BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Fun Facts about the M2 (please contribute)

10-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #155
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Traction and comfort are a no go for this however.

Fun fact: If you floor it like you would to get a normal backfire, let go, and then switch to traction mode quickly, the car will backfire multiple times, not just once. It's pretty crazy sounding and I've been able to do it at lower rpm's then the "standard" method.

1st and 3rd clip are normal backfires. The second one is what I just talked about:

If you do this while the car is still cold it will literally sound like gun fire.
D CHOI581.00
      10-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #156
bluescoupe
motorhead
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
Had a software update done to mine today. It was parked in the dealerships' underground garage and when I went to pick it up the mirrors were folded in.
I was thinking to myself: "man, that engineer really was kind to press the button to fold the mirros up." When I got in, I saw that the mirrors were already down. Then I realized maybe you could control it with the key? So I got out and locked the car again and kept pressing the putton and voila! The mirrors went up automatically.

Never knew that was possible! Maybe a software update thing?
would love to know more about that update...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #157
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Would you like to know what update version mine is now?

Honestly, I don't know whether it did it or not before. I remember trying to open/close my windows once before with the button but can't remember that it worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #158
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
The M2 has a rear end about as wide as the Porsche 911 Turbo.

Love Dat Fat Ass M2 !!
QM287.00
      10-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #159
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Traction and comfort are a no go for this however.

Fun fact: If you floor it like you would to get a normal backfire, let go, and then switch to traction mode quickly, the car will backfire multiple times, not just once. It's pretty crazy sounding and I've been able to do it at lower rpm's then the "standard" method.

1st and 3rd clip are normal backfires. The second one is what I just talked about:

If you do this while the car is still cold it will literally sound like gun fire.
Nice info, didn't know about switching to traction.

FWIW since I did the sport cat I've had double backfires like that in sport as well without switching to traction.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #160
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Would you like to know what update version mine is now?

Honestly, I don't know whether it did it or not before. I remember trying to open/close my windows once before with the button but can't remember that it worked.
They open/roll down with the key from the factory. It's closing them that requires coding to activate. I'm guessing it was done on purpose on North American cars to avoid a potential lawsuit 🙄

Interesting that the seem to have activated the mirror folding/unfolding so late into the f87's production. That was also a code only option until now (if what you're saying is true)
      10-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #161
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

I can make a video if you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #162
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

someone should test this. But a way to start the car in sports or sports plus with the valves open. This works in the m4.

Save Sports plus to M1 or m2 button

Steps:
turn car on (do not start, just turn power on)
Select m1 or m2 (whichever is sports plus)
push gas peddle (you should hear exhaust valves open)
now press brake and start car
you should get a louder more aggressive start up
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #163
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
You are correct... Because American's are Sue Happy!

I was lucky w my old 1er. They would go up or down with the remote and using the key in the drivers door lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
They open/roll down with the key from the factory. It's closing them that requires coding to activate. I'm guessing it was done on purpose on North American cars to avoid a potential lawsuit ��

Interesting that the seem to have activated the mirror folding/unfolding so late into the f87's production. That was also a code only option until now (if what you're saying is true)

Last edited by ///M TOWN; 10-12-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #164
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post
Did it today, works perfectly.
This... could be.. a life-changing moment....
Mid life crisis with pops and burbles.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #165
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
I found a way to create unlimited Burbles and Pops. I tested in Sport+ and was easily able to repeat it every time.

When decelerating and the car begins to drop rpms just past the last “Burble” you need to give the accelerator a quick tap and release. This needs to be barely enough to depress the pedal, it should not cause the car to accelerate but it should cause a split second of rev holding and causes the burbles to begin again. You should hear the accelerator pedal click from tapping and releasing it so fast.

You can repeat this as many times as you want by tapping again as the burbles stop. I am able to carry on for 10-15 seconds just burbling and popping down the street.

This is with standard exhaust and Sport+

Please someone try this and see if you are able to repeat this too
Works in traction mode too. Especially effective when rolling to a stop. You can burble all the way to stop. Also I’ve found this method brings the backfire from a 1/6 chance to a 1/4 chance.

And before anyone says it....yes you look like a douchbag (well to anyone who hates cars), everyone else smiles. Lol.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #166
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFS View Post
Works in traction mode too. Especially effective when rolling to a stop. You can burble all the way to stop. Also I’ve found this method brings the backfire from a 1/6 chance to a 1/4 chance.

And before anyone says it....yes you look like a douchbag (well to anyone who hates cars), everyone else smiles. Lol.
Abslolutely true about the backfire! It’s awesome!

I found that you can use this trick to cause burbles on command. Works great when you spot someone’s window down at a light and want to time the burble and pops right as you roll by them

Let’s say you are decelerating and the pops and burbles have stopped but you are still rolling. At any point you can “re-awaken” the burbles by tapping the gas pedal once. They will begin again and die down as normal unless you keep “re-awakening” them. It takes a second or so to hear the first pop after you tap the pedal so the timing is key!

I usually do this when I see someone checking out the car and it often gets a smile or thumbs up from them. It’s addictive though and you will catch yourself doing it all the time for no reason!
      10-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #167
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Had a software update done to mine today. It was parked in the dealerships' underground garage and when I went to pick it up the mirrors were folded in.
I was thinking to myself: "man, that engineer really was kind to press the button to fold the mirros up." When I got in, I saw that the mirrors were already down. Then I realized maybe you could control it with the key? So I got out and locked the car again and kept pressing the putton and voila! The mirrors went up automatically.
Never knew that was possible! Maybe a software update thing?
Had this since day one (April 2016). If you got comfort access, keep holding your finger on the door handle area to lock the car and the side mirrors will subsequently fold. Once you grab the handle again, the side mirrors will automatically open. And also if you don't have comfort access: if you keep pushing the open/close button on the remote control you can also fully open/close the windows and glass roof from a distance. So you can air the car whilst finishing a drink on a terrace before getting on board on a high-temp day, or close the windows and glass roof from a distance when you notice the first raindrops. No novelty on BMW cars.
      10-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #168
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Had this since day one (April 2016). If you got comfort access, keep holding your finger on the door handle area to lock the car and the side mirrors will subsequently fold. Once you grab the handle again, the side mirrors will automatically open. And also if you don't have comfort access: if you keep pushing the open/close button on the remote control you can also fully open/close the windows and glass roof from a distance. So you can air the car whilst finishing a drink on a terrace before getting on board on a high-temp day, or close the windows and glass roof from a distance when you notice the first raindrops. No novelty on BMW cars.
These features are both region specific, and coded differently based on where you bought the car.

In the US, mirror folding and window closure is coded out by default; only window opening is available to use without coding.

Obviously, all of this can be coded in, including adjustable delays for how long you have to hold the door handle / key-fob buttons etc.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #169
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
These features are both region specific, and coded differently based on where you bought the car.
In the US, mirror folding and window closure is coded out by default; only window opening is available to use without coding.
Obviously, all of this can be coded in, including adjustable delays for how long you have to hold the door handle / key-fob buttons etc.
Try if "Convenient Opening/Closing" works:

10-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #170
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

If you use heated steering wheel, the lane departure vibration wont work!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #171
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
If you use heated steering wheel, the lane departure vibration wont work!
Just tested this today, I don't have this issue. Turned on both heated steering wheel + lane departure and both heating and vibration worked fine.
Appreciate 1
2+3=5285.00
      10-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #172
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Try if "Convenient Opening/Closing" works:
Convenient Opening works on US cars as stock; convenient closing does not. I've coded my car though so it works for me of course. Like I said, it's region specific.

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
2+3=5285.00
      10-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #173
Nezil
Major
Rep

All the talk of the burbles / pops / backfires I find very funny. I can't deny that it sounds entertaining, but I also can't help thinking that it's so very synthetic.

I don't mean that it's part of the ASD, I mean that it's part of the engine tune. Any car, including a bog standard Camry can be made to burble on over-run, it's just about the tune.

Older vehicles had things like mechanical timing advance, and carburetted fuel systems, which sometimes caused burbles pops and bangs as a side effect of the engine control systems being too crude. These days, our engine control systems can adjust timing and fuelling (and other parameters) so quickly that they can be much much more efficient.

Over-run burbles are achieved simply by continuing to supply a little fuel when you lift off, combined with positive timing (after top dead centre). At this point, the fuel ignites while the exhaust valve is open, causing the pops and bangs etc.

In your typical Camry, the fuel is cut on over-run, and the timing is therefore irrelevant. You don't use fuel and you don't cause burbles.

Knowing this explains why you can get the burbles to start up again easily; it's just a program in the engine management that runs for a few seconds and then stops. It also explains why tunes like BM3 offer customisable burble intensity and duration.

I realise that there is a fringe benefit of potentially reducing turbo lag by having over-run burbles, but for the most part, it's all about obnoxious noise!

Appreciate 1
bmxcamel552.50
      10-22-2018, 01:00 PM   #174
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2maniac View Post
There is a secret deep compartment in the door for holding your glasses case.
where is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #175
Nezil
Major
Rep

I discovered a new one yesterday...

Obviously you all know that there is a mini 'tool kit wrap', if you can call it that, in the trunk. Well the screwdriver in that kit has a reversible blade for Philips / Slotted head, which isn't that unusual. What is unusual is that the plastic handle has two different hex cut outs either end which can act as nut drivers!

One other thing... There is a little pocket in the tool kit wrap that fits a locking wheel bolt key.

Appreciate 1
bmxcamel552.50
      10-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #176
m2for2
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
The end of your turn signal has two buttons which toggle different information on your gauge cluster (including engine temp).

The steering wheel heating button is located on the steering column.

Both of these took me a while to find.
Took me so long to finally figure out how to display engine temp. Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0