09-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Seatbelt pre-tensioner

Hi folks,

I recently drove a loner (G30) while my dealer did some warranty work on my car. I noticed that the loner car had this where it automatically pre-tensioned the seatbelt when I drove past a certain speed threshold (~20 kph). I liked this feature, and I'm wondering whether I can enable or retrofit a feature that also makes this possible on the M2.

Does anyone have more info about this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
Hi folks,

I recently drove a loner (G30) while my dealer did some warranty work on my car. I noticed that the loner car had this where it automatically pre-tensioned the seatbelt when I drove past a certain speed threshold (~20 kph). I liked this feature, and I'm wondering whether I can enable or retrofit a feature that also makes this possible on the M2.

Does anyone have more info about this?

Thanks!
Fairly certain this is a hardware difference that would be tough to overcome unless newer 2 series use it. In any case, I would not personally do any modifications that involve safety equipment. Keep in mind, pretensioner is in your car, only it engages in the moments prior to collision: rapid deceleration and usually in conjunction with airbags rather than after a certain speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

The pretensioners also engage when acceleration quickly. I've used it at the track to somewhat help me hold on to the seat better (get rid of the slack and accelerating hard after leaving the pits tightens up the belt nicely!)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I notice that with the 2020 M340i, it automatically reduces the belt slack, when fasten.

My girlfriend always say to me; "stop messing with my seatbelt" 🤷🏻

It's cool but can be jarring to the uninitiated..

Automatic Seat Belt Adjustment When Drive-Off - How To Turn Off? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1611678

What is the purpose of the seat belt tightening right after we start driving? https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564248

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...t-height-mbux/
Appreciate 0