BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilover recommendations for M2 Competition

06-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #111
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prompt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prompt View Post
what you guys recommend to get rid of the body roll, have a car road compliant but not crazy stiff?
I would like to go for a set of coilovers too, my use is 90% road, 10% track.I usually do 2 track days per year
You're getting body roll w/the stock suspension? I suppose there's some but anything you do will make the car unlivable.

I added the coilovers to get rid of the harsh jarring compression/rebound of the stock suspension.

In this video Steve Dinan @3:05 talks about suspensions tuning and why he can uses softer springs. Tightening things up too much isn't always an improvement and applying race car solution strategy doesn't apply 1:1 to street cars.

Yeah, yeah I know some people don't like Dinan but at least listen to his reasoning it does make sense.
Yes body roll just on track,during turn in
I'm on fully stock suspensions
I feel it get worse and worse more laps per session I do
Anyone feels the same?
I hope this picture explain it better
So, I'm far from a suspension expert but I know enough to play one on forums only on the weekends; what you're looking at here is:

- a coilover set (MPS, Ohlins, TC Kline, Bilstein, KW, Moton/AST)
- sway bar, link and bushings kit

The coilover will dramatically improve road compliance (no more bump stops and jittery jangles due to soft OEM spring rate) improved steering feel and stability- retaining the DD aspect.

The swaybar kit will take it to the next level on a track: minimize most body rolls you're after.
      06-24-2022, 05:10 PM   #112
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I wouldn't obsess on the "ride height" and look too much. Also don't forget your comparing your MP4S to my MPSS.
No, my tyres (or tires) are still OEM, the MPSS, not MP4S. I am secretly planning on the Richland Forged rims w/ the MP4S when my current set run their course. Since these wheels have a bigger offset, I wouldn't need to run spacers (so I hope…if not a min 7.5 F and 5 R should do it).

Solid advice overall mate! As most of us here, we're laser focused right after an upgrade: you become hyper-sensitive on any change whatsoever, and nitpick.

I'll run my setup in current form for a few more weeks, then go back to shop and ask to ensure the F-595, R-600 per y'all input (and MPS specs).

The thing is, I am more than happy w/ how the ride has improved, just wanted the stance to match that 'perfect' flushed look!
      06-25-2022, 09:59 AM   #113
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Just remember to replace the rear sway bar on a M2/M2C requires dropping the rear subframe.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      06-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #114
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattanah View Post
Can you share with me the Manufacturer Part Number of the B16 you got? I am curious, as I just placed an order for the Litchfield version.
Hey, sorry it took me this long.

Attached is the Bilstein PSS10 B16 P/N
Attached Images

08-30-2022, 03:46 AM   #115
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
No disrespect, but I have spoken to KW about this exact thing, and the rates on the V3 are higher. With identical settings the MPS will ride softer, although it won't be by a lot because the rates are very similar.

And yes, the helper spring, the ability to go lower, they are advantages of the V3 (if someone needs those advantages).
Not to resurrect an old thread but what did you hear from KW regarding the rates of MPS vs V3? It looks like MPS is stiffer based on the dynos from @jetbill and KW published rates for the V3 F87 kit. That, plus the experience of @Ratcher.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:36 AM   #116
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Not to resurrect an old thread but what did you hear from KW regarding the rates of MPS vs V3?
Noel Robles at KW told me that the rear spring was slightly stiffer (685 lbs) than that of the MPS, but would not cause an issue. But looking at my own research numbers, the rear MPS spring is 1000 lbs, so it'd be slightly softer, not stiffer. Not sure what the helper spring adds, but it can't be much.

I haven't installed them yet, so I can't speak to feel or driving characteristics.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #117
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
[not sure what the helper spring adds, but it can't be much.
Zilch.. helpers are there to keep springs seated under full droop. Tenders are a different story.
      08-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #118
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Not to resurrect an old thread but what did you hear from KW regarding the rates of MPS vs V3? It looks like MPS is stiffer based on the dynos from @jetbill and KW published rates for the V3 F87 kit. That, plus the experience of @Ratcher.
I just asked a friend of mine that has the KWV3 (he previously had the MPS) about his ride. I got my current settings from him. He swears the KWV3, set the same as the MPS, rides more harshly. Not sure why that would be, especially with softer springs, but he's clear about the point. He does run his KWV3 lower than I run my MPS, but only by 5mm.

My original responses to this thread were his observations, having owned the MPS, KWV3 (on one of his cars) and the Ohlins on his other car (which wears 18's and still rides stiffer).

I wonder if more owners that have had both the MPS and KWV3 can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #119
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I just asked a friend of mine that has the KWV3 (he previously had the MPS) about his ride. I got my current settings from him. He swears the KWV3, set the same as the MPS, rides more harshly. Not sure why that would be, especially with softer springs, but he's clear about the point. He does run his KWV3 lower than I run my MPS, but only by 5mm.

My original responses to this thread were his observations, having owned the MPS, KWV3 (on one of his cars) and the Ohlins on his other car (which wears 18's and still rides stiffer).

I wonder if more owners that have had both the MPS and KWV3 can chime in.
I tend to believe Ratcher though, because he tracks his car a lot and this also agrees with the numbers. The difference isn't massive, by the numbers, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #120
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
The difference isn't massive, by the numbers, anyway.
That's what I'm hearing, it's not a marked difference either way.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 01:27 AM   #121
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by white2abbit View Post
Thanks, that's very helpful! How would you factor in the OEM suspension in the above ranking?
That's a hard thing to do, and I'll tell you why.

The stock spring rate is softer than all of those I listed, by quite a bit in fact, but the damping is so terrible that it feels "crashy."

With ANY aftermarket suspension you're going to have more bounce, ie more movement, and that's because all of them have higher spring rates. BUT, they can all feel SOFTER than the OEM suspension because of much better damping.

OEM - less movement (softer spring rate), but much harsher on every road imperfection
AFTERMARKET - more movement (higher spring rate), but much softer on every road imperfection

If you're mostly going to be on the road with the car, MPS no question IMO. If you're going to be road/track 50/50, then KWV3. If you're going to use the car just for the track, Ohlins.

And by movement I mean up and down (bounce), not leaving the road. All the aftermarket suspensions are vastly better at keeping the car on the road.
So how much harder of a ride is MPS coils vs stock?
      09-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #122
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
So how much harder of a ride is MPS coils vs stock?
I'd say it's 30% more bouncy, more movement, and at least 50% less crashy with my settings. I'm 2 clicks softer than BMW recommends for street/track.

The thing that's hard to explain is that ALL of these suspensions will cause more BOUNCE. There is no suspension made for the M2 that does not increase the spring rate, and increasing the spring rate necessarily causes the car to move up and down more and faster. However, because of better damping you probably won't care much because it's an obviously better ride overall.

Since I'm not racing the car, if I could choose it, I'd have stock springs with MPS damping capabilities lowered to 590/595. But that doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:
I'd say it's 30% more bouncy, more movement, and at least 50% less crashy with my settings. I'm 2 clicks softer than BMW recommends for street/track.

The thing that's hard to explain is that ALL of these suspensions will cause more BOUNCE. There is no suspension made for the M2 that does not increase the spring rate, and increasing the spring rate necessarily causes the car to move up and down more and faster. However, because of better damping you probably won't care much because it's an obviously better ride overall.

Since I'm not racing the car, if I could choose it, I'd have stock springs with MPS damping capabilities lowered to 590/595. But that doesn't exist.
That’s a bit shock to hear to be honest. I can’t imagine 30% bouncier than stock which is already bad for me to begin with. The retuned Öhlins on mine definitely a huge improvement compared to stock. The way mine is set there’s no bounce at all.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16566.50
FreeDarko217.00
      09-18-2022, 10:38 AM   #124
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:

That’s shocking to hear to be honest. I can’t imagine 30% bouncier than stock which is already bad for me to begin with. The retuned Öhlins on mine definitely a huge improvement compared to stock. The way mine is set there’s no bounce at all.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      09-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #125
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well... at low speeds on badly surfaced roads - maybe. The damping is significantly better.

Last edited by M Fifty; 09-22-2022 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: removed extraneous 'is'
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #126
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
That’s shocking to hear to be honest. I can’t imagine 30% bouncier than stock which is already bad for me to begin with. The retuned Öhlins on mine definitely a huge improvement compared to stock. The way mine is set there’s no bounce at all.
More bouncy, but feels better.
Appreciate 0