m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
AST 5100 coilover for M2C

Anyone in the US running AST 5100 on their M2C? Impression over stock? Also are the top strut mount for the front needed?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
Anyone in the US running AST 5100 on their M2C? Impression over stock? Also are the top strut mount for the front needed?
ast are very good.You also want camber plate to make a correct geometry. I don't know why bmw makes the rear adjustable and the front non adjustable.
      06-02-2020, 02:27 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
I have OGM2 c/w MPerf Coilovers and have driven LCI M2 & M2C with AST's - you won't be disappointed.

IIRC default from AST is OEM compatible springs so you can re-use top mounts.

As Fabri says, if you are wanting more aggressive geo then you'll need adjustable either top mounts or lower arms to add more camber.

Having put longer arms on the front of my M135i (gained camber/caster/track width) and owned cars with camber plates (more NVH), I'd probably opt for adjustable lower arms.

HTH, BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
m20e30871144.00
      06-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Great combination between track use and daily comfort levels. If you don't need the top mounts, then just go for the setup without. Great solution all around and lovely to use.

Both my MINI and BMW are running AST 5100. Great piece of kit.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Great combination between track use and daily comfort levels. If you don't need the top mounts, then just go for the setup without. Great solution all around and lovely to use.

Both my MINI and BMW are running AST 5100. Great piece of kit.

MR
Reliability so far any issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

Does anyone have the part nuber or site from where to buy ast 5100 for the m2c for the best price

On the ast site there is no application for the m2c....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:09 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post
Does anyone have the part nuber or site from where to buy ast 5100 for the m2c for the best price

Same kit fits all F87's

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:31 AM   #8
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

I have AST5100 on my OG M2 - just fitted a few weeks ago.

Turn is much better, car is flatter into corner - the OEM suspension is too soft on the front and the far-front corner sags on turn-in - this was frustrating and didn't inspire confidence (this was the main reason I upgraded).

The ride is incredibly smooth on the softer settings. I am now running @ 6 clicks (mid setting) all round and the balance between road holding and comfort is excellent. Now it has the geo done, the turn in is great, mid corner balance is incredible, but it's absolutely fine comfort wise, heck even in a straight line it feels really sorted and planted on the road - excellent suspension!

The rear also has significantly more grip around corners and over road imperfections compared to stock (even in an unaligned geo state).

Whether you need adjustable top mounts depends on where you drive it - I have -1.6 front (fixed) and -2.0 rear camber and this feels great on the road - (TBH, I would have liked a bit less rear camber to maximise grip (e.g. -1/-1.5), but this is how they set it up and it's fine - a reasonable balance between road and track duties - my car is lowered and apparently there are limits to how much you get the camber back to). If you are doing a lot of track days though, you should def dial in more camber which will need new top mounts.

Last edited by widetyres; 06-05-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
m20e30871144.00
      06-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #9
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicatango View Post

The AST site is very out of date - it doesn't even hold the references to the OG M2 (on their UK site at any rate).

You need this one:
https://arperformance.co.uk/product/...uspension-kit/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post

The rear also has significantly more grip around corners and over road imperfections compared to stock (even in an unaligned geo state).

Whether you need adjustable top mounts depends on where you drive it - I have -1.6 front (fixed) and -2.0 rear camber and this feels great on the road - (TBH, I would have liked a bit less rear camber to maximise grip (e.g. -1/-1.5), but this is how they set it up and it's fine - a reasonable balance between road and track duties - my car is lowered and apparently there are limits to how much you get the camber back to). If you are doing a lot of track days though, you should def dial in more camber which will need new top mounts.
WT - shame you didn't get the rear camber set to -1.5deg, as you say, whilst getting your geo aligned. From 1st hand experience, the added traction is more even noticeable and impact on how the rear behaves on bends (either on bumpy roads or max attack on smoother tracks) with pucker coilovers. BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:21 AM   #11
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
WT - shame you didn't get the rear camber set to -1.5deg, as you say, whilst getting your geo aligned. From 1st hand experience, the added traction is more even noticeable and impact on how the rear behaves on bends (either on bumpy roads or max attack on smoother tracks) with pucker coilovers. BP
BP - did you manage to get -1.5 on your MP coilovers? I have set my ride heights up to the same as BMW specify for those (F:595,R:600 from bottom of alloy)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #12
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BP - did you manage to get -1.5 on your MP coilovers? I have set my ride heights up to the same as BMW specify for those (F:595,R:600 from bottom of alloy)
Yes - dailing in slightly less -ve rear camber and getting rear toe right was no issue as it's well within the range of oem hardware.

AFAIK setting rear toe up correctly with higher rear camber (ie -2deg++) is when it gets more difficult with the oem eccentric bolts.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Yes - dailing in slightly less -ve rear camber and getting rear toe right was no issue as it's well within the range of oem hardware.

AFAIK setting rear toe up correctly with higher rear camber (ie -2deg++) is when it gets more difficult with the oem eccentric bolts.
Cheers - I will make a point of getting this done next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Turn is much better, car is flatter into corner - the OEM suspension is too soft on the front and the far-front corner sags on turn-in - this was frustrating and didn't inspire confidence (this was the main reason I upgraded).

The ride is incredibly smooth on the softer settings. I am now running @ 6 clicks (mid setting) all round and the balance between road holding and comfort is excellent. Now it has the geo done, the turn in is great, mid corner balance is incredible, but it's absolutely fine comfort wise, heck even in a straight line it feels really sorted and planted on the road - excellent suspension!

For me track days are about 2-3 times a year and some year it's none. Mainly street and canyon drives. I reached out to AST as well, they said 70% buyer use stock mounts. If I was doing 10+ days a year I would definitely go for the mounts.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #15
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Reliability so far any issues?
None! My MINI has had major beating for 3.5 years now on this suspension, and still no issues.

On the BMW nothing as well, one bolt came loose of the control rod but we tight it again. Initial installation it was not put tight enough.

MR
Appreciate 1
widetyres279.00
      06-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
None! My MINI has had major beating for 3.5 years now on this suspension, and still no issues.

On the BMW nothing as well, one bolt came loose of the control rod but we tight it again. Initial installation it was not put tight enough.

MR
Cheers. Not much info out there about real world useage. No rebuilds needed then, do they have any dust boots?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #17
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Quote:

MR
Cheers. Not much info out there about real world useage. No rebuilds needed then, do they have any dust boots?
Dust boots for the rear are included in the kit. You reuse the oem front dust boots if you want them - you have to reuse the top part (spring seat) in any case.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #18
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Dust boots for the rear are included in the kit. You reuse the oem front dust boots if you want them - you have to reuse the top part (spring seat) in any case.
That's cool, I recall something saying originally no dust boots which is kinda scary for a daily.

I wonder how AST does in reliability stakes considering M perf coilovers do sometimes fail.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #19
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Anyone run these in cold climates/winter yet? Any noises or issues?
Appreciate 0