BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Bye for now; but will be around :)

01-06-2023, 02:27 PM   #45
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Have you been in a Cayman? It’s Toyota 86 level interior quality. Acres of plastic, cheap switches and blanks.

911 is a bit more upmarket than Cayman but still full of plastic. It’s a mass produced car just like BMW. Where the BMWs are usually better is ergonomically. The 992 is a real mess. You can’t even see two of the gauges. The main redeeming quality is that lovely centre tacho. The weird Braun razor gear shift.. no words.
The only Cayman I been in lately was a 718 GT4. I thought it was very well laid out and rock solid. I am a 911 specific Porsche owner/customer and that is my specialty on many levels over 3 decades.

Every performance car from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc… can be considered a “mass produced” car going down a assembly line at one point in its production so that isn’t establishing a common ground between BMW and Porsche. Even a base level 911 is held to higher manufacturing standards than what BMW is producing. Interior trim pieces, panel gaps, exterior paint/trim, engineering, etc…. It appears the gap between the two widens with every new BMW generation of vehicle. This is why keeping your M2C/CS might be a good idea if not buying upmarket. BMW is having a lot of manufacturing fails and expects their customers won’t notice. Stupid simple stuff BMW is sliding past their quality control. That ideology doesn’t happen with Porsche.
Consider the price point of a base 911 is what a top flagship level BMW is charging. Apples to Oranges in the two manufacturers and standards.

I have owned enough flagship vehicles from BMW and 30+ years of Porsche to not even compare build qualities to each other.
Put some years on each vehicle and the Porsche will still be rock solid and everything will work. Resale value reflects this as well. BMW makes a fine vehicle or I wouldn’t buy one but Porsche and BMW shouldn’t be nor were they ever considered equals so that is a unfair comparison and raises unrealistic expectations between the two manufacturers.

As a background I am a PCA concourse judge and long time competitor (Hershey, PCA etc..)
I get to scrutinize build and manufacturing quality all the time, especially with 911s. Finding faults beyond what even the ocd customer can is my specialty and establishing if it is manufacture original and correct or restored correctly.
On a side note: My BMW dealership calls me down or sends me detailed videos to evaluate any Porsche or high end sports car from Europe when one comes in for possible trade at the dealership. I do this as a professional courtesy and we work out some compensation for the trouble.

You can’t generalize a 911 simply because it is all how you order it from base level to bespoke. Yea, you can cut back on all the options and the car won’t be as luxurious as other manufacturers but you can also go full option and even Exclusive bespoke level that is stunning. I can tell you there is a world of difference if you go full on “Exclusive Manufaktur” designed 911 as they are hand finished to a different level with different materials. The down side is of course you must pay up for that exclusively.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-06-2023 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
BigKutta3906.50
chris7197334.00
Lokguru321.50
Humdizzle6070.50
      01-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #46
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Have you been in a Cayman? It’s Toyota 86 level interior quality.
The Kool-Aid is strong with this one .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 04:40 AM   #47
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
It appears the gap between the two widens with every new BMW generation of vehicle. This is why keeping your M2C/CS might be a good idea if not buying upmarket. BMW is having a lot of manufacturing fails and expects their customers won’t notice. Stupid simple stuff BMW is sliding past their quality control.
It might be just different country to country. Down here Porsche, Mercedes and BMW have always been different flavours of a similar Teutonic thing. Mercedes for the the play it safe image guy, Porsche for the mid life crisis who wants the safe option and M cars for people who are a bit more out there. There are always the higher end brands for others.

But we can respectfully disagree and that’s perfectly fine. If I could own more than 3 cars I’d rather like a 993 or 964 in my collection. But I have no space. They are the last 911s with soul. I like cars with soul. Those models have it. The new ones. They just don’t do it. But then again, there are so many other exciting things to own. A 3.0 CSI would be higher on the list. But go with what floats your boat.

Oh yes. The latest BMW and Mercedes interiors are sheer hell. I’m sure Porsche will do the same horrors in their next update too.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #48
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
I’ve begun the multi-year process of wearing her down on the idea of me getting a 992 Carrera S/T/GTS as the next toy. It never ends. 😆
It’s a sickness. I got it too. M2C, V8 F-Type convertible, 330 xit in the garage, but the itch for a 911 is VERY persistent. 991.2 C4S or newer is all I need lol.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 1
DadVibes1247.00
      01-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #49
Lokguru
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5M50i, M2C MT | '18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
It’s a sickness. I got it too. M2C, V8 F-Type convertible, 330 xit in the garage, but the itch for a 911 is VERY persistent. 991.2 C4S or newer is all I need lol.
Ya, it’s really a sickness.. an utterly bad one and many times idiotic .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #50
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I have never had the sickness. My son-in-law runs an auto repair shop. He gets lots of Porsches in for repair or storage. I have driven several with the owner’s permission. I actually prefer my M2 over any that I have driven.
Davil6524.50
DadVibes1247.00
      01-09-2023, 12:25 PM   #51
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i rented a base 718 boxster and thought it was better than my stage 1 f80 at the time. the steering feel was better. their manuals and pdk is better than bmw's version. ride quality was also very good. yeah the 4 cylinder isn't very inspiring but its not like BMWs motors are since they ditched the s65 v8.

i've driven and had several sports cars and a front engine car is just inherently compromised compared to a mid or rear engine. not to say front engine is bad. its great if you want back seats or a car thats cheaper to own and operate than a mid engine layout.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 07:09 PM   #52
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Congrats Lokguru !! I recently did a similar trade and although it was bittersweet letting my M2C go (I had also done Euro Delivery with it), once I got in the Porsche, there was no turning back (admittedly, the two cars are not in the same league).
Also, agree with you: Rennlist site is antiquated and there are many “grumpy” people as well. Will be back on Bimmerpost anyway since I have not left the Motorsport world completely!!
Appreciate 1
Lokguru321.50
      02-02-2023, 08:18 PM   #53
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
… is all I need lol.
LOL! How many times have we all said that one?!! Just one more…
Appreciate 0