BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Allocation Question and ED

08-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Allocation Question and ED

I've been talking to my BMW dealer on doing a ED on a M2C in June or so of 2019. My SA is saying it's too early, and I'm not sure what to believe. I have stressed the importance of the timing and how I'm willing to give a deposit immediately to ensure I get the car at the time that I want at the ED price (% discount on MSRP). He continues to assure me this is no problem but I have nothing but his work to go on. I've even told him that if they can't do it, let me know and I'll look elsewhere.

So my question is, how the hell do dealers get allocations and are they for specific cars (like 1 M2, 3 X5's, 2 6 series, etc) or do they get a bulk number of allocations they can distribute as they want?

Does what my SA is telling me sound correct based on other's experiences?

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm currently thinking of asking for something in writing in order to have some assurances, but I don't know how far that would even hold up should they change their mind....

Any thoughts are appreciated!
2015 Scion FR-S
Coming soon - 2019 M2 Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Aloha James, Like you, I wanted a specific date for ED. And like you, it was far in advance. My name was on a waitlist (Jan 2016) 7-8 months prior to the first M2 being delivered to Hawaii and I wanted my ED in May of 2017.

My SA took a $1k deposit from me and told me, I was #20 on the list, but May of 2017 ED should not be a problem. I was skeptical, because if you do the math, quite a few would have to drop out for me to make it (dealer allocation averaged about 1 M2 per month). He assured me not to worry, as from his past experience 2/3 of the people on the waitlist will drop out. He informed me that when they have an allocation, they only need about 6 weeks notice for ED to be set up (cars are made in Germany, so no shipping time involved).

He was correct, as time drew closer, he had to move me down a spot on the list twice, to get the timing correct for my May ED. My SA was an experienced guy and all I had was his word. There was no contract signed initially for ED or ED pricing, as I guess it was too far in advance. I did get the ED price and everything worked out beautifully.

I doubt the M2C will have anywhere near the waitlist that I had to go through, so having a dealer commit to ED 10 months in advance, might be hard thing for them to do.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will turn out as well as yours did!
2015 Scion FR-S
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Aloha James, Like you, I wanted a specific date for ED. And like you, it was far in advance. My name was on a waitlist (Jan 2016) 7-8 months prior to the first M2 being delivered to Hawaii and I wanted my ED in May of 2017.

My SA took a $1k deposit from me and told me, I was #20 on the list, but May of 2017 ED should not be a problem. I was skeptical, because if you do the math, quite a few would have to drop out for me to make it (dealer allocation averaged about 1 M2 per month). He assured me not to worry, as from his past experience 2/3 of the people on the waitlist will drop out. He informed me that when they have an allocation, they only need about 6 weeks notice for ED to be set up (cars are made in Germany, so no shipping time involved).

He was correct, as time drew closer, he had to move me down a spot on the list twice, to get the timing correct for my May ED. My SA was an experienced guy and all I had was his word. There was no contract signed initially for ED or ED pricing, as I guess it was too far in advance. I did get the ED price and everything worked out beautifully.

I doubt the M2C will have anywhere near the waitlist that I had to go through, so having a dealer commit to ED 10 months in advance, might be hard thing for them to do.
A good BMW CA who really knows the ED process is worth their weight in gold. I can attest to this since I've done 5 EDs.
      08-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Who did you use? I'm hoping to do just ONE euro delivery! LOL. I'm patient and know what I want so it will happen. Just would rather it happen locally and without much stress.
2015 Scion FR-S
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
Who did you use? I'm hoping to do just ONE euro delivery! LOL. I'm patient and know what I want so it will happen. Just would rather it happen locally and without much stress.
Memphica,

not sure if it's kosher to post a link to another site... but it helped me tremendously: https://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/inde...opean_Delivery

Some of it is a little out dated but I found myself referencing it constantly as I had to drive out of state for my order.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks!
2015 Scion FR-S
Appreciate 0