BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Squealing noise from rear wheel.

10-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
TM88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Squealing noise from rear wheel.

Hi All

I've had my M2 around few months now and to say I'm really happy with it is an understatement.

I'm a member of a UK M2 forum but thought I would post on here to see if anybody else is having the same issue as me. I had a problem initially with the brake disc becoming slightly scored and a very intermittent squeal while pulling away from standstill and at very low speed. Dealer looked into this and the scoring issue has gone and thought it was all fine. However the squeal has become more apparent.

The sound is exactly like this

(not my video).

Has anyone experienced similar? I does get a little embarrassing pulling away from lights and in car parks

Thanks guys in advance. Ps great forum with some top class info
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Reach behind the brake shield and pull it slightly away from the brakes. Stones and pebbles get caught in there and can create very loud noises. Very common in M cars.

If no pebbles come out and it still doesn’t go away just take it back to the dealer and have them try harder.
DanG10656.00
TM881.50
      10-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
Reach behind the brake shield and pull it slightly away from the brakes. Stones and pebbles get caught in there and can create very loud noises. Very common in M cars.

If no pebbles come out and it still doesn’t go away just take it back to the dealer and have them try harder.
There have been several threads on this subject. It is always a rock or pebble caught in the brake.
Appreciate 1
TM881.50
      10-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
TM88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thank you for the replies. I've heard of the stone issue and tried each of the disc shields but nothing comes out. I thought it sounded slightly different to the sound that the trapped stone makes and it's intermittent. I'll have to take it back in but once again thanks.
Appreciate 1
DanG10656.00
      10-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

I might be nuts or it might be the video, but right at the beginning as soon as the engine starts, you can hear one squeel before the car even starts moving?
      10-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yes and for what it is worth over here, the sound was called "soda can crunch" and mine [ as others ] had a folding soda sound.

This sound rotational obviously, and sounds like twice on one rotation. Sure could be something re: brake shield entrapment, but if you have cleaned that, let the dealer, deal with it. It ought not be. Could be a brake puck out of alignment? Keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM88 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I've heard of the stone issue and tried each of the disc shields but nothing comes out. I thought it sounded slightly different to the sound that the trapped stone makes and it's intermittent. I'll have to take it back in but once again thanks.
We had this during our ED in Europe, and I did a long post about it. Ours wasn't a crunchy sound either, sounded just like brake squeal, only it happened intermittently, only up to 35mph, and only while accelerating and without the brakes engaged. It's a very high pitched whistle squeal.

When you check your brake shield, start at the top at 12 o'clock and work your way around a couple of inches at a time, flexing it back and forth gently. Where there are no pebbles, it will flex easily and without resistance. Where there's a pebble, it will feel like pushing/pulling open a creaky door. Make sure you work your way all the way around. This may not be what you're experiencing but if it is, you'll find the spot where there's a pebble stuck. Whether you see a pebble drop out is another matter, but it's likely you'll hear it hit the ground. Funny thing is, it doesn't have to be big - it can be really tiny and not at all obvious so it's not like you're hunting marbles. It will be something much smaller, at least it was in our case.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Yes and for what it is worth over here, the sound was called "soda can crunch" and mine [ as others ] had a folding soda sound.

This sound rotational obviously, and sounds like twice on one rotation. Sure could be something re: brake shield entrapment, but if you have cleaned that, let the dealer, deal with it. It ought not be. Could be a brake puck out of alignment? Keep us posted...
Ha, soda can crunch is the perfect description!

I heard this for a day or so when I first got mine. Then it just went away. I never reached behind the break shield. If it ever comes back that's going to be my first step.
Appreciate 0