BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Full Xpel PPF completed!

05-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #23
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmmM2 View Post
I'm thrilled with the results!
I have used these guy's to tint all my cars for the last 15 years. You must be located in the IE. cheers 🍻 I'm sure I will see around here
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #24
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefczyk View Post
Looks good. That is a beautiful color combination that you just do not see enough!

As an aside, this trend of wanting perfect paint is really quite interesting to me. $4,500?!? For a car you'll likely own for 5 years (just looking at averages)?! The next buyer only gets ~4-5 years of "use" out of the film as (I believe) it is a 10-year film - some say less. So what is the point? Do a few rock chips really bother you folks? If so, is everything in your life extremely perfect?

I say raw dog it, get the 5-6 rock chips over 30k miles, and move on.
I agree. Unless you live in a region where gravel is dropped during inclement weather, I don’t think this backs out for anything under $100k. Clear bra also comes with its own issues and risks (I had paint lifted on an exotic during PPF removal by a franchised dealer). A mediocre installer can actually harm your paint.

I don’t think I’ve ever suffered accelerated depreciation or a lost sale because of rock chips. I too hate looking at them, though. Chips can be significantly mitigated by not following people too closely and reducing speed in suboptimal conditions. On the other hand, I love buying a lightly used car with PPF already applied (though I’ve never paid extra for it).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #25
fryrice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

Now I'm debating if I should get PPF...maybe just the front and rocker panels? I'm in the Northeast and not really planning to drive in the winter hopefully just ceramic would be enough protection.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #26
leomis
Rep
Drives: 997, GMC Denali

Quote:
I'm thrilled with the results!
Looks great. Is that the darker or lighter wheel that comes with the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #27
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2021 aw m2c

Man, that really looks great!!! I took my 2021 in with 38 miles to have the PPF applied. I did not do a complete, but am reconsidering finishing it up. I have the complete front end bumper cover and headlights, full hood, front fenders, mirror covers, A-pillars, 12" strip behind windshield, lower rockers up to and including the inside door sills, rear bumper cover behind rear wheels, door handle cups and a strip protecting the trunk entry area. Cost me $1,600 for the self healing, non yellowing which on white is important. I used Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax on the PPF, Paint and trim and am very pleased with the water sheeting properties as well as the UV protectants. It greatly reduces the blow drying process and leaves a great shine, even on light colors.

That said, having all the glass done with Ceramic Tint has been the biggest bang for the buck. I had 50% on the sides and rear and 70% on the windshield. The UV and IR blocking characteristics are an incredible improvement and reduce sun load heat buildup and protect the interior. Since I have done several cars in the past, as well as the PPF, I was charged $350 for the tint. For some reason, I see some crazy PPF and Tint installed prices out there in other parts of the country.

With the UV and IR blocked on the front windshield, oncoming headlights and streetlights no longer dazzle or glare. Its a very pleasant night time driving experience and I don't think the 70% is too dark at all. It looks darker that it actually is due to the dark interior of these cars. For me, PPF and reasonable Tint are a must.
Attached Images

Last edited by F87 S55; 05-19-2021 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #28
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
I did not and was told it was not needed.
Also got full XPEL installed on my car once it arrived home from Euro Delivery - did not get ceramic installed on top, as I agree, it's not needed.
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22588.50
      05-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #29
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 S55 View Post
Man, that really looks great!!! I took my 2021 in with 38 miles to have the PPF applied. I did not do a complete, but am reconsidering finishing it up. I have the complete front end bumper cover and headlights, full hood, front fenders, mirror covers, A-pillars, 12" strip behind windshield, lower rockers up to and including the inside door sills, rear bumper cover behind rear wheels, door handle cups and a strip protecting the trunk entry area. Cost me $1,600 for the self healing, non yellowing which on white is important. I used Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray wax on the PPF, Paint and trim and am very pleased with the water sheeting properties as well as the UV protectants. It greatly reduces the blow drying process and leaves a great shine, even on light colors.

That said, having all the glass done with Ceramic Tint has been the biggest bang for the buck. I had 50% on the sides and rear and 70% on the windshield. The UV and IR blocking characteristics are an incredible improvement and reduce sun load heat buildup and protect the interior. Since I have done several cars in the past, as well as the PPF, I was charged $350 for the tint. For some reason, I see some crazy PPF and Tint installed prices out there in other parts of the country.

With the UV and IR blocked on the front windshield, oncoming headlights and streetlights no longer dazzle or glare. Its a very pleasant night time driving experience and I don't think the 70% is too dark at all. It looks darker that it actually is due to the dark interior of these cars. For me, PPF and reasonable Tint are a must.
The tint looks great! I've been meaning to get mine done, but have been putting off due to the fear of the water/IPA used in the tinting process getting into the electronics/amp in the trunk area, from the stories I've read on here. Assuming you didn't have any issues with your amp when the tint was installed?
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      05-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #30
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 S55 View Post

I would pay those prices!

In Houston the ceramic tint is so beneficial. I did that to my F31 wagon. 35% all around, 80% on windshield; $550. You no longer burn in the sun just driving around, and interior temps with the car sitting in the sun are significantly lower.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
F87 S55158.00
      05-22-2021, 11:04 PM   #31
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Zero Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
The tint looks great! I've been meaning to get mine done, but have been putting off due to the fear of the water/IPA used in the tinting process getting into the electronics/amp in the trunk area, from the stories I've read on here. Assuming you didn't have any issues with your amp when the tint was installed?
I did not have have any issues with anything electronic after my installation. I am going to go tear it all apart now and see if there is any evidence it was ever wet....
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      05-22-2021, 11:08 PM   #32
F87 S55
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
I would pay those prices!

In Houston the ceramic tint is so beneficial. I did that to my F31 wagon. 35% all around, 80% on windshield; $550. You no longer burn in the sun just driving around, and interior temps with the car sitting in the sun are significantly lower.
We don't get the blazing sun like to you in Texas, but it gets plenty hot/muggy and the sunload is still bad. We do travel South, so having the IR/UV ceramic tint will be much appreciated. Hoping to experience the reduced interior temps as you describe.
Appreciate 0