat in one with the standard ones, will try to look for one next week.

Steering wheel is in leather and I love the feel of it. And I'm a minimalist so I love the look of it!...I don't care much about taking and doing calls or setting the volume there I'm quite happy atm
Well I did not like the plus seats, next time I`ll take the 18-adjustable ones. I also like the now smaller steering wheel.

I`m waiting for the next generation 718 GTS / GT4, till then I`m enjoying my M2
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #74
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well I did not like the plus seats, next time I`ll take the 18-adjustable ones. I also like the now smaller steering wheel.

I`m waiting for the next generation 718 GTS / GT4, till then I`m enjoying my M2
Yeah, the wheel from the 918 is superb
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #75
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
The 718 Cayman configurator is online. (I don't know if this is news but I hadn't seen it yet.)

Base Cayman, with MT, no sport chrono, with less standard equipment than the M2, $63,620 (with destination). I picked Nav, Bose, xenon, and the less expensive premium pack (mirrors, the cheaper sport seats, etc - basically most of what comes standard on the M2, no comfort access).

Obviously the base Cayman is going to be much slower than the M2 on a freeway. What about a track though? It is at a significant HP deficit.

So hard to justify getting a Cayman over the M2 at these prices. The Porsche premium is real.
I am not so sure it will be obviously slower in a straight line - it has 300 BHP and almost 300 ft/lb of torque. And weighs ~500 pounds less. I would think it would be a nice comparison though.

Not so with the S - which should be noticeably faster, in multiple applications. 0-60 times with PDK and sport chrono are 4.0, so I am guessing it is actually a bit quicker than that in reality.

And you're right - the premium is definitely real. My 981 CS was almost 80K...my 235 was 47 IIRC. So definitely a very big difference there...
Cayman GT 4 money bro...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #76
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Today I was given the opportunity to testdrive a 981 GT4 and a 718 Boxster S

GT4

Jesus..... what a driving machine, the grip, the sound, the fantastic direct steering, the very very firm clutch and a 6MT you have to make some adjustment. (Coming from the M2 6MT with is so effortless and light, the M2 is just a woman's car)

It is too much as a dd, but the way it steered, man man, I wished my previous Cayman GTS would have steered that way, I would have never ever turned that car in!!!

718 Boxster S

Great dd, very easy, very fast, brilliant PDK, awesome leather GT multi-function steering wheel ( I prefer that to the alcantara one) it is also a tad thicker, witch is good!
Steering is slightly less direct than the GT4, but far more better than my previous GTS witch had too much self centering force, my idea was I always had to fight with the steering, now that is all gone in the 718 version !

A little let down for a sports car is the 4 cilinder sound, it can not match the screaming of the 6 cinder GT4/GTS for that matter. But all in all the 718 versions have further more progressed, so the sound would not be a deal braker to me pesonally but I can understand that really hardcore Porsche believers do feel it as a let down.

How are above cars to be seen in comparisson to the M2?

Well there is none, the M2 is a GT, it is sporty yes, but not a sports car, it is to heavy, its a very easy drivers car, on clutch, on 6MT, perfect dd yes.

The Porsches GT4 is a 3th car for the weekend IMO, but it is of course a pure sports car, the way it should be, for the best, take it to track.

The 718 Boxster is also a true sport scar, far better for dd, fast, direct, compliant, lighter, just a wonderfull machine.

Porsche starts where the M2 has stopped already !
Appreciate 4
      05-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #77
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

And that exactly sums it up. I have an M2 on order, but will be testing the 718 before it arrives, there my be a last minute switch ...
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #78
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

When we optioned out our p-cars it's always death by 1,000 paper cuts. This and that for $500, one more thing for
$760 etc etc before you know it you're double MSRP!
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #79
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Cayman GT 4 money bro...
Try finding one for that money. I dare you.

AND there are peeps paying ~$65K for the M2, just to have it early...would you rather encroach upon 981 money for a M2? Or approach nonexistent GT4 money for a 981 CS?

I voted with my wallet. Just sayin.
      05-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #80
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
When we optioned out our p-cars it's always death by 1,000 paper cuts. This and that for $500, one more thing for
$760 etc etc before you know it you're double MSRP!
There's a reason that Porsche is one of the most profitable brands out there...they know what they're doing in order to maximize profit.
      05-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo

GT4

Jesus..... what a driving machine, the grip, the sound, the fantastic direct steering, the very very firm clutch and a 6MT you have to make some adjustment. (Coming from the M2 6MT with is so effortless and light, the M2 is just a woman's car)

It is too much as a dd, but the way it steered, man man, I wished my previous Cayman GTS would have steered that way, I would have never ever turned that car in!!!

718 Boxster S

Great dd, very easy, very fast, brilliant PDK, awesome leather GT multi-function steering wheel ( I prefer that to the alcantara one) it is also a tad thicker, witch is good!
Steering is slightly less direct than the GT4, but far more better than my previous GTS witch had too much self centering force, my idea was I always had to fight with the steering, now that is all gone in the 718 version !

A little let down for a sports car is the 4 cilinder sound, it can not match the screaming of the 6 cinder GT4/GTS for that matter. But all in all the 718 versions have further more progressed, so the sound would not be a deal braker to me pesonally but I can understand that really hardcore Porsche believers do feel it as a let down.

Well there is none, the M2 is a GT, it is sporty yes, but not a sports car, it is to heavy, its a very easy drivers car, on clutch, on 6MT, perfect dd yes.

The Porsches GT4 is a 3th car for the weekend IMO, but it is of course a pure sports car, the way it should be, for the best, take it to track.

The 718 Boxster is also a true sport scar, far better for dd, fast, direct, compliant, lighter, just a wonderfull machine.

I absolutely love your comments.

Agree on the M2 comments , it's like " Secret" deodorant, strong enough for a man, but made for a woman ". We totally jest about it being a woman's car, however that is the exact truth, in that all the controls are so light and so easy that there is very little tactile feel and very little effort or heft needed for any controls , the steering, shifter , brakes all can be operated with about 3 ft-lb of effort.

I haven't driven a GT4, but hope to do so perhaps at COTA in June. It sounds totally awesome and far superior to the other Cayman models. I sincerely hope that BMW decides to try and keep up with the Mullers and makes a harder edged track car of the M2.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #82
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:
Cayman GT 4 money bro...
Try finding one for that money. I dare you.

AND there are peeps paying ~$65K for the M2, just to have it early...would you rather encroach upon 981 money for a M2? Or approach nonexistent GT4 money for a 981 CS?

I voted with my wallet. Just sayin.
I've always known you can't buy a Porsche for close to anything near sticker. I dropped my 1M off for service (brake fluid flush prior to the Texas Trifecta at COTA! ) and wandered over to a Porsche lot. I don't think there was a single vehicle on the lot under 66k.

There's were a few Cayman 718 models at 73k and the same for 981 Cayman S models. What a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #83
unreg
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've always known you can't buy a Porsche for close to anything near sticker. I dropped my 1M off for service (brake fluid flush prior to the Texas Trifecta at COTA! ) and wandered over to a Porsche lot. I don't think there was a single vehicle on the lot under 66k.

There's were a few Cayman 718 models at 73k and the same for 981 Cayman S models. What a joke.
718 Cayman here starts at 63k, mine ended up at 82k
Ahhhhh everything I'll touch is leather....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #84
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely love your comments.

Agree on the M2 comments , it's like " Secret" deodorant, strong enough for a man, but made for a woman ". We totally jest about it being a woman's car, however that is the exact truth, in that all the controls are so light and so easy that there is very little tactile feel and very little effort or heft needed for any controls , the steering, shifter , brakes all can be operated with about 3 ft-lb of effort.

I haven't driven a GT4, but hope to do so perhaps at COTA in June. It sounds totally awesome and far superior to the other Cayman models. I sincerely hope that BMW decides to try and keep up with the Mullers and makes a harder edged track car of the M2.

You are welcome

The M2 is so smooth, it is smoother tan all other ///M`s I ve driven. That means smooth on engine, noise, clutch, gearbox.

I would say the ride is a little bumpy on rough roads, I must admit my Cayman GTS had a more compliant ride on the same rough surface FWIW
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #85
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Did you drive the M2 yet? Calling a M2 a GT car is like calling the M3CSL and 1m a GT car. The M2 is just a heavy FE sports car and not all sports car need to be MR configuration.

The short wheelbase, size and agility makes the M2 a sports car. My GT4 rides as well as my old F80 M3 and 100X more comfortable than my 997RS. That doesn't make the GT4 a sports coupe because it comfy, heavier flywheel and the clutch being way softer than the GT3RS.

I feel the way it drive determine if it's a sport, GT, Race car and etc. Not taking consideration on softness, ride, luxury and etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #86
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

GT4

718 Boxster S

Care to comment about any lag on the 718?
I had the opportunity to drive the GT4 back to back with a 991 C2S, and the 991 had an even heavier clutch IMO. Hell compared to the 1989 911 and 993 Turbo I drove a few years back, the GT4 is pretty easy to drive.

But then you jump back in a BMW and you think the slave cylinder is leaking
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #87
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
GT4

I miss that car...

I did daily drive it for a few months.... But I have a high threshold for pain. But it was a ... good pain.

Also, I had the 18 way seats which were actually pretty comfortable.

I'm not going to lie... If I were to get a 718 S, I'd do Miami Blue with black wheels in a heartbeat.

Last edited by csbear; 05-24-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #88
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Did you drive the M2 yet? Calling a M2 a GT car is like calling the M3CSL and 1m a GT car. The M2 is just a heavy FE sports car and not all sports car need to be MR configuration.

The short wheelbase, size and agility makes the M2 a sports car. My GT4 rides as well as my old F80 M3 and 100X more comfortable than my 997RS. That doesn't make the GT4 a sports coupe because it comfy, heavier flywheel and the clutch being way softer than the GT3RS.

I feel the way it drive determine if it's a sport, GT, Race car and etc. Not taking consideration on softness, ride, luxury and etc.
I`ve driven the M2 for 1.600km for now, It is a GT, no more no less IMO, there is no comparison to a GT4/981GTS, and yes, its (too) heavy also.

The wheelbase is in no way "short"
-Not compared to my previous E82 1M
-Not compared to my previous 981 Cayman GTS

If I do compare the M2`s road compliance to my GTS the GTS wins hands down, the GTS is far more smooth on rough surfaces where the M2 is rather harsh and non compliant.
I had a JRZ-RS1 damper set on my 1M, that did the job just fine, even on rough streets.

The M2`s initial steering input is brilliant I have to say, very quick, I like it more than the GTS, witch initial input was slower, but when turning in more it became quicker.
Appreciate 0