BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Euro Delivery in the Dead of Winter

10-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Ah ok so even if there's no snow but ice I have to rent M+S all season/winter tires, correct? Makes me not want to drive the car at all for the 3 days I'm there. May as well just rent a car, probably costs the same as renting the snow tires and saves a bunch of hassle.
If you just stayed local and didn't venture into the mountains you'd probably be ok, but what is the fun in that. I promise you driving in Munich is not fun when you don't know the roads.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #24
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If you just stayed local and didn't venture into the mountains you'd probably be ok, but what is the fun in that. I promise you driving in Munich is not fun when you don't know the roads.
Yeah I did it in 2015, it was a mess just getting out of town with the BMW Nav and google maps.

I'm thinking about just renting a car from the welt. To rent a M2 for a weekend it's only 323 euros which is the same as renting tires for my M2 and much more convenient. Has anyone rented a car from BMW Welt before?

https://portal.bmw-on-demand.de/inde...isplay#pricing
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Yeah I did it in 2015, it was a mess just getting out of town with the BMW Nav and google maps.

I'm thinking about just renting a car from the welt. To rent a M2 for a weekend it's only 323 euros which is the same as renting tires for my M2 and much more convenient. Has anyone rented a car from BMW Welt before?

That's a great idea, why not treat yourself to an M6
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #26
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's a great idea, why not treat yourself to an M6
I'll see what's avail, it looks like they only open up dates for the current month and next month. Currently Dec and beyond is not avail to book yet so I'll have to wait till Dec to book for Jan.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #27
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Renting also seems like a better option to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #28
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Got an email back from BMW on Demand, they allow you to book only 28 days in advance so I'll have to check back in Dec
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #29
-G-
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

FYI - the ED Winter Tires shop does not have anything for the big brakes of the competition. He told me he might be willing to buy a set if he gets enough interest . . . so send inquiries!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #30
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
My ED has been set for 2/15/19 and here is the response I got from edwintertires.com:

Quote:
Dear Mr Watters,

Thank you for completing the on-line reservation form, but unfortunately we
do not stock Winter tires & wheels for the BW M2-competition model, so we have none for rental.

As far as I am aware, there is nobody else who offers a Winter tires rental
service.

Kind regards

John Lance
www.edwintertires.com
I also received this from my BMW ED via my sales guy:
Quote:
Hello Robin,

Unfortunately ED winter tires is a separate entity from BMW, so we have no say in the tires they keep in stock.

The customer can certainly try to search online for other tire rentals if they are available, but ED winter tires is the only vendor that we currently recommend. It is a requirement by law in some countries to have winter or all-season tires on the vehicle during the winter months of October 15th- April 15th.

The only time the customer would not need to have said tires is if they were not driving the vehicle but leaving it at the Welt for transport the day of delivery.

Thank you,
BMW Group
So now what the heck do I do? Fly in, pick up, and fly back home? Granted the $3k savings is worth it since I can fly for free on miles, but I was looking forward to at least a weekend driving in Germany.

Suggestions?
      12-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #31
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
My ED has been set for 2/15/19 and here is the response I got from edwintertires.com:

I also received this from my BMW ED via my sales guy:
So now what the heck do I do? Fly in, pick up, and fly back home? Granted the $3k savings is worth it since I can fly for free on miles, but I was looking forward to at least a weekend driving in Germany.

Suggestions?
Rent a car from BMW welt, they already have winter tires on them and the rate for a weekend is less than the rip off price that EDwintertires charges just to rent wheel/tires.

BTW I don't see why they would need to rent you M2 competition specific wheels, you should be able to use any M3/M4 and OG M2 or most any 19" BMW wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #32
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Rent a car from BMW welt, they already have winter tires on them and the rate for a weekend is less than the rip off price that EDwintertires charges just to rent wheel/tires.

BTW I don't see why they would need to rent you M2 competition specific wheels, you should be able to use any M3/M4 and OG M2 or most any 19" BMW wheel.
I was told that the US spec brakes require specific wheels and they currently don't have any. The volume of winter deliveries isn't high enough for the rental company to justify buying a set.

I've arranged to do the pickup/dropoff same day at BMW Welt. Going to be a short trip this time, but I visit Bavaria a couple of times a year for work, so I'm only missing driving my car on the Autobahn.
      12-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #33
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I rented from Welt a couple of times in the past. Painless and easy with a much more generous km allowance than rental companies for similar vehicles. Once an E90 M3 and another an F80. Longest I did was a full weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #34
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Yes I rented from Welt a couple of times in the past. Painless and easy with a much more generous km allowance than rental companies for similar vehicles. Once an E90 M3 and another an F80. Longest I did was a full weekend.
Do you remember what the daily/weekend KM allowance is? It's not listed on their site.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #35
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Quote:
Do you remember what the daily/weekend KM allowance is? It's not listed on their site.
The times I did it, it was 150 km per hour allowance. For a daytime booking you are charged for 3 hours and can have it from 9 to 5. The overnight is also charged the same. So for a 24 hour booking you pay for 6 hours and get 6*150 allowance.

Their model is set up for folks to get a taste of these cars for an hour here and there but you can definitely book much longer. Works out great as most rental companies allow 250km per day for these cars.

I don't see it specified now how much you get per hour but the model is still structured the same, just whether the allowance is still 150/hr I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #36
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The times I did it, it was 150 km per hour allowance. For a daytime booking you are charged for 3 hours and can have it from 9 to 5. The overnight is also charged the same. So for a 24 hour booking you pay for 6 hours and get 6*150 allowance.

Their model is set up for folks to get a taste of these cars for an hour here and there but you can definitely book much longer. Works out great as most rental companies allow 250km per day for these cars.

I don't see it specified now how much you get per hour but the model is still structured the same, just whether the allowance is still 150/hr I am not sure.
Wow nice so 900km per day. I'll have the car 2 days so that's 1,800 KM or 1118 miles, no way I'll be able to drive that much in 2 days.
Appreciate 0