BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Cup2 Connect or RE-71RS for HPDE/Open Lapping?

04-10-2023, 02:02 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Cup2 Connect or RE-71RS for HPDE/Open Lapping?

Tires will be track-specific and used *only* for driving to the track (90 min on the interstate), doing HPDE's/Open Lapping, and then driving home.

I've narrowed it down to the Michelin Cup2 Connect 240 OR the Bridgestone RE-71RS.

Cup 2 Connects for sure fit the front of the car. TireRack says the Bridgestones will fit as well. 255/35/19 on a 9.5" wheel w/ M-P suspension and camber plates.

I do 20 minute sessions in both HPDE and Open Lapping in June-Sept, so the track's a mite toasty. Worried about heat cycling on the Bridgestones, but they're significantly cheaper.

No AutoCross, racing or anything else.

A little help making the decision from the Collective? Half the reviews I've been able to find favor the Cup's, half favor the RE's. And a lot of them are AutoCross, which isn't quite what I'm doing.

TIA.
      04-10-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Cup2 for beginners, re71rs we don't have them in europe, but they seem more solid, even some chinese semis will go better than cup2.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 05:28 PM   #3
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...-buyers-guide/

This will have the answer you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

This is a tough one. I considered both for my M2 but ultimately ended up with PS4S because it is my daily and didn’t want to buy a set of tires each year. I’d go for the Cup 2 in your shoes. They are a little more expensive, but I think they will give you more consistent performance for hot lapping. Plus you have some comfort knowing they are used on just about all the track special versions of sports cars. I think the RE-71RS is more of a autocross tire. The HPDE and Gridlife events I’ve been too, no one really runs the RE-71RS. Cup 2 is popular though.
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      04-10-2023, 08:50 PM   #5
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post

Great article!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #6
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
This is a tough one. I considered both for my M2 but ultimately ended up with PS4S because it is my daily and didn’t want to buy a set of tires each year. I’d go for the Cup 2 in your shoes. They are a little more expensive, but I think they will give you more consistent performance for hot lapping. Plus you have some comfort knowing they are used on just about all the track special versions of sports cars. I think the RE-71RS is more of a autocross tire. The HPDE and Gridlife events I’ve been too, no one really runs the RE-71RS. Cup 2 is popular though.
The -71R was definitely more autocross-oriented, but research is sort of leading towards the -71RS more track biased.
      04-11-2023, 11:44 AM   #7
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post

Not really?

I'd read (and re-read after you linked it) that article-- it puts both the -71RS and C2 Connect in the "autocross and single-lap time trials" category.

And? *Literally* not a single other tire listed comes in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19.

On the plus side, it *did* kill an evening on researching tires!

Still 50/50 between the two-- the -71RS is new enough that there's not a lot of data out there. Tire Rack says it's got a squarer profile on the edges, so I'll have to play around with the car to try to get some measurements to see if it'll clear the front of my M2C. They said if I mount to check clearance but don't drive, I can return them if needed-- THAT'S a good thing.

I've got about two more days worth of rubber on my current C2 Connects-- so after mid-June, I'll have to make a decision.
      04-11-2023, 12:27 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Not really?

I'd read (and re-read after you linked it) that article-- it puts both the -71RS and C2 Connect in the "autocross and single-lap time trials" category.

And? *Literally* not a single other tire listed comes in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19.

On the plus side, it *did* kill an evening on researching tires!

Still 50/50 between the two-- the -71RS is new enough that there's not a lot of data out there. Tire Rack says it's got a squarer profile on the edges, so I'll have to play around with the car to try to get some measurements to see if it'll clear the front of my M2C. They said if I mount to check clearance but don't drive, I can return them if needed-- THAT'S a good thing.

I've got about two more days worth of rubber on my current C2 Connects-- so after mid-June, I'll have to make a decision.
You said something earlier that should make the choice absolutely clear.

If you know anything at all about heat-cycling then you know that driving a sticky tire to and from the track will cycle it out very quickly, losing you all that grip you want so much. This is the reason you see guys hauling tire trailers behind their FD's...

Between the two, the Cup2 fits your situation best, no question whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #9
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
You said something earlier that should make the choice absolutely clear.

If you know anything at all about heat-cycling then you know that driving a sticky tire to and from the track will cycle it out very quickly, losing you all that grip you want so much. This is the reason you see guys hauling tire trailers behind their FD's...

Between the two, the Cup2 fits your situation best, no question whatsoever.
Thanks! I've been going back and forth and forth and back over this.

The Cup2 Connects are harder to find (esp. the front in 255/35/19), but at least they're a known quantity.

I wish I could pop on dedicated track tires, but there's just no realistic way to make that happen-- and the sizes I'm running pretty much rule out any track-specific tire. I wish I could run 18's, but the expense of a brake swap would be cost prohibitive. And by expense, I mean "divorce".

Thanks again for the tilt towards the Michelin's.

R.
///MPhatic13862.50
      04-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #10
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

I would run the Cup2 if you are driving to and from events. I found about 2.5 deg neg camber in front was about what they liked to be able to obtain even temps across the face of the tire and run them at the proper pressures.

Wouldn't a dedicated set of track tires/wheels in the end cost about the same as running one set for everything? I would think the Cup2's would wear significantly more on track than a semi-slick on a dedicated set of wheels. Just trying to help you justify!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 12:46 PM   #11
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

The old RE71s did not heat cycle out, not sure if the new ones do.

In my experience, neither the RE71 or the Cup2s are optimal HPDE tires, if you run a faster pace. Both offer excellent grip for a single/couple of laps but then overheat and get greasy. This sometimes makes enjoying a full 15/20 minute session a challenge.

NT01s in 18s can often be found for around ~ $1k. I enjoy these much better than the RE71s or Cups, plus they are cheaper.
      04-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #12
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post

In my experience, neither the RE71 or the Cup2s are optimal HPDE tires, if you run a faster pace. Both offer excellent grip for a single/couple of laps but then overheat and get greasy. This sometimes makes enjoying a full 15/20 minute session a challenge.

NT01s in 18s can often be found for around ~ $1k. I enjoy these much better than the RE71s or Cups, plus they are cheaper.
Nitto NT01's only come in four sizes in 19's-- none of which are appropriate for my car.
      04-11-2023, 12:58 PM   #13
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
I would run the Cup2 if you are driving to and from events. I found about 2.5 deg neg camber in front was about what they liked to be able to obtain even temps across the face of the tire and run them at the proper pressures.
Wouldn't a dedicated set of track tires/wheels in the end cost about the same as running one set for everything? I would think the Cup2's would wear significantly more on track than a semi-slick on a dedicated set of wheels. Just trying to help you justify!

the -71's/Cup2C's ARE the dedicated track tires— I normally run MP4S's for street.

But, I can NOT find a street legal tire that'll fit my wheels. So, I'm down to those two choices for track days.

Between the 19x9.5/10.5 wheels, already tight clearance on the front of a M2C, M-P conical springs— there's just not a lot of options.
      04-11-2023, 01:41 PM   #14
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

Given the choices you have, I would lean more towards the RE71RS as they will last longer than the Yokohama A052s that are also available in 255 front/ 275 rear, are better from a fitment and performance perspective than the Falken RT660s in 275/30/19 front and 305/30/19 rear, and less expensive than the Cup2 Connects.

If you start going through tires at a fast rate then the choices becomes whether to invest in a BBK like the AP kit that will allow you to run 18s which will then open up a wider tire selection.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 03:55 PM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
They would with standard 75 mph highway driving. They'll last, but will eventually get hard because of it. I think the Cup2 (240, not 180) is better at this. Ring Taxi's use it almost exclusively because of this.

I miss my old 71R's. I hope the new one is as good.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 07:12 AM   #16
Elganja
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, Huracan, Etron

Quote:
Tires will be track-specific and used *only* for driving to the track (90 min on the interstate), doing HPDE's/Open Lapping, and then driving home.

I've narrowed it down to the Michelin Cup2 Connect 240 OR the Bridgestone RE-71RS.

Cup 2 Connects for sure fit the front of the car. TireRack says the Bridgestones will fit as well. 255/35/19 on a 9.5" wheel w/ M-P suspension and camber plates.

I do 20 minute sessions in both HPDE and Open Lapping in June-Sept, so the track's a mite toasty. Worried about heat cycling on the Bridgestones, but they're significantly cheaper.

A little help making the decision from the Collective? Half the reviews I've been able to find favor the Cup's, half favor the RE's. And a lot of them are AutoCross, which isn't quite what I'm doing.

TIA.
Was stuck in the same dilemma and went with the re71-rs. I do not have rubbing issues up front (have only done 5miles on them though). Running -3.2 up front with nearly no toe for reference in the front

I had cup 2 tires on previously, and similar to you, went to RE71-RS due to price and availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
They would with standard 75 mph highway driving. They'll last, but will eventually get hard because of it. I think the Cup2 (240, not 180) is better at this. Ring Taxi's use it almost exclusively because of this.

I miss my old 71R's. I hope the new one is as good.
Not sure what kind of highway driving you do, but my tires never get that hot driving on the street. I regularly see 150-170deg on the track, while on the street i never see past 120deg. I have doubts that driving to and from the track will contribute to heat cycling the tires out
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 07:20 AM   #17
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elganja View Post
Not sure what kind of highway driving you do, but my tires never get that hot driving on the street. I regularly see 150-170deg on the track, while on the street i never see past 120deg. I have doubts that driving to and from the track will contribute to heat cycling the tires out
A032/A048/R888/888R/A005/AR1/NT01/71R, I've had them all, and the softer they are the faster they heat-cycle with street driving, it's just a given. Some handle it better than others, obviously, as they are literally made to, so they give up some ultimate grip. Try a 70 mph round trip to your local HPDE with AR1's and see how long their grip lasts. HEAVY cars like the COW BMW's are worst. My Lotus could wear A048's and not heat cycle them out because the car didn't have enough weight to ever get heat into them.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #18
Gary O
Gary O
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hey Flybigjet.

I drive at HPR and commute nearly the same distance as you with my M2C. I have found the Cup 2's to be excellent. I am running about -2.8 camber and yes, they will wear the inside shoulders out. But they are good for 8-10 HDPE events depending on how hard you push. In warm conditions they get greasy after 5-6 quali laps, the price you pay to play.

The summer time temps / conditions at HPR can be brutal......for your car and most of all the tires. Fortunately BMW built a solid cooling system into the S55 and I've never had issues with overheating (ie e46 M3)

I admit to not having tried the Bridgestones but I'm reading the same tea leafs you are and they seems to be more targeted for autocross use.

Cup 2's are spendy but I think they are worth the little extra cash.

Cheers Bigjet......See you out at the track [
Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      04-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #19
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

TIA.
Re-71RS of course.

All the fastest M2C lap times I have seen in the last few years were on Re=71RS or A052, not one was on Cup 2.

The RE-71RS has more grip than the Cup 2 but that is not the reason why it is a great track tyre. It is a great track tyre because when you drive it beyond its limit, it will recover its composure fairly quickly. Secondly, its stiff sidewall aids steering precision and contact feel, and in many cases requires less steering input (less turn in) during high lateral G than some other tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:00 PM   #20
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Had you considered Conti Extreme Contact Force in 265/295? I think those will fit 9.5/10.5 wheels. I may run these on my stock wheels at 235/265.
Appreciate 0