BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Laptimer

10-29-2022, 11:49 PM   #1
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Updated my idrive and now my M laptimer is gone lol what's the best app to use with camera? I'm planning to use my iphone for recording. Thanks in advance boyz
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I like race chrono. Its way more simple than harrys which is a plus to me, works well and nice way to visualize laps. I got one of those external gps boxes for a bit more accuracy and has been ace
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-01-2022, 10:08 AM   #3
rllamarca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
I'll be using my AIM Solo 2 from my motorcycle. The PC software is embarrassingly bad, but the display is simple, accurate, and easy to read.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-01-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllamarca View Post
I'll be using my AIM Solo 2 from my motorcycle. The PC software is embarrassingly bad, but the display is simple, accurate, and easy to read.
Still debating if I need AIM solo2 since I only go on track like 1-3 times a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #5
rllamarca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Still debating if I need AIM solo2 since I only go on track like 1-3 times a year.
They're not super cheap. If I were you, I'd pick up an external 10hz Bluetooth gps unit (~$100) to pair with race Chrono to get more accurate lap times without the cost of a dedicated timer. The Qstarz or Garmin Glo2 are both good units and around that price range.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllamarca View Post
Quote:
They're not super cheap. If I were you, I'd pick up an external 10hz Bluetooth gps unit (~$100) to pair with race Chrono to get more accurate lap times without the cost of a dedicated timer. The Qstarz or Garmin Glo2 are both good units and around that price range.
Thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I have a racebox mini, but also have the Solo 2 DL.

https://www.racebox.pro/products/racebox-mini

Appreciate 2
M2RAW121.00
      11-01-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

for 1-3 times you do not need a solo, hell even for more you probably don't need it. Hell the phone lap timers might even be more useful since you can immediately see the lap which is very useful.

I agree with the get an external gps. If you have an android phone they are as cheap as $100, iphone about $150. I have a racebox mini which has performed pretty nicely.
Appreciate 4
M2RAW121.00
to_riffic3023.50
toned44.00
      11-02-2022, 03:15 AM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Garmin Catalyst is a pretty compelling all-in-one package. It comes with a camera, tablet, and has a built-in 10hz GPS. It also comes with the main selling feature - onboard coaching, and you can review your session after each run. It's also easy to view all the videos and export them. The only thing it doesn't have is OBDII integration, but realistically it hasn't been a too big of an issue so far.

I used to use RaceChrono + GoPro, that worked decently well, but doesn't really hold a candle to the Catalyst in terms of ease of use.
Appreciate 2
M2RAW121.00
      11-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Catalyst is really cool but also $1000 so on another level
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I use RaceChrono Pro on my iPhone along with a RaceBox Mini, GoPro and Kiwi OBD2 reader. I've previously used a Dual XGPS120 or whatever and the RBM is much nicer, the Dual was always slow to find satellites and was not as accurate. I've also used Harry's Laptimer and it paired with the Dual resulted in waaaay too many times when my sessions simply wouldn't record, it seemed like the Dual worked even worse with Harry's but I haven't tried going back since I got the RB Mini.

The nice thing about going with the phone + GPS + GoPro/other cam + OBD2 is you can choose an affordable combination and upgrade as you see fit, you don't need all pieces to start and can add as you go. With the phone option I think you have an "easy" way to review results but it probably isn't really as good as being able to properly review data on a larger screen afterwards. You can export files and perhaps use desktop software to review but it's not super simple.

I know a few people with the Garmin Catalyst, they do like it although one criticism for the coaching is it can only work with your data. I.e. you have to drive multiple lines and the Garmin will recommend/combine your best lines but if you never drive an ideal line then it also can't recommend it to you. I think it's also a bit more difficult to pull in other data than GPS and accelerometer. It obviously also has a price commitment.

I think going to a more traditional data acquisition setup with AIM Solo or the like with full canbus stuff also gets expensive pretty quick and won't provide any kind of coaching.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #12
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just placed order for glo2, what racebox mini makes it better than glo2?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I don't have any experience with the glo2, but I'd say with a GPS module you've got a few parameters that you care about:
- update rate, usually in Hz, how frequently it samples location
- hot or cold startup times, how long it takes to start & find satellites
- pairing reliability, is it a pain to pair the module to your phone & apps
- accuracy, usually in m/f/in

The RaceBox Mini has 25Hz, 10cm/4in accuracy, but startup times and pairing reliability I don't have anything beyond anecdotal experience that I normally fire up in less than a minute and it pairs with RaceChrono very well. The Dual XGPS160 had 10Hz, apparently has >30sec startup times although I had slower times to pair & find satellites with Harrys and RaceChrono, and 2.5m accuracy.

The accuracy of the RBM over Dual is noticeably better when looking at position overlay on satellite imagery and it's seems to pair & find satellites faster. The specs of the Garmin look similar to the Dual but it may still work better.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #14
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

what tux2005 said, it just has a faster update rate.

now don't get me wrong, 10hz is more than enough and I even think AIM solo is only 10hz.

racebox mini is really nice, it pairs up immediately and then gets satelites within 15 seconds usually. I have been very happy. Battery life is really good too.

Now is it worth the price? that really depends but if you want IOS your choice is paying $150 or $200 for the racebox (and if you get some coupons and discounts you can get it for less, I think I paid like $170 if I remember correctly).

Only annoying thing of racebox is there is no power button, also the pairing is strange, anyone can pair up to it so if someone wants to mess with you they can just pair it to your thing and then you won't be able to pair your phone till they disconnect. No power button means there is no way to have the box disconnect.

This should be fine for most but say someone pairs to it by mistake at the track, could be annoying
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #15
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
what tux2005 said, it just has a faster update rate.

now don't get me wrong, 10hz is more than enough and I even think AIM solo is only 10hz.

racebox mini is really nice, it pairs up immediately and then gets satelites within 15 seconds usually. I have been very happy. Battery life is really good too.

Now is it worth the price? that really depends but if you want IOS your choice is paying $150 or $200 for the racebox (and if you get some coupons and discounts you can get it for less, I think I paid like $170 if I remember correctly).

Only annoying thing of racebox is there is no power button, also the pairing is strange, anyone can pair up to it so if someone wants to mess with you they can just pair it to your thing and then you won't be able to pair your phone till they disconnect. No power button means there is no way to have the box disconnect.

This should be fine for most but say someone pairs to it by mistake at the track, could be annoying
I don't see the garmin glo 2 when Im trying to connect through race chrono pro app? But my glo2 is connect via bluetooth already. Is that means it's connected already even I didn't connect it via race chrono app?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #16
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't see the garmin glo 2 when Im trying to connect through race chrono pro app? But my glo2 is connect via bluetooth already. Is that means it's connected already even I didn't connect it via race chrono app?
I don't have a glo so can't 100% answer that.

does it connect through bluetooh or bluetooth LE (low energy)?
Thats how the racebox connects so you don't have to constantly pair it, it just automatically does it.

In race chronos you just have to turn on external GPS and then pick from the list and thats it. From then on it will always auto pair. You know it is paired because when you start a session in race chronos at the bottom it says

"connecting to XXX" and then it will go away means it connected
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #17
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Quote:
I don't have a glo so can't 100% answer that.

does it connect through bluetooh or bluetooth LE (low energy)?
Thats how the racebox connects so you don't have to constantly pair it, it just automatically does it.

In race chronos you just have to turn on external GPS and then pick from the list and thats it. From then on it will always auto pair. You know it is paired because when you start a session in race chronos at the bottom it says

"connecting to XXX" and then it will go away means it connected
Yes I have the external gps but the glo2 is not on the list lol
Connect through bluetooth IOS
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #18
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nvm I just read this. https://racechrono.com/article/faq/h...ption-for-that

Got scared for a sec lol almost return this thing
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #19
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ahha glad you got it working
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      11-11-2022, 12:20 AM   #20
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I've been using the AiM Solo2 DL for the last few events and I like it. Have it connected to OBD II port that powers is as well, and 6 channels are available by default, including IAT & MAP pressure (boost?). The unit has leds that can be configured to light up red or green, progressively, if you are slower or faster in a section compared to your best lap, and at the end of the session it shows you your 3 best laps. You can also walk any lap and see cornering speeds etc.

The PC app (Race Studio 3) is not super intuitive, but there are a series of YT videos that teach you how to use it and it's not bad to pick up.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:09 AM   #21
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Quote:
Updated my idrive and now my M laptimer is gone lol what's the best app to use with camera? I'm planning to use my iphone for recording. Thanks in advance boyz
Your M Laptimer is gone because your BMW Connected Services / Connected Package has expired. If you renew the service, the M Laptimer will return.

I have used the M Laptimer for over 100 track days. Right on par or within tenths (+/-) when compared to other lap timers, such at BMW CCA Club Race timers. There are a number of great options, I am really liking my Garmin Catalyst.
M2RAW121.00
      02-07-2023, 02:26 PM   #22
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
Your M Laptimer is gone because your BMW Connected Services / Connected Package has expired. If you renew the service, the M Laptimer will return.

I have used the M Laptimer for over 100 track days. Right on par or within tenths (+/-) when compared to other lap timers, such at BMW CCA Club Race timers. There are a number of great options, I am really liking my Garmin Catalyst.
This IS NOT TRUE. I still have id7 with 07/2021 update. Last time the app worked was 11/2022 and now it won't record on the phone at all (ios)
Appreciate 0