05-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #45
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Yoda View Post
So, i spoke with a rep at bimmerworld today and he told me they have a new fix for the clearance issue for the rear coilover; sway bar and end links. Apparently the spacer was blocking it, making it unable to use it's full range of motion. So they have configured the new setup. I will most likely be going with the new setup they have for the coilover rear (still cheaper than the divorced setup, ha!).

I'll post a little write-up about my experiences once i get them installed and have some time on them. Just figured id post about it on here in the case that someone has the spacer and wants to upgrade with the new findings
The setup used by MCS and a few others with rear CO is to use the offset spacer on the lower control arm. When I spoke with Bimmerworld they weren't a fan of this option but there were rumours that they were looking into an alternative setup. I did challenge the offset spacer with MCS (as I'm not a fan either) and they said the rake in the damper is minimal and doesn't impede the articulation of the ball joints albeit BW says it does.

Regardless I'm keen to see what BW is supplying for the fix and would be great if you can supply some happy snaps before and after of the items since I have not fitted mine yet

Any ideas when you will pull the trigger
      05-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #46
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Quote:
So, i spoke with a rep at bimmerworld today and he told me they have a new fix for the clearance issue for the rear coilover; sway bar and end links. Apparently the spacer was blocking it, making it unable to use it's full range of motion. So they have configured the new setup. I will most likely be going with the new setup they have for the coilover rear (still cheaper than the divorced setup, ha!).

I'll post a little write-up about my experiences once i get them installed and have some time on them. Just figured id post about it on here in the case that someone has the spacer and wants to upgrade with the new findings
The setup used by MCS and a few others with rear CO is to use the offset spacer on the lower control arm. When I spoke with Bimmerworld they weren't a fan of this option but there were rumours that they were looking into an alternative setup. I did challenge the offset spacer with MCS (as I'm not a fan either) and they said the rake in the damper is minimal and doesn't impede the articulation of the ball joints albeit BW says it does.

Regardless I'm keen to see what BW is supplying for the fix and would be great if you can supply some happy snaps before and after of the items since I have not fitted mine yet

Quote:
Quote:

interesting, hopefully it doesnt cause any extra stress. and i definitely will try to get some pics! i have a shop in mind, hopefully they dont mind if i hang out while they do it. if they don't want to do it, then ill probably go for it myself. there's gotta be a video or write up somewhere haha. also considering the front sway bar(why leave it out), and the turner diff mount since if that goes, bmw will probably blame my suspension and not want to cover it.

planning to pull the trigger as soon as im done configuring the setup with bw! as long as there isn't a covid-delay on anything, should be pretty soon
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #47
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Ah ok. It is a rear sway bar replacement. Depends how hands on you are there is some threads on this forum for the process. If you have a decent jack you need to lower the rear cradle with diff enough to slide the sway bar through on top of the cradle. It's a decent amount of work but doable at home if need be.
      05-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #48
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
yup, looks like it is the rear sway bar + end links. they really are thorough at BW. they set me up with everything ill need, down to the bushings! Wonderful experience ordering high-end car parts.

It is going to be a perfectly-tight fit! Thankfully, I found a local shop that will help me do it, so i dont have to deal with it alone at my house lol

also, thank YOU for making this thread! i went down a similar rabbit hole and noticed your name in a few places haha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #49
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
yup, looks like it is the rear sway bar + end links. they really are thorough at BW. they set me up with everything ill need, down to the bushings! Wonderful experience ordering high-end car parts.

It is going to be a perfectly-tight fit! Thankfully, I found a local shop that will help me do it, so i dont have to deal with it alone at my house lol

also, thank YOU for making this thread! i went down a similar rabbit hole and noticed your name in a few places haha
Out of curiosity do you have any pictures of the parts supplied as part of your purchase. Interested to see what u ended up with in the rear setup.
      11-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #50
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Out of curiosity do you have any pictures of the parts supplied as part of your purchase. Interested to see what u ended up with in the rear setup.
no pictures, but i do have a list somewhere. however, my rear setup is just the coilover with helper spring and rear endlinks to clear the sway bar from the springs
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #51
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

Nice setup . So many choices out there .

Last edited by ROBM2C; 11-15-2020 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #52
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
no pictures, but i do have a list somewhere. however, my rear setup is just the coilover with helper spring and rear endlinks to clear the sway bar from the springs
More interested in the endlinks and swaybar. Mine is slightly rubbing even with the offset spacer.
      11-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #53
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
More interested in the endlinks and swaybar. Mine is slightly rubbing even with the offset spacer.
i would contact someone at bimmerworld or mcs (im told they work direct with on another), let them know your setup and that it is rubbing. Ask what can be done to fix it.

And if they can't help, ill just send you my parts list so you can order what you're missing
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #54
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Would it be easier to just use that damper in the intended place and use a height adjustable spring perch and helper spring in the conventional mounting location? I'm guessing that the delta in theoretical performance between CO and separate systems must be significant to make this much hassle worthwhile?

Last edited by M Fifty; 11-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0