BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > CEL - Electronic Wastegate Malfunction

10-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
Soren535
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS

Unhappy CEL - Electronic Wastegate Malfunction

Has anyone else experienced an Electronic Wastegate Malfunction yet?

After an amazing European Delivery back in late August my M2C finally arrived at the dealer this morning and was ready for pickup. I was so very excited, until a second call came to tell me that the CEL was for an Electronic Wastegate Malfunction. I'm still waiting for more details from the dealership about what warranty work will be required.

While in Germany I kept it under 5500 rpm and 170 km/h until I could get enough km's racked up to take it to Cologne for a break-in service. Straight from the service it was off to Nurburgring where I put in 12 laps of Nordschleife over 3 days... no CEL (and the car performed amazingly). It was on the LAST day of my trip when I had over 3400 km on the odometer that it came on during highway driving. The CEL was solid so I did not address it immediately as instructed by the manual "Have the vehicle inspected as soon as possible". My drop off time was fast approaching so I said goodbye in Munich where the long wait began and figured once it got back home they'd tell me the CEL was something simple like a loose sensor or gas cap open. The car did not behave any differently for the few hours I was driving with the CEL on.

Searching here and on the F8X/F2X forums I haven't found many similar incidents, especially at such low km's on a stock engine. From what I can find this failure is more common with the N55, more so with tuned engines.

I hope the rest of you don't have to deal with this headache so soon.

Update 2019-10-30:

Warranty work covered replacement of the waste gate actuator on the bank 2 turbo unit. Turn around time was about 3 business days, car is driving fine and CEL free
Attached Images

Last edited by Soren535; 10-30-2018 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #2
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren535 View Post
Has anyone else experienced an Electronic Wastegate Malfunction yet?

After an amazing European Delivery back in late August my M2C finally arrived at the dealer this morning and was ready for pickup. I was so very excited, until a second call came to tell me that the CEL was for an Electronic Wastegate Malfunction. I'm still waiting for more details from the dealership about what warranty work will be required.

While in Germany I kept it under 5500 rpm and 170 km/h until I could get enough km's racked up to take it to Cologne for a break-in service. Straight from the service it was off to Nurburgring where I put in 12 laps of Nordschleife over 3 days... no CEL (and the car performed amazingly). It was on the LAST day of my trip when I had over 3400 km on the odometer that it came on during highway driving. The CEL was solid so I did not address it immediately as instructed by the manual "Have the vehicle inspected as soon as possible". My drop off time was fast approaching so I said goodbye in Munich where the long wait began and figured once it got back home they'd tell me the CEL was something simple like a loose sensor or gas cap open. The car did not behave any differently for the few hours I was driving with the CEL on.

Searching here and on the F8X/F2X forums I haven't found many similar incidents, especially at such low km's on a stock engine. From what I can find this failure is more common with the N55, more so with tuned engines.

I hope the rest of you don't have to deal with this headache so soon.
Sounds like a Monday morning, Friday afternoon issue... You have warranty so go to your dealer and get it sorted

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Soren535
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Sounds like a Monday morning, Friday afternoon issue... You have warranty so go to your dealer and get it sorted

MR
It never left the dealer, it was off the truck and straight into the shop

Still waiting on an update from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
It never left the dealer, it was off the truck and straight into the shop

Still waiting on an update from them.
Keep us posted!

MR
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Yeah keep us updated. Following warranty or not has nothing to do with this. Most likely a simple issue and hopefully gets fixed quickly. Let us know what parts they changed!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
kmuk2005
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition (HS, DCT)

might be completely unrelated but i've had 2 CEL's in less than 70 miles on my car - not a happy camper at the moment!! Still at the dealer who are running tests - will keep you updated

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544815
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Soren535
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I got my car back last night

At this time I don't have any paper work to show the exact parts that were replaced. But I was told it was turbo bank 2 waste gate actuator that was faulty. Instructions from BMW were to replace the entire bank 2 turbo unit if replacing only the actuator did not clear the CEL. Thankfully it appears the actuator replacement has fixed the problem.

Image of the turbo system attached. The left turbo in this image is the one that had the actuator failure (bank 2, cylinders 4-6). I believe it was only item #6 replaced, part #11657850453. I will try to confirm this with the technician.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6523.00
MMMBRAP975.50
      10-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Awesome, I am glad its fixed and you can enjoy your car now.

Let us know what part numbers were replaced when you are certain. Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
I got my car back last night

At this time I don't have any paper work to show the exact parts that were replaced. But I was told it was turbo bank 2 waste gate actuator that was faulty. Instructions from BMW were to replace the entire bank 2 turbo unit if replacing only the actuator did not clear the CEL. Thankfully it appears the actuator replacement has fixed the problem.

Image of the turbo system attached. The left turbo in this image is the one that had the actuator failure (bank 2, cylinders 4-6). I believe it was only item #6 replaced, part #11657850453. I will try to confirm this with the technician.
Glad to hear this was sorted out with no major issue Soren.

But it's frustrating to have this happen to a brand new car!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Soren535
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Awesome, I am glad its fixed and you can enjoy your car now.

Let us know what part numbers were replaced when you are certain. Thanks for the update.
I confirmed with the service department, only the waste gate actuator was replaced on bank 2. See attached images.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0