04-29-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 competition

Garage List
Stone Chips

Hi,I’ve had my 2019 m2 comp a week now, n now the kinda new car blinkers have come off a bit, I’ve noticed my car has a lot of stone chips, it’s long beach blue,
It’s been lowered before, and got spacers on it,
But front end has a awful lot of stone chips, is this normal? And is there anyway of reducing it? Don’t think I’ve had a car with so many before
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 08:49 PM   #2
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I do think the front panel is very soft and seems to chip much more easily than other cars I have and use. My intention is to respray the nose perhaps every 20-30k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 03:00 AM   #3
KJC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Yes they do pick-up a lot of stone chips especialy the lower portion of the front bumper and around the intercooler intake lower sections.

When I had my sapphire black 69 plate from new it was showing lots of chips after 6 months and not many miles. Black and dark colours will show them more especially in direct sunlight.

If you get it resprayed, it'll probably get worse as the "low bake' paint isn't as hard as factory and putting another layer on results in thicker overall paint which a bodyshop will tell you chips even more easier.

So respray and self healing PPF the front.

Have a look at the rear quarter panels just before the factory ppf and you'll be depressed. And this is from the front tyres so is continuous. Also the lower skirt leading edge just below the door shut in that area will be virtually white. Even fitting arch guards on the front doesn't stop it. I had those areas fitted with extended pdf.

Last edited by KJC; 04-30-2023 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 03:30 AM   #4
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Hmm just sounds like it’s a common problem on them then, it’s bugging me tho as I like to keep my cars lookin mint. But I’m not gonna waste money if it’s just gonna happen again,
Brought the chip ex kit yesterday so gonna try that,
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 04:26 AM   #5
KJC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

The other thing to consider is - providing when you wet the micro chips they disappear, this means that they aren't through the lacquer and can be machine polished out. So don't respray and get good detailer/ppf installer to machine polish and then ppf. Yes it'll cost you but if you want to keep the car as best as possible them that's the best solution. I've just had my M4C ppf'd in all impact areas from new (front wind, bonnet, bumper, a pillars, rear quarters and side skits). Happy to share details as to who I go to do it and a great job and price. PM me if need be.

My view - you're wasting your time with things like chip ex. and certainly don't got for chips away or similar SMART repairs. Pressure wash the car afterwards and it'll come off at some point. Any good bodyshop will tell you that refinishing bumpers has to be done in totality to prevent issues later on. I unfortunately put a scratch on the rear bumper of my M2C size of a 2p piece, only way really was to refinish the whole bumper however a garage for forecourt sale would do a SMART repair to sell.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:27 AM   #6
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I must admit I hate PPF, its so expensive always discolours and has a poor finish. Even today, nearly 3 years on I am still finding glue in the seams I havent got rid of, I must have used a gallon of tar remover. Yuk

A few honest stone chips and respray when really tatty is the way forward for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
Scottyp712
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Does anybody no a rough price to re spray the front bumper?
Bonnet?

It’s a hard one as it seems like throwing money away if I did re spray as it sounds like it’s just a common fault on these cars,
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:39 AM   #8
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Another thought is coloured wax, this can help a fair bit on dark cars, not permanent but you can re apply
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

A panel respray is always a risk and never quite the same as factory.

I just touch chips in with a ultra fine point paint pen, you'd never notice them without close inspection. Both on metal and plastics.

C33 is the paint code for Hock Silver, C16 for LBB, no need to be BMW product.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyp712 View Post
Does anybody no a rough price to re spray the front bumper?
Bonnet?

It’s a hard one as it seems like throwing money away if I did re spray as it sounds like it’s just a common fault on these cars,
Don't think it's a fault, just chips, usually caused by being driven fast....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:27 AM   #11
PRG93
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
I must admit I hate PPF, its so expensive always discolours and has a poor finish. Even today, nearly 3 years on I am still finding glue in the seams I havent got rid of, I must have used a gallon of tar remover. Yuk

A few honest stone chips and respray when really tatty is the way forward for me
I suspect you've just not had a good quality PPF applied (whatever the installer told/charged you!). I had Xpel PPF installed from new it's it's worked brilliantly in keeping the forward facing parts of the car pristine - my only regret is not having the full car done. One piece of the PPF did discolour slightly after 18 months and was replaced FOC.
Appreciate 0