BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS Price for the US: $83,600 (plus $995 Destination)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #2267
lax01
Major
680
Rep
1,368
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
It does seem out of place on an $83k car a bit.

BMWNA MSRP for each front rotor is $4377 and rear at $3752, so the four rotors have an MSRP of $16,258. The pads for them are $664 front and $467 rear for a total of $1131. Hence just rotors and pads total to an MSRP of $17,389.

17,389/83,600 = 20.8%. So a bit over 20% of the MSRP of the car for just the replacement brake parts...add in a couple of wear sensors and DIY labor plus buy discounted for maybe $14k. Still pretty pricey DIY brake job.

These are for the F8x parts, but I'd assume they're similar. I did a quick check of FCPEuro's site, and they show no hit on the CCB rotor part number. Their lifetime free replacement warranty is fantastic, but they're not crazy enough to offer the CCB rotors it appears.

But lets not discount that the CCB rotors will last MUCH, MUCH longer than regular steel rotors - even on track - they are not fragile pieces of hardware

I bet with just street driving, the CCBs may even last the life of the car...
Appreciate 1
Bimmercs876.00

      07-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #2268
medphysdave
Colonel
United_States
1658
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: M2 CS if boat stays afloat
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
But lets not discount that the CCB rotors will last MUCH, MUCH longer than regular steel rotors - even on track - they are not fragile pieces of hardware

I bet with just street driving, the CCBs may even last the life of the car...
I'm not sure they last much longer on track. I think that is part of the issue. If I could get a 100k+ miles out of them, and a track day or two a year, then I think that would be a no brainier. The problem is that there isn't a good way to gauge how much heat is being put into them. Cook them, and they won't last longer than steal.

I'm interested in being educated on this manner and would certainly like to hear some real world positive experience regarding longevity. I believe I could get them and have them last, but I've done a lot of my own research. It's an expensive gamble to make.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #2269
lax01
Major
680
Rep
1,368
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm not sure they last much longer on track. I think that is part of the issue. If I could get a 100k+ miles out of them, and a track day or two a year, then I think that would be a no brainier. The problem is that there isn't a good way to gauge how much heat is being put into them. Cook them, and they won't last longer than steal.

I'm interested in being educated on this manner and would certainly like to hear some real world positive experience regarding longevity. I believe I could get them and have them last, but I've done a lot of my own research. It's an expensive gamble to make.
I mean, you could check when you come off track with a pyrometer? Also not sure what you mean by "cook them"

I had Gen1 PCCB on my GT3 and did multiple track days - the general words of wisdom is that you really need to swap pads at 50% life to avoid extra heat build-up

This is a very long thread on the Porsche PCCB - I was planning to get them re-surfaced once they started to wear - this was on a 2004
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #2270
medphysdave
Colonel
United_States
1658
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: M2 CS if boat stays afloat
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I mean, you could check when you come off track with a pyrometer? Also not sure what you mean by "cook them"

I had Gen1 PCCB on my GT3 and did multiple track days - the general words of wisdom is that you really need to swap pads at 50% life to avoid extra heat build-up

This is a very long thread on the Porsche PCCB - I was planning to get them re-surfaced once they started to wear - this was on a 2004
Thanks for the link. Sorry, by "cook them" I mean getting them up over 700C. This seems to be the point that the carbon in the rotor starts to oxidize. Even thought they claim they are good up to 1400C, but that is the Si structure that can sustain the higher temps. If you can keep your brakes below 700C, then they should last a very very long time.

I've also read about the pad swap at 50%. As well as ensuring a proper bed-in process, and running with traction control off on track, and adding cooling ducts.

I'm not a track rat and don't run at 9/10. I've yet to run across published data on rotor temps vs lap times at various tracks. I think this might give a bit more insight if this data were available. The heat paint is a day late and a dollar short. Setting up real time temp sensors is an option, but an expensive one.

How many sets of steel rotors and pads can be changed for the cost of the CCB option? Clean wheels is a big bonus, but I can pay someone to clean my wheels every week for a long time on 8K especially if a I use some of the cash to have them ceramic coated.

The weight savings is nice, but I think it's a bit overstated.

When discussing rotational mass. The largest gain is going to come from the lightweight wheels and lightened cup 2 tires. The disc is close to the rotational axis and the large but lightweight rotor still has an effective radius that is non zero. With CCB the steering should feel slightly easier to turn at speed and the wheels will be more "willing" to change direction.

The weight savings overall will help with energy efficiency/transfer. Braking, accelerating, fuel consumption.

Unsprung weight savings will help with driver feedback and tire to road connection.

I'm definitely pro CCB if there is a perceived difference, but I suspect it's going to be smaller than most would like beyond pedal feel.
Appreciate 2
CSBM51591.00
sdhotwn452.00

      07-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #2271
medphysdave
Colonel
United_States
1658
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: M2 CS if boat stays afloat
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Couple of points from 2015 thread

Wear rate at the track is far higher. If we assume the before and after numbers are accurate, your 200 track miles consumed 22% of the front disk's life, and 31% of the rear's. This translates into a total track lifespan of 900 miles for the front disks and 650 miles for the rears.

At $20k per replacement set that works out to $26.50 per mile on the track in brake disks alone, or $5300 for your 200 mile track weekend. This seems a good time to point out that replacement ZR1 rotors are made by the same OEM as Porsche's rotors, and can be bought for $5400 for the set.

I and I'm sure others are looking forward to your next data point with great interest. Thanks very much for gathering and posting this info! I think it's the best we've got for Gen 3 PCCBs, and worth tons to many of us.

For what it's worth,

I was recently at Barber Motorsport Park for a 918 delivery with my father. The advanced Porsche classes were taking place on track at the same time.

I spoke with a number of the instructors individually about swapping the PCCB rotors on my GT3 to a steel/iron alternative. Each of them came back with the exact same response: no need w/ the new PCCBs.

I completely understand that these guys are paid by Porsche to represent the product and technology in as high a light as possible so their comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

That said... they had a fleet of track dedicated GT3's each equipped with PCCB's. They've had them the entire year and not swapped rotors yet....

That gave me a lot of confidence to stick it out w/ my ceramic rotors....

As a reference for steel rotors:
I'm at 4000-4500 track miles, 4 sets of rear tires, 3 sets of fronts (RS) 1.5 sets of enduro pads front .5 set of rear pads.
1 set of front rotors. Rears like new.
1.5L oil and annoying 200cc at the time..

5 of the 18 track days were at the Ring so minimal braking there, but all the other tracks were brake killers, worse than Sebring and nothing like the easy California tracks..

I'd hate to be looking at my first PCCB rotor replacement.
Refurbishment would be OK at $1000 per corner but not enough real world feed back.

I'm little surprised by the sudden drop in the density measurements. Based on the previous information and the good work of others to calculate the degradation curves I was not expecting to faced with this issue for another 10-20 track days.
Obviously the degradation is not linear.

Thread died out in April 2019. Looks like everyone was pro CCB, then they started wearing faster, some had better luck. Surface transforms came on the seen, and then essix racing.
Appreciate 2
lax01679.50
cncmastr727.50

      07-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #2272
lax01
Major
680
Rep
1,368
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Couple of points from 2015 thread...
Yeah, I have honestly stopped watching the PCCB space that closely as I no longer have them

I just remember that thread being very informative - especially with cost breakdown like you posted - with hardcore track abuse.

I doubt the M2CS brake cooling is sufficient enough if you are doing 6 sessions all weekend - and really pushing to the limit.

The iron-brakes on my M2 with Pagid RS29s and Castrol SRF (with minimal 997GT3 brake ducting - which probably does less than nothing - who knows) never once faded on the track for me. I'm pretty conservative with brake thresholds though...but they feel absolutely NOTHING like the 6GT3 PCCB which literally give you so much confidence on track (again, granted, the car is/was almost 500 lbs lighter and had bigger 6 piston calipers and 350mm rotors up front) - M2 has 380mm rotors up front.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #2273
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
sdhotwn's Avatar
United_States
452
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wisconsin, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Yeah, I have honestly stopped watching the PCCB space that closely as I no longer have them

I just remember that thread being very informative - especially with cost breakdown like you posted - with hardcore track abuse.

I doubt the M2CS brake cooling is sufficient enough if you are doing 6 sessions all weekend - and really pushing to the limit.

The iron-brakes on my M2 with Pagid RS29s and Castrol SRF (with minimal 997GT3 brake ducting - which probably does less than nothing - who knows) never once faded on the track for me. I'm pretty conservative with brake thresholds though...but they feel absolutely NOTHING like the 6GT3 PCCB which literally give you so much confidence on track (again, granted, the car is/was almost 500 lbs lighter and had bigger 6 piston calipers and 350mm rotors up front) - M2 has 380mm rotors up front.
I'm in Dave's camp as well, and with tracking a reasonable amount I won't touch the CCB's with a $16,000 foot pole (mixed units intentional).

Part of my data point is also based around the fact that My E36 runs only a 12.4 front rotor on a 3200 lb car. It took some doing, but eventually the right pads (PFC08's for what it's worth) eliminated the fade and issues on that car on even very brake intensive tracks and hard running. I know others that run the car on stock size rotors, and even on slicks and higher horsepower the modifications have been minimal in most cases - at most improved ducting on the fronts. Plenty of others have gone to big brake kits etc too, but my point being that track abuse/fade/rotor size combo's that can be dealt with.

Higher horsepower demands bleeding off a lot more speed, so the braking demands will go up for sure, but I trust in finding the right pad compound more than fighting with the risks around the CCB's. It's not just the heat aging risks, but also a chip or catching the rotor during a wheel change, and other issues that can take out a rotor and costs far too much for too little benefit. I'd rather bank on future aftermarket rotors if I really want to try carbon than being stuck with them.

Lastly, the Porsche guys I run with that I know relatively well had all switched to steel for their track days, and all on new cars.
__________________
2014 EBII MSport 335i -Delivered 7/12/14
1998 Hellrot M3/4/5
2011 X3
M2 CS (on Glovis Century)

Last edited by sdhotwn; 07-10-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM51591.00

      07-13-2020, 10:36 PM   #2274
IB M
Brigadier General
1702
Rep
3,063
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
If I get a CS allocation, I'll skip the CCBS due to replacement cost. I will just be worrying about the $16k replacement cost too much.

Can't wait for the US allocation process to begin so people know where they stand. Trying to buy a limited edition car is tough.
Are u going to track the car? CCBs will last a very long time for a street driver even with an occasional HPDE. If ur doing more than that get Steelies. If you are a show and go plus weekend canyon carver that doesn't track then CCBs are a must have IMO simply for the light weight, bling and no dust.

BTW - other than brakes what options will be on the USA spec 2CS?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 07:53 PM   #2275
2020M2Competition
First Lieutenant
2020M2Competition's Avatar
294
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
BTW - other than brakes what options will be on the USA spec 2CS?
IIRC I think the only factory options are going to be

Exterior color
Transmission
Wheel color
Brakes
Tires
__________________
2020 BMW M2 Competition - Hockenheim Silver - 6 Speed Manual - Executive Package
763Ms - Michelin PS4S 255/275 - Rallyflapz - Goodridge SS Lines - Pagid RSL29 Pads - OP Ti Pad Shims - SRP Pedals - Ultimate Clutch Pedal - E90 Clutch Slave - Castrol SRF - Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust - BMS OCC - Technic ASD Bypass - MP CF Steering Wheel Trim - MP Floor Mats - Auto Tecknic M1 & M2 Buttons - Fall Line Fire Extinguisher & Bracket
Appreciate 1
IB M1701.50

      07-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #2276
IB M
Brigadier General
1702
Rep
3,063
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
BTW - other than brakes what options will be on the USA spec 2CS?
IIRC I think the only factory options are going to be

Exterior color
Transmission
Wheel color
Brakes
Tires
Thanks - I'll take mine AW, 6MT with black wheels and CCBs.

Will the cars get PDC or HUD?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #2277
black ming
New Member
6
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 1M, M2CS (soon)
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Thanks - I'll take mine AW, 6MT with black wheels and CCBs.

Will the cars get PDC or HUD?
Yes. No. PDC is stock but not even the option of HUD which is fingernails-on-blackboard annoying for me.

In HK we even get the option of heated seats (for the two days a year when the temperature rockets below 15 degrees C.

Also available is 'windscreen with grey shade band (not with driving assistant)' ------

But on the peak 2-series performance warrior, no HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:01 PM   #2278
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
sdhotwn's Avatar
United_States
452
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wisconsin, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Are u going to track the car? CCBs will last a very long time for a street driver even with an occasional HPDE. If ur doing more than that get Steelies. If you are a show and go plus weekend canyon carver that doesn't track then CCBs are a must have IMO simply for the light weight, bling and no dust.

BTW - other than brakes what options will be on the USA spec 2CS?
The funny thing is I agree with this, yet the logic also the opposite of the engineering intent.

The CCB's will give you the near infinite life and good brake feel etc a street driver and the very low brake dust which are all great for this kind of car if you aren't tracking.

On the flip side, the benefits of the higher temp tolerance before fade, lower rotational weight, etc were all for racing application, which is where these fall down for us with mortal pocketbooks because of the tendency for rotor to wear out prematurely from heating rather than material removal. Plus the additional handling fragility risks to deal with.

I think they look gorgeous, and I'd love to have the gold caliper over the red. But definitely sticking with the steel option for my order.
__________________
2014 EBII MSport 335i -Delivered 7/12/14
1998 Hellrot M3/4/5
2011 X3
M2 CS (on Glovis Century)
Appreciate 1
CSBM51591.00

      07-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #2279
19x
Banned
19x's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Į\_(ツ)_/Į

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Can you imagine Singapore price for the CS
Thai price on the CS could be even higher..

Regular M2C costs 6,299,000฿ in Thailand, which translates to $200k USD at current exchange prices. They have absolutely insane import markup on these sort of cars.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #2280
medphysdave
Colonel
United_States
1658
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: M2 CS if boat stays afloat
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

The question about the CCB is whether it's a good box to check because it's the only 2 series to ever have the option.

However, that could be quickly mitigated with the next 2 series. I'm still debating. It's so close to the C that it kinda needs all the help it can get. But 10% of car value seems like a bad way to spend money. Hopefully some off track driving reviews will come in to help with the choice. Seems like a lot of cars are getting equipped with CCB.

Down the road for resale I think it will be the cars without them that will be desirable. You can run regular discs but it won't be factory spec if it came equipped with CCB.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #2281
CSBM5
Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
1591
Rep
2,487
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The question about the CCB is whether it's a good box to check because it's the only 2 series to ever have the option.

However, that could be quickly mitigated with the next 2 series. I'm still debating. It's so close to the C that it kinda needs all the help it can get. But 10% of car value seems like a bad way to spend money. Hopefully some off track driving reviews will come in to help with the choice. Seems like a lot of cars are getting equipped with CCB.

Down the road for resale I think it will be the cars without them that will be desirable. You can run regular discs but it won't be factory spec if it came equipped with CCB.
From my informal following of M3 and M4 used market over the past few years, the takeaway is that for the most part, there is very little added value to CCB option on a used M3/M4 as you get further from its original sale date. Early on, definitely but 3 years down the road, it falls into the noise of pricing.

My only experience with CCBs was on an M4 ZCP at the Performance Center back at O'fest last Fall. They had the middle of the course setup for hot lapping the M4s, and they all had ZCP and CCBs (and DCT). The session had five cars at a time. My friend and I have decades of track, racing, instructing and autox experience, so once out with the three other drivers, we all ran these cars for everything they were worth. I was shocked how well the other three cars were doing until afterward when I talked to them and they all were/had been racers and/or instructors, lol. I came away very impressed with the M4 ZCP and the brakes were outstanding, simply superb in every way on track - initial modulation, total brake torque (on super, super hot brakes), no fade, nice release characteristics, etc.

As we ended our session, the cars were brought in and new drivers went out within maybe 3-4 minutes rest time for the cars. They went on like this all day long from 8-5pm with car substitution for tires as needed.

I expect the CCB on the M2 CS to be similarly fantastic (as long as you don't need them in 33F rainy weather maybe?).
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #2282
19x
Banned
19x's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Į\_(ツ)_/Į

iTrader: (1)

My take on the CCB from a value perspective is that itís just not worth it at this time. In the not so distant future, Iím willing to bet that CCB will come standard on most or all ///M models.

Today, itís a gimmick. Yes, Iíd love to have CCB on a street car, but In the end, I just couldnít justify spending $8k extra. To me, itís not about the fact that the rotors will potentially last a very long time, but that I have to spend that kind of money upfront.

Even if I have to replace the steel rotors more often and spend more in the long run, I prefer that route in the short to medium term.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #2283
CSBM5
Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
1591
Rep
2,487
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
My take on the CCB from a value perspective is that itís just not worth it at this time. In the not so distant future, Iím willing to bet that CCB will come standard on most or all ///M models.

Today, itís a gimmick. Yes, Iíd love to have CCB on a street car, but In the end, I just couldnít justify spending $8k extra. To me, itís not about the fact that the rotors will potentially last a very long time, but that I have to spend that kind of money upfront.

Even if I have to replace the steel rotors more often and spend more in the long run, I prefer that route in the short to medium term.
If I was buying a new CS, I'm with you...no way I'd spend the extra money especially if I was going to track the car. Brake job DIYs are a simple and inexpensive task especially with FCPs lifetime free replacement warranty (iron rotors). Standard iron rotors, race pads with Ti shims, and you're good to go most likely for almost all track work.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #2284
IB M
Brigadier General
1702
Rep
3,063
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19x View Post
My take on the CCB from a value perspective is that it's just not worth it at this time. In the not so distant future, I'm willing to bet that CCB will come standard on most or all ///M models.

Today, it's a gimmick. Yes, I'd love to have CCB on a street car, but In the end, I just couldn't justify spending $8k extra. To me, it's not about the fact that the rotors will potentially last a very long time, but that I have to spend that kind of money upfront.

Even if I have to replace the steel rotors more often and spend more in the long run, I prefer that route in the short to medium term.
We all need to make our own value call.

Driving and washing two M cars weekly with both brake types I find $8k of value in the ease of keeping the CCB wheels clean and not dealing with the rusty steel rotors after each wash.
Also the CCB/763 combo feels more nimble than the steel/666 combo during daily driving.

Just my two cents - if my M2CS was going to the track then for certain 100% would get steels if no track use then would get CCBs. Plus red calipers seem a bit much tbh.
Appreciate 2
sdhotwn452.00
JustChris11746.50

      07-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #2285
medphysdave
Colonel
United_States
1658
Rep
2,068
Posts

Drives: M2 CS if boat stays afloat
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

@IB M would you share more about this.....

Also the CCB/763 combo feels more nimble than the steel/666 combo during daily driving

What's the weight difference between the two wheels. Trying to determine if it is CCB related or a lighter outer wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #2286
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
United_States
169
Rep
796
Posts

Drives: M3 30 Jahre, 991.2 GT3 RS
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

The only options for me will be Cup 2s and gold wheels. I HATE Pilot Super Sports, utter garbage tires.

I will not get CCBs. I've owned three GT3s and have never optioned one with PCCBs. All my cars go to the track and I am not going to spend the money necessary to replace PCCB rotors and don't like the limited selection of PCCB pads.
__________________

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2020 Supra
Notable Past: 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 1
19x455.50

      07-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #2287
19x
Banned
19x's Avatar
United_States
456
Rep
471
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Į\_(ツ)_/Į

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
We all need to make our own value call.

Driving and washing two M cars weekly with both brake types I find $8k of value in the ease of keeping the CCB wheels clean and not dealing with the rusty steel rotors after each wash.
Also the CCB/763 combo feels more nimble than the steel/666 combo during daily driving.

Just my two cents - if my M2CS was going to the track then for certain 100% would get steels if no track use then would get CCBs. Plus red calipers seem a bit much tbh.
I can understand and agree with everything, except the highlighted part.

Saying that CCB/763 feels more nimble than the steel/666 on the street is absurd IMO. Key words: on the street. I just don't understand how you could ever notice significant handling improvements in that area on a daily-driven car. And even if you did notice a tiny bit of difference, it would never matter in the slightest on a daily-driven car.

Yes, I understand the physics behind unsprung mass, lighter weight, etc. I owned several M3's with lighter wheels and brakes. It makes sense for the track where every little adjustment counts and you're into setting lap times. Otherwise, it reminds me of the because-race-car crowd who believes that no sunroof and cheap coilovers equate to a better-handling car on the street, when in fact it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #2288
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
sdhotwn's Avatar
United_States
452
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wisconsin, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
the limited selection of PCCB pads.
This is also a major concern of mine. Not something I'm super familiar with, but has been in the back of my mind.
__________________
2014 EBII MSport 335i -Delivered 7/12/14
1998 Hellrot M3/4/5
2011 X3
M2 CS (on Glovis Century)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST