David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
michline PSS are amazing in the rain

yes I have many years of experiences with them.

any tires you push in the rain you will crash
simple
And once you get to half tread remaining. I have 4k miles on mine and I am down to 5/32. Front are still at 9/32. So unless you check your tires regularly, you can hydroplane with any tire.
      08-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #68
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
michline PSS are amazing in the rain

yes I have many years of experiences with them.

any tires you push in the rain you will crash
simple
And once you get to half tread remaining. I have 4k miles on mine and I am down to 5/32. Front are still at 9/32. So unless you check your tires regularly, you can hydroplane with any tire.
Bam!
      08-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #69
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
it's not the tires. it's the very torquey car and the driver was not able to handle it. it may be a "base" M2 but it still packs 370lb/tq on tap. you need to respect your toy.
It may not have been the tires that caused the OP's crash but I can tell you without hesitation that the PS 4's are a much better tire all the way around but *especially* in the rain than the SS's.

I got my car w/ 3500 miles on the clock - inherited the SS's - drove it in the rain a few times and I was like - WTF is wrong w/ this car.

Started to research a better alternative - spoke w/ Rudy at the TireRack - recommended the PS4's which I switched out at 6500 miles.

1st time I drove in a rainstorm - there was a huge difference - no more hydroplaning.

Now have 12K miles on the car - drove in the rain recently and zero problems - all the above in Sport mode.

I'm just trying to help here but, the SS's in the rain are dangerous imo.
Dunno what you are talking about. PSS are NOT dangerous in the rain. PSS are widely known to be one of the best all around summer tires around. Have driven at least 40,000 miles on PSS tires on my 1M and can only say good things about them...even on a car as aggressive as mine. Never once an issue in the rain or otherwise. The PS2s I tried on the other hand; were not so good!

PS4S are surely good but only minimally better by all accounts. They are merely a refinement of the already fantastic PSS.
Have to echo these sentiments...2 cars, both rwd, 3 sets of PSS's and only positive things to say about them.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:06 AM   #70
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'll get myself into a driving course (control oversteer, drifting, sliding) before doing some enthusiastic driving on twisty roads.
      08-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #71
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

The stock contis are awful when they get close to the wear bars even compaired to other similar tires (MPS4s)

Mine have 4200miles on them and the rears are just past the wear bar, they are very very very snappy at the limit - lots of grip then snap oversteer with very little warning unlike most worn out street tires that just have lowered grip levels that progressively get worse as lateral G's increase.

I could see how that could bite OP into a crash if you aren't on your game, or did some drifting / donuts and wore them down expecting similar grip levels as before the session.

They feel very similar to how a slick breaks away on the track just with lower total grip.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #72
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

No one has mentioned the transmission in this thread.

Don't want to start a Manual vs. DCT discussion, however as a driver of manuals (many of them) I feel like I get an extra element of control having a clutch that I don't feel is present when I drive an automatic (always a rental car). This becomes extremely obvious in slippery (e.g. wet, even moreso in snowy) conditions.

Driving an automatic in snow is something I personally find to be somewhat terrifying. I took delivery of my 2013 135is 6MT convertible during a snowstorm in Salt Lake City, from the Carmax there. It had summer RFT tires on it, which I got rid of at the first opportunity. I managed to drive it 250 miles that day, although mostly on dry or wet pavement, after the snowstorm ended and it warmed up a bit. I drove it 20 or 30 miles in snow and slush, and was able to control it without difficulty. I would never have attempted this in an automatic car.

It's like you get a certain kind of feedback through the gearbox and the clutch, and once there is any slippage you just let off the clutch, or downshift, and the problem goes away. Granted, I'm talking mostly about driving in snow; if I was driving really fast in the rain (just wouldn't do that in the snow, period), I'm sure I could lose control, regardless of the transmission.

Last edited by champignon; 08-22-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 4
doug_9992541.50
///M Houbi1653.00
reppucci339.50
      08-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #73
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

Don't want to start a Manual vs. DCT discussion, however as a driver of manuals (many of them) I feel like I get an extra element of control having a clutch that I don't feel is present when I drive an automatic (always a rental car). This becomes extremely obvious in slippery (e.g. wet, even moreso in snowy) conditions.

Driving an automatic in snow is something I personally find to be somewhat terrifying. I took delivery of my 2013 135is 6MT convertible during a snowstorm in Salt Lake City, from the Carmax there. It had summer RFT tires on it, which I got rid of at the first opportunity. I managed to drive it 250 miles that day, although mostly on dry or wet pavement, after the snowstorm ended and it warmed up a bit. I drove it 20 or 30 miles in snow and slush, and was able to control it without difficulty. I would never have attempted this in an automatic car.

It's like you get a certain kind of feedback through the gearbox and the clutch, and once there is any slippage you just let off the clutch, or downshift, and the problem goes away. Granted, I'm talking mostly about driving in snow; if I was driving really fast in the rain (just wouldn't do that in the snow, period), I'm sure I could lose control, regardless of the transmission.
What about dct in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #74
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I think that he is talking about the ability to completely disengage the engine from the drive wheels with the clutch at will and the ability to control re-engagement again subtly. This is the big difference between DCT and manual transmissions. There is no way while driving to disengage the drive of the car. It is either acceleration or deceleration, there is no neutral. It is necessary to use the brakes or engine for that in between neutral momentum. This is nearly impossible, there will always be a bit of acceleration or a bit of deceleration.
Appreciate 1
champignon1565.50
      08-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #75
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I think that he is talking about the ability to completely disengage the engine from the drive wheels with the clutch at will and the ability to control re-engagement again subtly. This is the big difference between DCT and manual transmissions. There is no way while driving to disengage the drive of the car. It is either acceleration or deceleration, there is no neutral. It is necessary to use the brakes or engine for that in between neutral momentum. This is nearly impossible, there will always be a bit of acceleration or a bit of deceleration.
Not true, you can easily go into neutral on the DCT and then back into gear.
BMWM5NYC496.00
      08-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #76
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
The stock contis are awful when they get close to the wear bars even compaired to other similar tires (MPS4s)

Mine have 4200miles on them and the rears are just past the wear bar, they are very very very snappy at the limit - lots of grip then snap oversteer with very little warning unlike most worn out street tires that just have lowered grip levels that progressively get worse as lateral G's increase.

I could see how that could bite OP into a crash if you aren't on your game, or did some drifting / donuts and wore them down expecting similar grip levels as before the session.

They feel very similar to how a slick breaks away on the track just with lower total grip.
I have my stock contis still (6k miles on them). Totally agree with what you said about the snap oversteer. Thing is i've gotten accustomed to it somewhat and find it a lot more predictable than the first time it happened (which was a very scary moment).

I'll be switching to PS4S around 8-10k I presume. It can be fun but it definitely feels a little dangerous when playing in Sport+

In the wet I slide everywhere. Then again I have M4GTS MDM coded in so I'm not sure how much of the tire is to blame for the car moving around so much when It's what I've basically asked the diff to do. I won't actually know how these compare to anything else until I get rid of them so it's really guesswork on my part.

All in all it's not a bad tire but that snap oversteer is very real. Better hope you have two hands on the wheel so you can be quick to catch it.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #77
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Really? Does anyone actually do that while driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #78
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Really? Does anyone actually do that while driving?
Hard to say, but it's easily done.

08-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #79
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Not if you're in 4th gear. It seems to only want to get to neutral from 1st or 2nd.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #80
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Shit happens. We drive an M2 instead of an RS3 because it can scare the crap out of us when we turn everything off. My experience with the M2 is it is utterly effortless to move the back end. More than any other M car I have had. This makes it hugely exciting but also quite risky. Certainly if you want more stability you must replace the tires. There is nowhere near enough tire on this car, unless of course you want fun factor.
      08-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #81
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Shit happens. We drive an M2 instead of an RS3 because it can scare the crap out of us when we turn everything off. My experience with the M2 is it is utterly effortless to move the back end. More than any other M car I have had. This makes it hugely exciting but also quite risky. Certainly if you want more stability you must replace the tires. There is nowhere near enough tire on this car, unless of course you want fun factor.
True. I have just over 4K and I can already tell the back tires are going to need replacement soon enough.
      08-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #82
TheMagician
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

This is on point. Very true for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 02:15 AM   #83
fanshu
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43, 2016 BMW M2

Sorry to hear that, and thanks very much for your sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #84
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I wrecked my first M2 (MG 6MT) in exactly the same way

My fault... Sport+ and too quickly on the throttle after exiting corner.

I couldn't believe what happened! I drove Sport+ all the time, 12000km in 15 months ownership :s

How do I post pictures here?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #85
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd chance View Post
Click the paperclip icon, "Browse", select a picture, and so on, and subsequently "Upload". In your comment click the paperclip icon again to choose the uploaded picture(s).
      08-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #86
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:

I couldn't believe what happened! I drove Sport+ all the time, 12000km in 15 months ownership :s

Was it stored after at Le Couter (Dealership) in Tielt (BE) after?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #87
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Can you please corroborate your statement with a reference to the article ?

Though I know a few things about the M2 and its development, I have never read anywhere what you state.

My M2 got Michelin PSS and later replaced with Michelin PS4S.
I also fitted PS4S on the rear (front still my first set of PSS), but I was surprised they are not available with BMW star approved label... Not big deal, but still could not understand why not?
      08-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #88
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:

In your opinion did you think that the slip angle of sport + (M dynamic) was too much and made you crash because you could not control the car in time? In theory when the slip goes too far in sport + the stability control will also intervene... Could sport/comfort have saved this crash, you think?