BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW Assist SOS button

01-22-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
5150d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

BMW Assist SOS button

I have a 2020 M2C that is 3 1/2 years old. I was driving and decided to test the BMW Assist SOS button. It did not work. The screen showed calling, locked up my screen, but no answer. Any ideas/advice please?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Give me the last 7 of your VIN (PM me). I'll look up when it was originally placed in Service. If its been 50K or over 4 years the button is not active anymore...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Give me the last 7 of your VIN (PM me). I'll look up when it was originally placed in Service. If its been 50K or over 4 years the button is not active anymore...
I received this email from BMW stating that they were extending the service indefinitely. I have no idea if mine works, I've never tried it.

"BMW has extended important ConnectedDrive Services on your vehicle, at no additional charge to you. This includes BMW Assist emergency calling (eCall) and BMW TeleService. These services have been automatically extended for you and will remain activated for as long as BMW is technically capable of offering them, even if you choose not to renew your ConnectedDrive services when they expire or if they have already expired. There is no additional action you need to take at this time.

For your privacy, while these services are active, we will only be able to acquire your vehicle's location in an emergency situation, when so required by law, or where necessary for asset recovery.

BMW ASSIST eCALL

In an emergency, BMW Assist eCall automatically sends your location and relevant information to the BMW Assist Response Center. Or, with a simple press of the SOS button, you'll be connected with the help you need when you need it most–24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Plus, there's no mobile phone necessary since the emergency call is made via the integrated SIM card in your BMW.

BMW TELESERVICE

BMW TeleService can automatically or manually transmit data to BMW when service is needed. Your BMW Center can access that data so that a BMW Service Advisor can then call you to schedule a convenient appointment and order parts beforehand, reducing service timeBMW has extended important ConnectedDrive Services on your vehicle, at no additional charge to you. This includes BMW Assist emergency calling (eCall) and BMW TeleService. These services have been automatically extended for you and will remain activated for as long as BMW is technically capable of offering them, even if you choose not to renew your ConnectedDrive services when they expire or if they have already expired. There is no additional action you need to take at this time.

For your privacy, while these services are active, we will only be able to acquire your vehicle's location in an emergency situation, when so required by law, or where necessary for asset recovery.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #4
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I received this email from BMW stating that they were extending the service indefinitely. I have no idea if mine works, I've never tried it.

"BMW has extended important ConnectedDrive Services on your vehicle, at no additional charge to you. This includes BMW Assist emergency calling (eCall) and BMW TeleService. These services have been automatically extended for you and will remain activated for as long as BMW is technically capable of offering them, even if you choose not to renew your ConnectedDrive services when they expire or if they have already expired. There is no additional action you need to take at this time.

BMW ASSIST eCALL

In an emergency, BMW Assist eCall automatically sends your location and relevant information to the BMW Assist Response Center. Or, with a simple press of the SOS button, you'll be connected with the help you need when you need it most–24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Plus, there's no mobile phone necessary since the emergency call is made via the integrated SIM card in your BMW.

BMW TELESERVICE

BMW TeleService can automatically or manually transmit data to BMW when service is needed. Your BMW Center can access that data so that a BMW Service Advisor can then call you to schedule a convenient appointment and order parts beforehand, reducing service timeBMW has extended important ConnectedDrive Services on your vehicle, at no additional charge to you. This includes BMW Assist emergency calling (eCall) and BMW TeleService. These services have been automatically extended for you and will remain activated for as long as BMW is technically capable of offering them, even if you choose not to renew your ConnectedDrive services when they expire or if they have already expired. There is no additional action you need to take at this time.

Interesting....I'll check into that...must be a fairly new memo...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAT TIME RULES View Post
Interesting....I'll check into that...must be a fairly new memo...
Yeah, they just sent it to me 1/5/23.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 08:12 PM   #6
DriftKr6l
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Got one too, never tested the button though
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
5150d
Private
Rep

I called BMW and they said the SOS service lasts for life of ownership. My connected drive is good until June 2023. Interesting: They looked up my SOS history and said they got the call but there was no VOICE connection so they contacted the police and sent them to my location which I was not at. They do this if no voice connection. I asked if this was a 3G issue and they said no as my June 2019 delivery date (ordered from dealer and delivered when it arrived) was 4G. Told me to contact dealer as this was a common problem. IDEAS?
Appreciate 1
RideM317.00
      01-25-2023, 11:39 PM   #8
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Yes, you need the latest software update. That's what the "recall" some people got for the 3G stuff was. To be clear, it's not that the system was using 3G for data, the problem is there is a bug and it can't complete a VoLTE call. Prior to 3G being taken down everywhere it would place the call by falling back to 3G voice.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #9
5150d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yes, you need the latest software update. That's what the "recall" some people got for the 3G stuff was. To be clear, it's not that the system was using 3G for data, the problem is there is a bug and it can't complete a VoLTE call. Prior to 3G being taken down everywhere it would place the call by falling back to 3G voice.
Thanks Chris!
Appreciate 0