BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Would you modify your OEM cat?

01-25-2018, 12:31 PM   #23
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
Well why you just let them make their own decision rather than being so negative something you have not done and know nothing about? Try and be civil here, why would I lie about what I have done? I'm just trying to inform my fellow members on a viable option and from there its up to them what they do. Makes no difference to me.
Just to add to that I was one who designed the custom 10,1 CP pistons on a closed deck block for the 370z and now used for the gtr's. Here is my z I built from last year with a 6466 twin scroll on 93 oct..
I’m advising them not to, that’s all. Their choice. Seems pretty civil here from my end.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #24
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
2500 on mine with 0 issues. The sound is deeper and I can feel a bit more torque on the butt dyno. No worries when I take it in for service because the oem cat there. The aftermarkets cats offered have failure issues so research. Easy mod, save $1000. A few of us pioneers have already done this mod with Great success so sit back and watch the Trolls do what they do best.. Tehboost is worried about the venders here instead of its own members. This is really a great diy mod but the companies that sell aftermarket cats don't want people to do this because it would hurt their sales. Hey no one is twisting anyones arm here to do it. Like I said before me and a few others have already done it and speak of Facts based on what has already been done rather than an opinion of people talking about things they know nothing about. One of the best mods I have done to my m2 besides disabling the asd.. Let the haters hate..
PEACE!!!!! ><///`>
Dude... wow.

ALL catalytic converters fail as some point in their life. I guarantee that a Third Party manufactures the OEM BMW cat. Just like every other fucking car manufacturer. If the aftermarket catalyst is quality, it has the same propensity to fail as your OEM one. If you're running higher boost, increases propensity to fail. If you're running E85, increases propensity to fail. If you're running leaded fuel, propensity to fail increases. You know absolute dogshit about cars apparently.

Yes, you saved yourself $1000 on the front end, but potentially cost yourself much more on the back end, for no PROVEN gain, and a VERY REAL chance of fucking up a very expensive piece to replace. You do realize that you could have SOLD your catalyst for a lot of money if you didn't destroy it with a screwdriver, right?

Let's also not mention the fact that you could also have potential NVH issues as well due to material rattling around in your pipe. If you wanted a cheap fix, buy 2 flanges, buy some tubing, and weld them together to make a fucking downpipe with your own two hands.

Also, readers looking in, PLEASE DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET.

Last edited by TampaF87; 01-25-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #25
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, C63s, 718 Cayman GT4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol why are you so mad? Your childess response has been reported to please tone it down and change it. There's no reason to act like this..
Because anecdotal evidence doesn't amount to any proof. Saying "because I told you so and because it worked for me" doesn't mean it's valid. Correlation does not mean causation.

We're simply arguing against your claim, and now the burden of proof is on you. Until that happens, you saying "I did x so it means y" is just noise. You get upset when everyone argues against you, calling them haters (which, honestly, is something stubborn children do, disagreeing with someone =/= hater or a troll), but at the same time once we bring up justification, you fail to do so.

Last edited by Yiruna; 01-25-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      01-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #26
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Well DON"T DO IT THEN AND STOP ASKING ABOUT IT!!!! EASY..
Then don't be surprised when you find opposition from the "haters" to what you're saying if you don't provide evidence. Or just don't advertise it.
      01-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #27
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Can we all just get along!!! let the guy be, mod the way he wants to mod his car

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

To answer the question on the subject line. If there was some cat cutting specific scissors then for sure I'd use them and make myself my own catless dp. Why spend $400-500 for someone who did what someone else mentioned, two flanges and a pipe welded together. If you disregard what a cat does for the environment (it's only purpose) , a catted dp is just going to slow down the exhaust flow. I've never heard of a high performance car that wants to slow that down. I've read a few people gut the inside of the mufflers for faster exhaust flow and not get the same flak this guy is getting.

What Brooke did seems very plausible with the right tools and knowledge. I do question his particular cat as he used a screwdriver, but he must have done a really good and careful job as he states his doesn't have an issue. I don't have the time nor the balls to use a screwdriver on my oem dp, that and my Wagner unit is working just fine.

My question for you guys is, as far as performance gains, if he was able to completely decat his oem dp, would there still be an argument about performance gains?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #29
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I knew it was only a matter of time before brooke1972 and his uninformed opinions masquerading as facts to find this thread...

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
To answer the question on the subject line. If there was some cat cutting specific scissors then for sure I'd use them and make myself my own catless dp. Why spend $400-500 for someone who did what someone else mentioned, two flanges and a pipe welded together. If you disregard what a cat does for the environment (it's only purpose) , a catted dp is just going to slow down the exhaust flow. I've never heard of a high performance car that wants to slow that down. I've read a few people gut the inside of the mufflers for faster exhaust flow and not get the same flak this guy is getting.

What Brooke did seems very plausible with the right tools and knowledge. I do question his particular cat as he used a screwdriver, but he must have done a really good and careful job as he states his doesn't have an issue. I don't have the time nor the balls to use a screwdriver on my oem dp, that and my Wagner unit is working just fine.

My question for you guys is, as far as performance gains, if he was able to completely decat his oem dp, would there still be an argument about performance gains?
If he gutted it completely (removed both cats in the downpipe), then I don’t think it’d be any different than a catless downpipe. So no, no argument. I still wouldn’t do it as the inside of the downpipe may not be as smooth. But a catless downpipe costs $200-400, and you’d be out an additional $1200+ just to replace the stock downpipe when it comes time to smog/selling the car.

But he removed only one section of the cat (2 piece cat), and is comparing it to say a 200 cell catted downpipe you’d purchase, in that case a high flow catted downpipe would be better than this “mod”. Which is what everyone is basically trying to say.

He can do whatever he wants, everyone is just making sure no one else does this without knowing the risks. Along with his claims with nothing to back it up, isn’t fair to others reading this thread and potentially thinking about doing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #31
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
If he gutted it completely (removed both cats in the downpipe), then I don’t think it’d be any different than a catless downpipe. So no, no argument. I still wouldn’t do it as the inside of the downpipe may not be as smooth. But a catless downpipe costs $200-400, and you’d be out an additional $1200+ just to replace the stock downpipe when it comes time to smog/selling the car.

But he removed only one section of the cat (2 piece cat), and is comparing it to say a 200 cell catted downpipe you’d purchase, in that case a high flow catted downpipe would be better than this “mod”. Which is what everyone is basically trying to say.

He can do whatever he wants, everyone is just making sure no one else does this without knowing the risks. Along with his claims with nothing to back it up, isn’t fair to others reading this thread and potentially thinking about doing this.
This is basically all I'm trying to say. I don't care if he gutted it, that's on him, ONLY if he provides proof that it does something. To say, AND I QUOTE,

"Don't need to provide evidence because I know it works perfect along with others noob.."

Isn't useful to the conversation at all. He's practically being a snake oil salesmen at that point. My only beef is that he comes off as "holier than thou" in his entire rhetoric and puts down anyone who disagrees with him or calls him out on it. He's being hypocritical child himself without acknowledging the fact all the while reporting people for the same attitude he puts out.

I know the demographic for this forum is people in their mid/to late 20s and beyond, but we need to provide evidence for anything we say because what if, later on when these cars become affordable and a kid does what Brooke says to do, and he's out a couple of grand because something fucked up in the gutting process or worse.

There's a reason why every other thread on here people ask for Dyno plots because it provides a numerical proof for people to say "Okay, maybe this is worth doing".
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      01-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #32
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

You don't understand, he built a 370z! He designed the closed deck block! He's got experience! And you shouldn't yell at him and ask him to prove any thing he's saying...you just gotta take it on trust
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #33
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

It seems as if this guy has some history that I don't know.

That being said I'm just saying that its plausible that what he did worked. We purchase different count down pipes to increase airflow. I imagine what he did achieved something similar. I wouldn't do it nor would recommend it without seeing the proof that you guys are asking for, and also making sure that there isn't pieces of cat rattling around. We haven't seen proof that it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #34
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Similarly, I'm thinking of removing some spokes from my wheels in order to lessen the car's weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #35
Yiruna
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
It seems as if this guy has some history that I don't know.

That being said I'm just saying that its plausible that what he did worked. We purchase different count down pipes to increase airflow. I imagine what he did achieved something similar. I wouldn't do it nor would recommend it without seeing the proof that you guys are asking for, and also making sure that there isn't pieces of cat rattling around. We haven't seen proof that it didn't work.
You have to realize when someone makes a claim, the claimant has to prove it to be true. We, as the argurers, aren't supposed to prove that it DOESNT not work. That's not how argumentation works.
      01-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #36
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Will it be more free flowing than stock? Yes, because you’re removing part of a restriction.

Will it be more free flowing that a 200 cell catted downpipe? No, because the remaining cat has a higher volume of cells (400?) than 200.

That’s where one of many problems are. He mentioned his innovation in a ‘looking to buy fabspeed sport cat’ thread, claiming gutting is equal to a 200 cell sport cat. No it’s not.

There’s no way doing this will be equal to or better than a 200 cell/catless downpipe.

No doubt it’ll increase flow (minimal) and some sound (again minimal), and it probably won’t throw a CEL. But if you’re doing this to “save money” you’re not because you’ll need to replace the stock downpipe one day which will cost more than the appropriate downpipe from the get go.

So if you’re looking for a 400 cell downpipe and don’t care about returning to stock, then go ahead and do this (again, I wouldn’t advise one to). But this is NOT a replacement for a sport cat.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

OK forum fellows, let's keep the discussion respectfully civilized.

That does not only concern responding to points of view, but also concerns the ability of those who make claims that people may disagree (especially if the claim would happen to be substantiated with a petitio principii reasoning).
      02-01-2018, 04:59 PM   #38
dtmpower98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

There's a secondary cat/res i believe he's talking about. Not ramming the OEM cat in the DP. Friend of mine did the secondary cat/res delete after already having a catless DP, increased Exhaust volume and backfires were a result after.
Follow me on Instagram- @dtmpower98
Appreciate 0