BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Let's discuss the BMW "M2 CS" rumor: will there be a hardcore M2 variant 2019/2020 ?

10-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #2157
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Does not look like the M2 CSL will be here until very late in 2020 or early 2021 assuming one can get an allocation. M2 competition looks to be the more immediate M2. Interested to hear about M2 Racing version in 2020.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #2158
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Update!

Is It You BMW M2 CSL?!

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1543417
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #2159
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Of course, mostly interested to know whether this test mule features the (since long) rumored 450hp output (S55 engine).

From outside, this seems to be a "regular" M2 Competition featuring several of the M2/M2C M Performance Parts announced last Spring (see here and here).

Black 763M wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (no surprise either).

Several M Performance carbon fiber parts got white camo tape (instead of the usual swirls camo tape): CF splitter (BMW part # 51192449476), CF hood (BMW part # 41612449807), double-bubble CF roof (BMW part # 41312460277) and CF trunk spoiler (BMW part # 41622460277), except for the CF diffusor (BMW part # 51192361666).

Only one exterior novelty to my eyes: Carbon Ceramic Brakes on an F87. The M2 MotoGP Safety Car (2016) featured prototype CCB's (see here).

Wondering whether, during further progress, BMW M:
  • will add the M Performance Parts CF fenders (BMW part # 41352449803 & 41352449804) and the M Performance Exhaust (likely different for EURO-spec because of tight EU emissions regulations);
  • will keep the CF trunk spoiler or replace it with a fully integrated one (remember the E46 M3 CSL 'ducktail' trunk lid design, which was made of sheet molding compound);
  • will keep the M Performance splitter or replace it with a fully integrated one (but not as big as the M4 GTS splitter), as featured in this render posted in August 2016:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
An M2 is testing a new aerodynamic aid similar to this.

Also referred to in this 2017 post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Here's my guess.

It has been confirmed in Summer 2016 that "an M2 model is testing a new aerodynamic aid similar to this".

So, if the M2 CS is supposed to get a bolted-on or integrated 'splitter' (front lip à la BMW GT6 Vision Concept) for aerodynamics and design reasons...

Compare with the M2/M2C M Performance Parts splitter:

10-09-2018, 02:30 PM   #2160
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Wondering whether, during further progress, BMW M:
  • will add the M Performance Parts CF fenders (BMW part # 41352449803 & 41352449804) and the M Performance Exhaust (likely different for EURO-spec because of tight EU emissions regulations);
  • will keep the CF trunk spoiler or replace it with a fully integrated one (remember the E46 M3 CSL 'ducktail' trunk lid design, which was made of sheet molding compound);
  • will keep the M Performance splitter or replace it with a fully integrated one (but not as big as the M4 GTS splitter), as featured in this render posted in August 2016:
The trunk spoiler on this test mule is new (M3/M4 CS style) and currently not available.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #2161
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
The trunk spoiler on this test mule is new (M3/M4 CS style) and currently not available.
Here's the M2/M2C M Performance Parts CF trunk spoiler (BMW part # 41622460277):

Compare with the mystery M2C CF trunk spoiler:

10-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #2162
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Here's the M2/M2C M Performance Parts CF trunk spoiler (BMW part # 41622460277):
[PICTURE]
[PICTURE]
What you referenced is the CF trunk lid. The test mule has the standard trunk lid with CS style CF spoiler. Totally different...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #2163
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
[PICTURE]
[PICTURE]
They're different.

On the CF trunk, follow the line right above the tail-light. It goes in to the integrated spoiler.

On the Test mule, that line continues to the other taillight as normal and the spoiler sits above it like on the M3/4 CS.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #2164
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
What you referenced is the CF trunk lid. The test mule has the standard trunk lid with CS style CF spoiler. Totally different...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
They're different.
On the CF trunk, follow the line right above the tail-light. It goes in to the integrated spoiler.
On the Test mule, that line continues to the other taillight as normal and the spoiler sits above it like on the M3/4 CS.
Got it. Further progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The biggest indication that this is not just an M2 Competition model fitted with M Performance Parts are its M Carbon Ceramic Brakes, which are not available (either as option nor M Performance Part) on the M2 Competition. Its trunk spoiler is also unique - different than the M Performance version and not yet seen before.
      10-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #2165
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
[PICTURE]
[PICTURE]
M4 CS spy pic.

Same CS add on lip spoiler.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #2166
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
"EXCLUSIVE: BMW M2 CS production to kick off in March 2020

BMW M2 CS production is planned for March 2020 in a limited run.

Yesterday, the BMW world was taken by surprise when an M2 test mule was spotted at the Nurburgring for some testing. The prototype spotted featured a more aggressive body kit, thanks to some parts that could be found in the M Performance catalog. While we can’t say for sure that this is indeed the future M2 CS, it is certainly interesting that BMW continues to stress test the M2 on the most demanding track in the world.

Yet, what we can say with a high degree of confidence is that BMW M is indeed planning a more hardcore version of their M2 Competition model which is scheduled to arrive in 2020.

While many of the media, including us, have labeled the new M2 as the CSL model, in fact, the upcoming, limited super-sporty M2 will carry the M2 CS badge on its boot. This falls in line with the other CS models of the M family – M3 CS, M4 CS – so it comes as no surprise that the CS name was reserved for the M2 as well.

The other thing we can reveal today is that the production of the new BMW M2 CS is scheduled to begin in March 2020 which should give the car about a year run before the production of the M2 makes room for the next generation. At this time, we don’t know the number of M2 CS planned, but we can assume that it would be fairly limited, just like the M3 CS and M4 CS were before.

Launching a BMW M2 CS makes sense, as shedding some weight off the M2 wouldn’t be extremely hard to do and it would offer more adrenaline to the customers. The S55 engine could also deliver a bit more power or torque, to make the car even faster.

And while we always crave the next and best, the current M2 Competition is more than capable to satisfy that hunger of performance and driving dynamics we expect from an M car, so in our opinion, it’s still one of the best BMWs you can buy today. - BMWBLOG
"
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #2167
Artemis
Rep

Interesting:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
When and IF you see the CSL/GTS, you will not have doubts regarding what car it is.
This is the CS which has been mostly ready for a while now. Some of the videos we saw last year and assumed was the M2 Competition was really the CS without the external bits. I had already mentioned earlier that the CS was actually developed for a lot longer than the M2 Competition which was basically a straight engine swap.
These photos that we're seeing now are just to drive up the hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The schedule is quite tight especially when you have the second generation 2er arriving afterwards , although the second generation M2 is still far,far away,
It makes more sense for CS
Its either the M4 or The M8 that will introduce the first modern CSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
Just got a phone call.
M2 CS delivery in late May 2019.
Offered in SMB [San Marino Blue Metallic], Black [Black Sapphire Black Metallic], "a grey" and frozen SMB [Frozen Dark Blue II as M4 CS ?]. Which grey? I said. "I can't read my notes, it's not Mineral though." [Lime Rock Grey as M4 CS ?]
Will have CF bonnet, roof, boot, guards.
763M wheels in grey and Cup 2 tyres.
Ceramics optional otherwise M2 (?) brakes [2NH brakes ?]
Doors cards, centre console, dash insert, wheel, seats, all as per M4 CS essentially.
Lighter air con (not sure what this means?)
Has back seats.
About 30 more HP
Suspension, diff, aids all retuned more aggressively.
DCT ONLY
So, paying all this money for expensive carbon bits just to be forced to use the heavier [gear] box I don't want? I said. No response.
Limited production. We will only get 2 or 3 nationwide [New Zealand] (based on that and other similar limited runs, indicates to me 2000-3000 worldwide)
Price $180's (NZD) (M2C price is $120's NZD, so this indicates closer to 50% premium)
That's all I know.
      10-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #2168
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
These photos make me want to hold off on the M2 trunk lid spoiler and wait for the new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #2169
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
These photos make me want to hold off on the M2 trunk lid spoiler and wait for the new one.
I don't know about you but I can't wait 2 for a spoiler I'll just sell my M Performance spoiler and get the new one when it's out.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #2170
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
"EXCLUSIVE: BMW M2 CS production to kick off in March 2020

BMW M2 CS production is planned for March 2020 in a limited run.

Yesterday, the BMW world was taken by surprise when an M2 test mule was spotted at the Nurburgring for some testing. The prototype spotted featured a more aggressive body kit, thanks to some parts that could be found in the M Performance catalog. While we can’t say for sure that this is indeed the future M2 CS, it is certainly interesting that BMW continues to stress test the M2 on the most demanding track in the world.

Yet, what we can say with a high degree of confidence is that BMW M is indeed planning a more hardcore version of their M2 Competition model which is scheduled to arrive in 2020.

While many of the media, including us, have labeled the new M2 as the CSL model, in fact, the upcoming, limited super-sporty M2 will carry the M2 CS badge on its boot. This falls in line with the other CS models of the M family – M3 CS, M4 CS – so it comes as no surprise that the CS name was reserved for the M2 as well.

The other thing we can reveal today is that the production of the new BMW M2 CS is scheduled to begin in March 2020 which should give the car about a year run before the production of the M2 makes room for the next generation. At this time, we don’t know the number of M2 CS planned, but we can assume that it would be fairly limited, just like the M3 CS and M4 CS were before.

Launching a BMW M2 CS makes sense, as shedding some weight off the M2 wouldn’t be extremely hard to do and it would offer more adrenaline to the customers. The S55 engine could also deliver a bit more power or torque, to make the car even faster.

And while we always crave the next and best, the current M2 Competition is more than capable to satisfy that hunger of performance and driving dynamics we expect from an M car, so in our opinion, it’s still one of the best BMWs you can buy today. - BMWBLOG
"
This would be perfect timing for me as my current lease is up in August 2020. While the car is a beast, I don't know if I'd do another 2 seater grand tourer. It doesn't have that nimble playfullness of a lighter car.

Still #1 on the list for this thing. Nutty that I'll have gotten on a wait list 4 yrs prior to production.

Funny thing is that the next gen M2 will likely surpass this CS model in base form with a tune. The next gen 3 series seems to be a significant improvement over current generation. Any thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #2171
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I don't know about you but I can't wait 2 for a spoiler I'll just sell my M Performance spoiler and get the new one when it's out.
It basically look very similar to the rear spoiler by AC Schnitzer.

Forum member CryptoM2 has it on this M2.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23479751
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #2172
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
It basically look very similar to the rear spoiler by AC Schnitzer.

Forum member CryptoM2 has it on this M2.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23479751
This doesn't look nearly as good IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #2173
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
This doesn't look nearly as good IMO.
It's to do with the wide angle perspective when the photos were taken.

If one walk further away from the car and zoom in to take the photo they actually look very similar.

The AC Schnitzer version may even be a touch taller...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #2174
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I know that deck spoilers are all about looks, but I want one that is aerodynamically tested so it isn't a drag on the car. Do any of the aftermarket spoilers ever show their actual utility? I'm pretty confident that BMW has tested theirs in a wind tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #2175
Artemis
Rep

And the beat goes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Spotted!

10-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #2176
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And the beat goes on.
This looks very nice and very aggressive. Hopefully it will be about $85K. Next 911 looks to be unveiled in late November and may have a price increase as well on top of the $10 - $15K in options.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #2177
mikeahso
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: various

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:
And the beat goes on.
This looks very nice and very aggressive. Hopefully it will be about $85K. Next 911 looks to be unveiled in late November and may have a price increase as well on top of the $10 - $15K in options.
No one is cross shopping a CSL and a 992 C2. They're two very different buyers.

With respect, if I need to explain why, then you're not a CSL buyer.

Not everyone buys M cars as stepping stones to P cars. Some of us M owners are/were P owners.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #2178
RPM33
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
No one is cross shopping a CSL and a 992 C2. They're two very different buyers.

With respect, if I need to explain why, then you're not a CSL buyer.

Not everyone buys M cars as stepping stones to P cars. Some of us M owners are/were P owners.
Please explain Mike. I'm comparing the M2 CS to a Porsche 911 Carrera/Carrera S.
Appreciate 0