Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
I'm using four 265/35/18 RE-71Rs on Apex EC-7 18X9.5" wheels for track work. Nice since they can be rotated to even out wear. No rubbing, no issues.

Oh, all four also fit in the back seat of the M2 for transport!!!
What's the offset on your Wheels front and rear? Are you using spacers?
      12-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #46
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
I'm using 275/35r18 Hankook RS-4s. I have over 30 laps on them. Not happy. They are not faster than the MPSS. Pretty similar lap times. On the other hand, they do seem to be a durable tire. Anways, Im going to be ordering a set of RE-71Rs soon.
What width are your wheels? What's the offset front and rear? Are you using spacers?
      12-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #47
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

FWIW my first track day was spent on MPSS.. thought they were junk. Developed a judder under load and understeered like a pig (-2.5 front camber)

I have been on Dunlop Z2SS and I enjoy them. They get a little greasy under continued limit driving, but very predictable, audible, and very good wear rate. They put me at a 1:16 at NJMP lightning with another second or two to shave which is right there with similarly prepped F80s. Somewhat loud tire as others have mentioned.

My friend runs Maxxis VR1s on his S2000 as do a few other people I know and they say its the closest thing to a Z2SS but a little better in every regard. They may be my next tire, too. Give it some serious consideration, because IMHO Z2SS' are the best streetable track tire for the dollar (AD08s better but not for their price), VR1s might do the job even better for less.
      12-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #48
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
What's the offset on your Wheels front and rear? Are you using spacers?
18"X9.5" - ET35 front and rear. I use a 5mm spacer in the front (& longer wheel bolts), per the recommendation of Apex. No issues with rubbing at the track with the stock suspension.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      12-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #49
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
What width are your wheels? What's the offset front and rear? Are you using spacers?
18" x 9.5" et22. NO SPACERS. You will need negative camber upfront to run these.
      02-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #50
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceboss23 View Post
I finally broke down and got the TRM 18" wheels and a set of square 265/35/18 Hankook RS4 and ran out at VIR a couple weekends ago. I chose them over the RE71 because performance reviews were so close across forums and Tire Rack + $50 less/tire + universally being regarded as a much longer wearing tire = better overall value. Tires felt amazing compared to the stock MPSS. Granted this is my first experience with any upgraded tire but the grip was extremely confidence inspiring and I knocked about 4-5 seconds off my best previous time (best now 2:13.75). Also very impressed with ride quality, noise levels, and wear. It doesn't even really look like they've been used and I beat on them for 2 days... to be fair we had some rain the first day so that certainly helps. Overall very happy with the purchase and will update as I do more events.
Did you have to add camber plates or spacers to use this wheel/tire set-up? All stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #51
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Did you have to add camber plates or spacers to use this wheel/tire set-up? All stock suspension?
Noel911痴 setup above is what you want to run. I have the same.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #52
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Noel911痴 setup above is what you want to run. I have the same.
I値l add that I started with the TRM wheelset. Nice and cheap. Had to throw them away after 10 track days. Heat and curbs warped them.

My Apex痴 are holding up much better.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #53
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel911 View Post
I'm using four 265/35/18 RE-71Rs on Apex EC-7 18X9.5" wheels for track work. Nice since they can be rotated to even out wear. No rubbing, no issues.

Oh, all four also fit in the back seat of the M2 for transport!!!
Do you run these on stock suspension? Any camber plates or spacers?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #54
imolam3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Imola M3, 2017 AW M2 PE

Quote:
18" x 9.5" et22. NO SPACERS. You will need negative camber upfront to run these.
Jevi, that痴 good to hear. I am planning to use my e46 M3 wheels ( Volk TE37 18x9.5 et22) on the M2. Are you using stock wheel bolts or studs? Planning to use the Ground Control Camber plates.

What Camber did you use up front? Mind sharing some pics?

TIA
2017 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #55
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Do you run these on stock suspension? Any camber plates or spacers?
Completely stock suspension, but I need 5mm spacer up front. No rubbing.
      02-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #56
Acexxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F06 M6 F87 M2

Have you guys compared Cup2 vs RE71R?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #57
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

yeah, i am using the stock wheel bolts. I am running -3 camber up front. With this offset u will need more negative camber than the stock settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolam3 View Post
Jevi, that痴 good to hear. I am planning to use my e46 M3 wheels ( Volk TE37 18x9.5 et22) on the M2. Are you using stock wheel bolts or studs? Planning to use the Ground Control Camber plates.

What Camber did you use up front? Mind sharing some pics?

TIA
Attached Images

11-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #58
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
yeah, i am using the stock wheel bolts. I am running -3 camber up front. With this offset u will need more negative camber than the stock settings.
Wow that is simply beautiful. Do you need negative camber in the rear to stop rubbing? or does stock camber clear this setup in the back?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #59
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Also, what suspension are you on? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #60
SafariEdition
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Being I have a bit of experience (both at my job, and for fun) with track tires, I figured I should throw my 0.02 in. I see a lot of mentions of the RE71R (great tire) and Michelins and a few others....There has recently been another tire thats been more quietly released that is a VERY good track tire. The Goodyear Supercar 3's. I grabbed a set in 265/285 for my M2 2 days after I bought my car and took it out to our local race track, and then drove it 9 hours to PA for an autocross with some friends where I took top 10 pax on a surface that is FAR better suited for AWD vehicles. These tires are VERY good, and didnt seem to get hot and greasy on track like the RE71R's do. I do a ton of autocross and track driving (and tire testing at work) and can tell you these are a really strong contender for a great track/autocross tire for our cars, especially for those who dont want to invest in 18" wheels.

I'll be testing a bunch of tires and sizes on my car come this spring, so hopefully will have more options on really good tires and how they perform with the M2 over others!
      11-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #61
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariEdition View Post
Being I have a bit of experience (both at my job, and for fun) with track tires, I figured I should throw my 0.02 in. I see a lot of mentions of the RE71R (great tire) and Michelins and a few others....There has recently been another tire thats been more quietly released that is a VERY good track tire. The Goodyear Supercar 3's. I grabbed a set in 265/285 for my M2 2 days after I bought my car and took it out to our local race track, and then drove it 9 hours to PA for an autocross with some friends where I took top 10 pax on a surface that is FAR better suited for AWD vehicles. These tires are VERY good, and didnt seem to get hot and greasy on track like the RE71R's do. I do a ton of autocross and track driving (and tire testing at work) and can tell you these are a really strong contender for a great track/autocross tire for our cars, especially for those who dont want to invest in 18" wheels.

I'll be testing a bunch of tires and sizes on my car come this spring, so hopefully will have more options on really good tires and how they perform with the M2 over others!
Hoping to see this heads up vs the Yoko A052. I’m looking for a streetable arrive & drive tire that has more grip, better manners, and more consistency than the 71R on hot days and thru its life.

Not too much to ask for, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #62
SafariEdition
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hoping to see this heads up vs the Yoko A052. I知 looking for a streetable arrive & drive tire that has more grip, better manners, and more consistency than the 71R on hot days and thru its life.

So....as far as the A052's go...I have done a ton of testing on those (both for TR, and for myself on the C5 Z06 Covrtte I ran in AS last year) and I can tell you they are an INCREDIBLY hard tire to beat. But they do like camber. Thats my only concern with them on the M2 (I'll be running in BS for autocross nationally, and whatever class they dump it into for TT, so I cant increase camber beyond the knuckle replacement). They work really well cold, as well as really hot, and dont fall off and get greasy like the RE71R's do. In fact, some of my cohorts who run TT and the TR Champ Car absolutely rave about them in comparison to the RE71r's, though his car does have a LARGE amount of camber.

One of my good friends won FS with 265 A052's in an E92 M3 last year which gets less camber up front than our cars do, and I think we can get more tire underneath than that car can as well...so thats something I'm really excited and interested to play around with and see what it does. My guess is A052's are going to require being ok with a pretty expensive tire budget on our cars in stock set up, but will probably be at least slightly faster. RE71R's and the Goodyears should be very close to each other in overall performance in autocross, with the Goodyears handling temps and longevity better on track while having the same pace.

I'm just excited for next year to get here so I can start seeing what fits and doesnt, and what works best for our set up or not!
      11-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #63
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So....as far as the A052's go...I have done a ton of testing on those (both for TR, and for myself on the C5 Z06 Covrtte I ran in AS last year) and I can tell you they are an INCREDIBLY hard tire to beat. But they do like camber. Thats my only concern with them on the M2 (I'll be running in BS for autocross nationally, and whatever class they dump it into for TT, so I cant increase camber beyond the knuckle replacement). They work really well cold, as well as really hot, and dont fall off and get greasy like the RE71R's do. In fact, some of my cohorts who run TT and the TR Champ Car absolutely rave about them in comparison to the RE71r's, though his car does have a LARGE amount of camber.

One of my good friends won FS with 265 A052's in an E92 M3 last year which gets less camber up front than our cars do, and I think we can get more tire underneath than that car can as well...so thats something I'm really excited and interested to play around with and see what it does. My guess is A052's are going to require being ok with a pretty expensive tire budget on our cars in stock set up, but will probably be at least slightly faster. RE71R's and the Goodyears should be very close to each other in overall performance in autocross, with the Goodyears handling temps and longevity better on track while having the same pace.

I'm just excited for next year to get here so I can start seeing what fits and doesnt, and what works best for our set up or not!
Great feedback. My focus is on the track, so the A052 with additional camber sounds good (I run -3.2F, -2.1R).

Many of us have ran many different wheel/tires sizes, offsets, camber, ride heights, and suspension. If there's a setup you have mind let us know and we can provide input.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #64
SafariEdition
Private
Rep

Quote:
Great feedback. My focus is on the track, so the A052 with additional camber sounds good (I run -3.2F, -2.1R).

Many of us have ran many different wheel/tires sizes, offsets, camber, ride heights, and suspension. If there's a setup you have mind let us know and we can provide input.
AH yeah, in that case I'd vote the A052 all day long if you're looking for raw times.

Unfortunately, my hands are pretty well tied on what I can do to stay legal in my classes, so looking at a front swaybar (maybe some MCS shocks, if I can get someone to fab up a spring perch for the stock springs to stay legal, cant change ride height and have to use stock springs), and already got the knuckles swapped out for the better camber ones. I'm thinking the 295 square with the yokohamas MIGHT work with the right combo of spacers up front, if not, I'll probably end up with 265 A052's square with H&R front swaybar at its softest setting. I really liked the balance of the car with 265/285 goodyear super car 3's, but I also didnt have the knuckles yet, and have the stock swaybar. Bigger FSB and a tighter rear due to the yokohamas longitudinal grip means I'll likely be fighting understeer, so squared tires make the most sense in my mind to still allow for good entry rotation on trail braking and a little on throttle rotation on exit.

I should have bought the car earlier so I could actually test my theories now instead of overthinking it
      11-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #65
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
AH yeah, in that case I'd vote the A052 all day long if you're looking for raw times.

Unfortunately, my hands are pretty well tied on what I can do to stay legal in my classes, so looking at a front swaybar (maybe some MCS shocks, if I can get someone to fab up a spring perch for the stock springs to stay legal, cant change ride height and have to use stock springs), and already got the knuckles swapped out for the better camber ones. I'm thinking the 295 square with the yokohamas MIGHT work with the right combo of spacers up front, if not, I'll probably end up with 265 A052's square with H&R front swaybar at its softest setting. I really liked the balance of the car with 265/285 goodyear super car 3's, but I also didnt have the knuckles yet, and have the stock swaybar. Bigger FSB and a tighter rear due to the yokohamas longitudinal grip means I'll likely be fighting understeer, so squared tires make the most sense in my mind to still allow for good entry rotation on trail braking and a little on throttle rotation on exit.

I should have bought the car earlier so I could actually test my theories now instead of overthinking it
Got it. Well, the autox guys can probably help you more than me over in their autox thread. Your reasoning sounds pretty good, tho.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #66
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Hoping to see this heads up vs the Yoko A052. I知 looking for a streetable arrive & drive tire that has more grip, better manners, and more consistency than the 71R on hot days and thru its life.

I知 interested in the A052 for DE track use as well. They appear to be asymmetric, non-directional, which would be nice for tire rotation on a square setup without flipping on the wheels. Flipping tires here is shockingly expensive and I知 not sure it痴 worth it. Just paid $165 out the door over the weekend to have a set of RS4s flipped. I prefer to arrive and drive, so running directional tires backwards in the Pacific Northwet isn稚 a great option either.

I知 running 2.8f 0 toe, 1.9r .18" toe on stock suspension with camber plates.
Appreciate 2
ZM22785.00