BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 17 m2 6mt Clunk/Thump noise while shifting into gears

06-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
beevanka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Unhappy 17 m2 6mt Clunk/Thump noise while shifting into gears

Hi Guys, my 17 M2 6mt has been making a clunk and thump sound while shifting into gears, and it's coming from the rear and under the car.

It happens while shifting from N-1st, N-2nd, and also to reverse. (It's not obvious if you shift very very very gently, but it's very obvious just normal driving)

Also, while low-speed cruising downshifting from 4th-3rd, and 3rd-2nd, and N-1st(Uphill in particular)

I went to the dealer a few times for this issue, dealer replaced the transmission unit since they couldn't find anything loose or wrong under the car either, but the noise remains on the car, now, what's more, is that now I feel it's hard to shift into gears, especially from 4th to 3rd after the replacement of the manual trans, is that because the transmission is new?

Anyways, the thump and clunk noise is very annoying to me, I never had this kind of issue on my last car(m235i 6mt)

This m2 has never been on the track, It's pretty much my daily driver, I have about 24k miles on it.

I'm scheduling another appointment for this issue in about a week...I'll update it then and probably will record a video.

I read some people have this issue on the forum but some people don't, I'm confused and would like to find out if this is normal and curious to see if anyone was able to get it fixed.

Last edited by beevanka; 06-23-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
babym2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 6MT

sounds normal, you could be letting off the clutch too fast, and the M2 has a noisier rear end than the M235i
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
beevanka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just found my friend's Mustang makes the same type of thump while shifting into 1st and second gears.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I can feel a slight thud on my steering wheel when going from N to 1. If I take it out and put it back in there is no thud. At the next light it will happen again. BMW says there's nothing wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
beevanka
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Had my whole transmission unit replaced at by dealership and now it's much better.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevanka View Post
Had my whole transmission unit replaced at by dealership and now it's much better.
What do you mean? I thought you said in your first post that they replaced the trans and that didn't solve the problem. Did you mean they replaced the differential? If so, do you still have the work order? I believe this and another vibration at WOT issue may be related to the diff bushings. Thanks!
      07-17-2020, 02:13 AM   #7
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevanka View Post
Hi Guys, my 17 M2 6mt has been making a clunk and thump sound while shifting into gears, and it's coming from the rear and under the car.

It happens while shifting from N-1st, N-2nd, and also to reverse. (It's not obvious if you shift very very very gently, but it's very obvious just normal driving)

Also, while low-speed cruising downshifting from 4th-3rd, and 3rd-2nd, and N-1st(Uphill in particular)

I went to the dealer a few times for this issue, dealer replaced the transmission unit since they couldn't find anything loose or wrong under the car either, but the noise remains on the car, now, what's more, is that now I feel it's hard to shift into gears, especially from 4th to 3rd after the replacement of the manual trans, is that because the transmission is new?

Anyways, the thump and clunk noise is very annoying to me, I never had this kind of issue on my last car(m235i 6mt)

This m2 has never been on the track, It's pretty much my daily driver, I have about 24k miles on it.

I'm scheduling another appointment for this issue in about a week...I'll update it then and probably will record a video.

I read some people have this issue on the forum but some people don't, I'm confused and would like to find out if this is normal and curious to see if anyone was able to get it fixed.
Interesting. Mine is DCT, its like something hitting the transmission tunnel (a proper clunk) during light 1-2 or 2-3 shifts. Or downshifts, makes me wonder if it's just a mount. , or a loose shaft. My car has less miles than yours, I looked underneath the car, its surgically clean. Its annoying as hell. Does not really affect how it drives though. Thoughts yourself?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Honestly this just sounds like a regular/normal noise caused by driveline lash. My 128i does this (with and without an LSD installed). My E36 M3 did it. Driven multiple E46 M3s that did it. Happened in my old RX-8 also.

Google "Driveline thud lash BMW" and see all the hits you get. For the most part is people that don't have experience with these cars or other similar cars with a RWD drivetrain. Sure there are some cases where there's a problem, but it's super rare IMO.
Appreciate 1
tranck499.00